16 and Living with Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by FayLiz, Jan 23, 2017.

1. FayLiz

FayLiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert (Noise Trauma)
      Hi guys,

I'd say my tinnitus first began when my ears started to 'spike' for a few seconds and return to normal, this was in 2015. I went to concert a few months after this began and I now had permanent tinnitus.

My dad has awful tinnitus, he can't mask it with any sound and it worsened after a friend fired a gunshot close to his unprotected ear. I am unsure if I just have weak ears which are more susceptible to damage, or if this is partly due to genetics or both. However, it is worth noting I have been to a lot of concerts without ear plugs, they were mainly when I was younger with my parents which I feel may have contributed to my 'weak ears'.

Anyway, I went to a friends sisters 21st birthday back in early 2016 and I was quite near to the speaker, I unfortunately forgot my earplugs and my tinnitus got worse after that. I used to enjoy going to parties with my friends but I find the music is still loud and I get ringing in my ears after them.

I am too anxious to go to parties now in fear that the music is too loud, I'm scared my earplugs will not block out most of the sound and my tinnitus will step up to the next level. My friends always tell me the music is not that loud and say that tinnitus is surely not that bad, only if they understood!

On a day to day basis my tinnitus is fine. I can't hear it outside, when i'm busy or when i'm in a classroom working. It becomes focal when I'm listening for it (like now) or a night but I have no trouble sleeping.

Tinnitus was hard to get used to a first, especially with someone who struggles with anxiety, tinnitus brought me a lot of stress. I'm also afraid for the future when I'm going to clubs and other parties, if anyone could give me any tips on what to do that would be great.

I'm also not afraid of being judged for wearing earplugs as those who go to concerts and clubs without any will only suffer more in the future.

I actually have noticed two of my friends who often go to concerts have trouble hearing, which is not a good sign. Thank you for your help!

Fay

2. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      You're very mature for your age.

You'll have to listen to your body to know where your limits stand. It seems that you do that already.

If you feel like a place is too loud for you (earplugs or not), it's probably the case. You'll always be able to enjoy music and to have a good time with your friends in other places.

Don't stop living. Just acknowledge that you'll have to make your own choices sometimes (no matter how difficult they can be), and you'll live a very happy life.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      well put @Foncky ....
      Keep your noise reduction plugs in if go to places that are loud and excessive sound can pass through your mastoid bone behind your ear even with plugs in so keep away from speakers...
      Keep having lots of fun as thats what gets you through the down times just be sensible with sound thats not everyday noise..
      Lots of love glynis

4. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      And more important, listen to @glynis !!! :cool:

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      FayLiz

FayLiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert (Noise Trauma)
      Thank you for your replies, i'll be sure to take in board your advice. I feel tinnitus often holds me back, but it's not necessary a bad thing. Tinnitus is just my body's way of stopping myself from exposing my ears to music that is too loud (I shouldn't have done that anyway but we all make mistakes). I now know that my ears won't be suffering in the future if i continue to protect my ears and limit exposure.

Thanks again!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Karl28
      No Mood

Karl28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 bad since 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music via headphones
      Im the same way

Got my T when I was 15

Never really went out to loud events after that.
      I mean a few hours of fun isnt worth an increase in T

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      FayLiz

FayLiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert (Noise Trauma)
      On the bright side Karl, T prevents us from damaging our ears at concerts, festivals and clubs for years to come!

8. Fungus
      Dreaming

Fungus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus?
      Some of us escaped years of listening to music too loud for our ears' sake and only needed a bit of a virus to end up with tinnitus. Whatever the cause, forgive yourself the past, it cannot be changed , but the future is open to modification.

Keep on living life to the full. Wear the earplugs when you go to loud events, but don't stop going. Advise your non-tinnitus friends to do the same (even more important to those who have suffered such early hearing loss) Some events now even start to suggest the wearing of ear plugs (though they should really make sure that the volume is controlled). But live like you want.

Many musicians suffer with tinnitus, so you're in an elite club......unfortunately most of us can't terminate our membership.....but we're along with the great and the good (and some of the not-so-good), and many admirable historical figures also were members during their lifetimes.

There probably is a genetic susceptibility. My father, myself, and my daughter are all affected. However, tinnitus is also a common condition, though severe 24/7 tinnitus less so.

I'm sorry that you young folk have developed tinnitus, but, hopefully with your nice pliable brains you will develop very efficient habituation and handle it very well in time. Also there is the real hope that during your lifetime a cure will be found. Good luck to you all.

Fungus

• Like Like x 1