19 with Tinnitus, No Hearing Loss

Discussion in 'Support' started by Daniel211, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Daniel211

Daniel211 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi. First post here. I'm 19 and have been dealing with tinnitus for what I feel like has been at least 3-5 months (not entirely sure when it started) and have gone to a ear doctor twice, once to get my ear examined, everything was fine, and then another time to get my hearing checked, everything was fine! Usually that would be cause for relief since I knew my ears were ok but it really just made me more anxious as to what could be causing it.

I've had a history of health anxiety, I've swore I've had several illnesses when I ended up not having them, and I've honestly conquered it entirely. The thing is, with other things I assumed I had the symptoms were usually just me thinking I was experiencing symptoms of whatever ailment I thought I may have had. But with Tinnitus I can't possibly be imagining it or tricking myself into thinking I have it, it's there and it can get really annoying! lol

I'm usually pretty good at ignoring it (until it's time to go to bed of course, that's when it bothers me most) but my mind does tend to wander and think things like "oh my god I think I might have a brain tumor" or "oh my god I think I might be going deaf"

I know it's probably irrational, and that anxiety probably only makes it worse, but it's tough not to worry sometimes...

One of the main causes of my anxiety over Tinnitus is that I occasionally get rather obscure (I'm hesitant to call them pains) in random places along my head, and also sometimes in what feels like my inner ear. I feel like this is more than likely just a symptom of anxiety so I'm hesitant to bother my parents and have me go to the doctor to get a scan or anything like that..

Honestly I'm just posting here for some reassurance.

What would you guys recommend a 19 year old who's perfectly healthy yet suffering from tinnitus with absolutely no hearing loss do? Should I get a CAT scan? Or should I just try to move past it?

2. IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      How did it all start? Is the hearing completely alright? Did you make audiometry up to 8 kHz? If you can, attach the audiogram here. That is, in the daytime he does not bother you especially ?! How do you rate the volume on a four-point scale.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Daniel211

Daniel211 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I want to say it started like 3-5 months ago, it was shortly after i got over my health anxiety (at the time i swore i had something wrong with my heart) so i was stressing a lot. And i'm not sure about the audiometry or whatever, the lady who conducted test said i had more than perfect hearing. I have the audiogram somewhere but not with me at the moment.. In the daytime it hardly bothers me due to noise around me masking it i would say, but it's still there.

If i had to rate the volume of the ringing on a 4 point scale i'd say it's a 2

I should also mention that i spend a lot of time on my desktop computer