1-Month Update — I Would Love Feedback!!

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jdborrelli, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Jdborrelli

Jdborrelli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      Hello all!

I'm at work so I'm going to make this as short as possible.

My T started 8/6/15 (one of the most memorable day of my life so far ) I went directly to an ENT who prescribed prednisone, which I absolutely recomend to any new comers. I would rate my initial T a 7 out of 10. It was like a fire alarm constantly going off in my left ear. The audiologist said I had no hearing lost up to 12k, but there was very slight damage to my hair cells but nothing that is abnormal. This was all within the first week and I though my life was over...

Cut to today...

It's weird because it changed so much! My T is now just in my head, not so much a specific ear. Honestly I think that was always the case but now I have a better understanding of it. I'm almost fully convinced that T has nothing to do with your ears and everything to do with a neurological issue. After all, I have always hated club, Bars and most other loud places and didn't do much to put my hearing in jeopardy. My T is now hardly noticable honestly it's about 75% quiter. Every now and then I will hear it spoke up but it lasts maybe 5 minutes max... Which I am hoping it will just keep getting better, who knows. I hear it at night but it's a different sound (not as high pitched) Sometimes I wonder if Ialways heard the new Sound and just ignored it or was used to it but now since i am aware of it, I notice it. Idk all in all my T (or lackthereof) hardly bothers me.

The bad news.

My ears have been really sensitive and match the description of hyperacusis. The only think is my audiogist did a test up to normal hearing toleration a and according to her it came back totally normal. The rest didn't bother me what does is sounds of silverware being dropped, typing on a computer, people smashing their coffee mugs down plastic bags, some peoples voices, loud high frequency sounds. It does hurt my ears it just feels uncomfortable and causes me anxiety. It's also pretty random. (For example: I can drive eight he windows down, listen to music in y car at around 80db, I went to a baseball game last night and I was basically fine) Some days are good others it bothers me! Is all hyperacusis permanent? Is this maybe just stress induced (Xanax actually helps my H which is why I wonder this) Is this how severe H begins? I don't understand how my T is getting better and now... H.

As far as how I'm doing mentally? Well I'm still depressed, still have suicidal thoughts, I just don't understand how to comprehend "forever" or worry about it getting worse... I WANT TO BE ABLE TO LIVE MY LIFE!!!!

Anyway thanks everyone, you have all been so helpful.... Way more than the doctors I paid over $1000 so far..

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi ,
      It sounds like you have sensitive ears so it's a case of slowly building up the time around the sounds your ears don't like and slowly is the key.

How you are feeling also interferes with how we react to sound.
      See your doctor about medication and talking therapy for your depression if you haven't already.
      Medication can take 4-6 weeks to kick in and a slow release one will help with slide effects .
      Going for a walk in the fresh air and any exercise will help release serotonin and help lift your mood too.
      Keep posting for support and please see your doctor to support you through your depression....lots of love glynis

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jdborrelli

Jdborrelli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      Thanks Glynis!

I saw the doctor for medication and she gave me Xanax to take when I have a panick attack. I don't want go go on depression medication because before my T I absolutely LOVED every single aspect of my life. In not exactly depressed I'm just... Frustuated, confused.... Idk it's hard to explain but in sure everyone here knows.

Also i haven't stopped doing my normal activities. I work I travel ( I was in Miami last week and I'm going to DC this week!) when in out with my friends things are the best. But working is the worst time for me because I have a stressful job and amplifies everything. I am thinking about Taking a leave.

My biggest worry is this H now. I am gettig the hang of T but H is a whole nother animal that idk how I would be able to live with. In time inwill figure it out I guess but coming here helps short term. Thanks for listening!!

4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi ,
      Great you have some medication of your doctor and im sure will help you a lot cope with your Hyperacusis...lots of love glynis