1.5 Weeks with Noise-Induced Tinnitus — What Should I Be Doing?

Discussion in 'Support' started by BDJ, Dec 1, 2016.

1. BDJ

BDJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise
      Firstly: What a great site and helpful info. Thank you all.

I have been dealing with noise-induced tinnitus now for 1.5 weeks.

I am learning more and more than most treatments are effective as soon as possible after the trauma, so I don't want to later regret not taking some sort of action now.

Am I missing anything? Obviously, I want to do everything I can to prevent this from being chronic.

Here is what I have done so far:

-Trauma occurred Nov 19.
      Ringing had decreased, but not gone away by 23, so I saw my GP. She suggested the typical herbs and suggested seeing the ENT if not gone away within a few weeks (realizing now that was not good advice).
      -Have been taking Gingko, Magnesium, Zinc, Tumeric, ALA, and Lipo Flavenoid (my thinking is I don't know what, if anything, will help, so I am taking everything I can).
      -Nov 30- Called to schedule appt with ENT (Dec 7).
      -Through this site, learned about the potential effectiveness of prednisone, so began 40mg per day as of yesterday (I do not want to get my hopes up, but this seems to be helping).
      - Also learned (through this site) about the HBOT therapy, so I have begun (just now) researching this as an option.
      - Learned about the AM-101, but it seems the trials are closed and the drug is not available (bad timing). Unless someone knows differently? Would love to try this.

What am I missing?

Appreciate all the help in advance.

2. jumping jack
      Probing

jumping jack Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental work
      One thing to add re: prednisone -- it seems quite a few people (myself included) started on a somewhat higher daily dose, e.g. 50mg (I was on 60). The duration of this therapy appears to vary depending upon the doc who prescribes the regimen; I was on 7 days at the 60mg dosage (though, I was taking prednisolone, which ends up being the same thing, but prednisolone is easier on the liver). Also, be aware that if you take it for 10 days or longer you'll want to taper it off, otherwise there is a small chance you might get nasty side effects. There can also be some unexpected side effects while you're on the drug; I had a few instances of anxiety attacks that I can only attribute to my prednisolone intake (e.g. waking up in the middle of the night in panic mode).

There are also a few forum threads about taking N-acetylcysteine (NAC) and Acetyl-L Carnitine (ALCAR) together for their supposedly healing properties in relation to the nervous system. You can try the forum search function to read up on the topic and judge the usefulness of those chemicals for yourself.

P.S. I'm not a medical professional, and I don't mean this post to be medical advice. Consult with your doc before you take take any action based on what I wrote.