2 Days with Tinnitus After Night Club — What Should I Do?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Gonz, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Gonz

Gonz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Load sound - Acoustic trauma
      Hello every one. I'm new here, I'm from Chile.

Like most people who comes here in the first place, I'm terrified. This past thursday night I was in a night club, with VERY load music and near the speakers. After that, I had severe pain in my left ear, wich subsided very quickly (40 minutes to an hour probably) but the ringing is still here and it's driving me crazy. I have read that you should go to see your doctor asap. Here I can't get an appointment until a couple of weeks. However, I have some prednisone and I know how to use it, because I have used it many times in the past for other skin problems. If anyone could advice me.... should I take prednisone asap? and maybe avoid some permanent damage? I'm not clear if it's actually indicated in cases like mine. Or what should I do? I'm sorry, but I'm in panic right now. I can't imagine living the rest of my life with this ringing in my ears. Need some advice please! Thanks.

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gonz

Gonz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Update: Finally I decided to take prednisone. I've just taken 60mg, because some says that it may help with the healing during the first 48 hours. Now I'm getting ready for the bad anxiety that prednisone causes me.

3. Kane Moffat
      Badass

Kane Moffat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Yeah stay on in for 5-6 days then taper down. Avoid all loud noise for the next few weeks, stay hydrated as well.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gonz

Gonz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, thanks, that's what I'm going to do.

5. heartohelp

heartohelp Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      Hey gonz,

welcome to the forum. I got my T from noise trauma just like you. I have some questions for you:

1. Has your T volume changed since it started?
      2. Does your T also have other background noises such as hissing, crickets, a feeling of "fullness"?
      3. Is your T constant, or does it come and go?
      4. And lastly, can you hear your T ONLY when you focus on it or in bed, or do you hear it when outside?

Like what Kane mentioned, from this point forward:

1. NO LOUD MUSIC or SOUNDS (ambulance, construction workers using machines like drills, etc) indefinitely
      2. Rest and do your best to eat healthy (lots of vegetables, fruits, limit caffeine, make sure you're drinking enough water)
      3. SLEEP! If you can't sleep at night because of the noise and you don't have a white noise machine, just go to youtube and search for "white noises" and use that as a background so it minimizes the T and also allows you to focus on other sounds.

If you have any other questions, feel free to message me.

Regards
      GP

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gonz

Gonz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi GP. Thank you very much for the advices!

The questions:

1- Maybe a few changes. Last night was less noticeable (10 hours after prednisone). And today when I woke up it was also less noticeable, but then, a few minutes later , I can hear it high again.
      2- I think that yes. Some times it feels more like a hissing and other times it's similar to an untuned TV channel with the static noise, and here is when I have the feeling of "fullness" probably.
      3- It's been almost constant I would say, except for last night, when it felt a lot better.
      4- I can hear it when I'm in my room, even with the TV turned on, or while talking with someone on the phone. But when I'm outside, I probably can't hear it.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gonz

Gonz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      By the way, I took 40mg of prednisone, not 60. I decided to add 10 extra mg, because it's supposed that the dose for tinnitus should be around 50mg. I'm no sure if I should start with 60mg.

I decided to stick with 60 mg.

8. heartohelp

heartohelp Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      I'm no doctor, but from what you've answered regarding my questions, I think it's a positive sign into the right direction in terms of healing.

First, you said your T has changed, since you noticed it again after waking up (you probably started focusing on it) I strongly suggest you don't "LOOK" for your T

Second, the fact it is changing in tones was something I also went through. For me, the hissing noise was the best noise if i had to choose between a high pitched tone, a "fullness" feeling or crickets etc.

Lastly, you said your T is starting to become intermittent (comes and goes). Which further wants me to say your ears are starting to heal (albeit slowly).

Keep covering your ears, protecting them and staying away from loud sounds. I cant strongly recommend enough the importance of resting during this period, eating extremely healthy (like following the food pyramid, lots of veggies and fruits, abstain from caffeine) and staying positive. Please keep us updated on your recovery. Best of luck and regards.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gonz

Gonz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks again.

For some reason my T decreases at night and when waking up, and gets worse during the day. I think this must not be common.

Today I tried foam earplugs and it makes my tinnitus x1000 times worse, it actually causes a spike. Every time I put the ear plugs, my T goes crazy, so I can't use them more than a few minutes, because the only thing I can hear is the T.

In the night my T switches from hissing to something like the high note that a TV emits, and then sounds like a fridge, and then it's like pure vibration with a sound that I can not distinguish very well... It's constantly changing. For me the hissing is the worse, far more invasive than the rest.

10. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Why would you think that? I've seen many reports on this forum about this, and as many about the opposite.
      I'm like that too: wake up to a 5-6 ramping up to an 8-9 by dinner time.
      I used to wake up to a slightly lower T, so something must be worsening somewhere for me.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gonz

Gonz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have no idea. But I believe there must be some physical factors, I don't think there's any external reason for me.