20-Year-Old with Noise-Induced Tinnitus, I Am Scared

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Zora, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Zora
      Depressed

Zora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1st time: Megaphone ;2nd time: headphones too loud
      Hi Guys,
      I am new here. I had T for exactly one month now, and now I decided to create an account.
      So I went to the ENT, got cortison, ginkgo biloba, infuisons, took magnesium, zinc and Vitamin B.
      i am really scared because my Tinnitus is noise-induced, and I feel like there is less chance of getting better ? :/ let me tell you how I got my T.

First time I had tinnitus was after someone screamed in my ear with a megaphone for about 1 hour while I was driving (long story) I was driving, the girl with the megaphone sitting behind me.
      That was March 2014.
      after tha I had MASSIVE T so fucking loud for 3 days straight that I couldnt even understand what people were saying. I didnt go to the doctor though.
      But after 4 days it calmed down. So much that I didnt hear it. But in discos I always used to wear earplugs. And after a night out it rang a little, but always got better and I had no problems at all.

Then in december 2015 I had 1 week when I was really depressed. So I listened to music on my Iphone on MAXIMUM volume for about 1 hour each day for 7 days straight. My ears were already ringing on the 3rd day but I kept ignoring it. I have H as well now... ia m only 20... i am so scared :( I know it was stupid but I juts wanted to escape reality for a bit

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Vicki14
      Panicky

Vicki14 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Hello @Zora , like you, I'm am fairly new to this too. I've only just had it since 4th January. I've been through all sorts of emotions and really struggled with it. I became so frustrated that I've made such a huge effort to try and get on with things best I can and have my ENT appointment Next week, so will see what they say! I've found that trying to be relaxed as you possibly can helpful, not easy... I know. I've been drinking herbal camomile tea at night, putting lavender on my pillow, swimming and keeping busy. I've not been as stressed about it so maybe this is the habituation thing? There's still time for us that this may settle... So look after your ears and don't irritate them. Try and keep strong and be as positive as you can! Big hugs! Xx

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. daniel1111
      Shitfaced

daniel1111 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, repeated exposure with loud headphones.
      Hi Zora,

My tinnitus was also noise induced and not from one incident. I upgraded my sound system and listened to music really loud with my headphones (peak 115+ dB) for hours almost every day for MONTHS.

I had some very tough times with it. I haven't had tinnitus as long as many people here, but I've definitely gone through the full cycle. Deep depression, suicidal thoughts, insomnia, just completely struggling and being unable to live or imagine living.

Skip forward to know, my tinnitus doesn't bother me. It's much quieter than it was at first, a lot of the time I don't hear it. I don't think it will ever go away completely, but it doesn't bother me now. I may worry about it a little bit if I'm really tired, hungover or down from caffeine or something.

I think your tinnitus can get better, but even if it doesn't, you will be able to cope with it much better and not be bothered by it.

Try to be positive, get a good sleep every night, and do things that make you happy and distract you from the sound. When you feel bad, tinnitus sounds words, so it's important to keep depression away (which tinnitus can easily cause). Also, not sure if you are, but don't try to listnen out for the sound and don't ask yourself if it's louder or quieter or what. just distract yourself away from it and take it a day at a time!

Good luck,
      Daniel

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. Shuffle
      Gloomy

Shuffle Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Heavy Metal & Machinery
      I got my T from working with heavy machinery, going to (many) gigs and DJing at clubs. I remember clearly all the feelings you are having now when I realised what I had done, I was 24. The anxiety, depression and (for me at least!) complete panic at times. Your T may well subside over the coming months, down to a more manageable level. For now, take every day as it comes and carry decent earplugs with you at all times! I agree heartily with everything Daniel says above. Good Luck.

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. Nick Pyzik
      Depressed

Nick Pyzik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/23/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Listening to in-ear headphones & playing in a band
      How does music sound for you now? Do you enjoy it still? Have you listened to music through headphones lately?

6. AnxiousJon
      Magical

AnxiousJon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety, Insomnia, and a Fan at Night
      Very common pattern on the forum;
      Noise + Anxiety/Depression = T/T with H.
      Getting yor mental health under control will be even more important for your recovery. Some meds might help give you a jumpstart.
      Self-loathing/shame is something I think we all go through in this process.
      Say goodbye to headphones. You can listen to speakers. Try to modify the EQ to have less treble, or get some speakers that have no sub and no top-end. I found a perfect lil set at a secondhand store for a few bucks.
      Don't overprotect your ears. Just protect them from painful sounds, though you won't always be able to succeed; it's a noisey world.
      Your life isn't over, but you may end up having to become a bit more of a peaceful/restful soul (certainly a less drepressed/manic one).

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Shuffle
      Gloomy

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Heavy Metal & Machinery
      Yes, I think I've mentioned before on here I was in the middle of, what still is, the most stressful time of my life by a mile when my T started. I wasn't so much anxious, but certainly suffering depression, stress, sleep deprived etc.

• Informative Informative x 1
    8. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Yep sounds like another huge acoustic trauma to me. Hopefully this T will settle down for you again.
      Might take some time though but you still have good chances... just try to keep calm and do your best to ignore it for now. Try to relax and avoid loud places for now. Don't use your headphones! if you can't avoid loud situations, make sure to protect your ears with good ear plugs.
      Don' t worry, if your T stays, you're still most likely going to be ok. It can take some time but you'll adapt to the new situation as everyone else already said.

Lass den Kopf nicht hängen!

• Like Like x 1
    9. michaelbio

michaelbio Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Teenager
      If someone yelled into a megaphone while I was driving, I would literally induce tinnitus right back at the bitch and/or murder. Anyhow, I hope you start to feel better.

• Funny Funny x 2
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zora
      Depressed

Zora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks guys. I am avoiding loud places. And I never used headphones again
      . Ahahah yes Michael :D that girl is my friend and she doesnt feel bad at all. Sometimes I think the right diet would help me. i have an eating disorder and I am addicted to sugar. I eat about 6000 kcal a day. No junk food, but just a lot of food in general. But I cant feel food or salt affecting my T. In fact, my T never changes no matter what I eat. I am not fat but unhealthy and unfit.... I am just scared and my anxiety level is really high. I am trying relaxing tequnies..but yeah :(

11. AnxiousJon
      Magical

AnxiousJon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Your brain is high alert. This is an experience that up to this point was alien to you. Once your subconscious mind realizes this sound is not a threat it it will move to the background, even if it is very loud. Your conscious mind has to understand that this isn't something to be scared of; only dealt with in an appropriate way so you can enjoy all kinds of stuff--perfect time in your life to try new things.
      On a side note, you seem very high-strung, with an over-revved metabolism. Have you been tested for hyperthyroidism?

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    12. baz 22
      Alone

baz 22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Just remember it could still disappear on its own, that's what Im hoping for anyway.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zora
      Depressed

Zora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you jon :) I agree concerning the mind thing, I have to try and stop seeing T as the enemy.I have to say that its true that my brain is high-alert. but this is not an alien unknown situation new to me because I suffer from Derealization since 10 months.
      . No I havent been diagnosed with that. Why should I have that?

14. AnxiousJon
      Magical

AnxiousJon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zora
      Depressed

Zora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hmm...ok but I have none of that?

16. Nick Pyzik
      Depressed

Nick Pyzik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/23/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Listening to in-ear headphones & playing in a band
      Noise induced tinnitus is damage to the nerve fibers in your inner ear. You lost the connection between the nerves and the hair cells. I started my hearing issues from listening to music through headphones all the time.

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zora
      Depressed

Zora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nick, do you have hearing loss? I fortunately dont..
      ok. by "all the time" you mean how long? and did you use moderate volume?
      bc I used MAX. Volume. like reaaaallly loud.

18. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      The thing with noise-induced is that you can build up damage overtime.. lets say you listen to moderate music for long periods and very often, and sometimes party or are exposed to loud music, it will build up and next time it could take just a little too high of a sound or exposure that would get you T. I have been on three concerts in my life, one in 2005, 2012 and now in Dec 2015. I got T on my last one, and I believe that blasting music in the higher moderate volume in my new Beats by Dre and having headphones on at work all day built up damage. The concert was loud but I believe that was the last nail in the coffin. It might have been something like that for you too. I'd advice to be careful with music now, once it is damaged, it can be damaged again. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zora
      Depressed

Zora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you fangen :) yes I see....yeah...before that 1 week, I listened for 4 months to music on high volume with earphones. And that 1 week was insane, and that was the last nail in the coffin, like you said :cry:. the ENT told me to avoid loud noises.
      But I have a question. For how long do I have to avoid that. i mean, I dont plan to go to concerts, or to the Disco ever again, but some situations are going to inevitable? I'll use earplugs for the rest of my life in noisy situations.
      How are you doing Fangen, what did you try so far, and how loud is you T? I think ur and my situation is similar.

20. Shuffle
      Gloomy

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Heavy Metal & Machinery
      I still go out, and go to gigs. I'm going to one on Saturday. A good set of earplugs and standing somewhere sensible and it's fine. I've not had an increase from a gig since my initial problems. You're back to how much risk you want to take though. Personally, I feel sitting in at home worrying about T is worse than risking it and going to a gig and having a blast and doing it safely. Put your plugs in on the bus there and take them out when you come out again. Job sorted. Chin up. :). I've only ever had someone pass comment once, and they kept quiet about it after I explained! My friends know, they know it's just how it has to be for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zora
      Depressed

Zora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Fangen did you T get quieter, since it started?

22. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      @Zora,

I have went to movies, bars etc since my Ts started. However I use my plugs at the movies and always bring a pair when I go out. Just in case the loudness is too high or discomfortable.
      My T haven't got more quiet, or it feels like it but I think it is because of my perception. I don't listen to it, my brain isn't in full fight mode where it is desperate to shout out warnings about the new noise. If I were to listen for it now it's become louder of course.

I think you should rest your ears for a few weeks, then slowly and carefully use headphones (do stay away from in-ear ones) with low volume and in shorter sessions. Just to test out your ears. I've noticed my ears gets tired faster than before, so that is why I recommend to listen to your body.

I haven't done much. I take regular vitamins, magnesium, vitamin C etc. Just regular dose from the pharmacy. Otherwise I keep busy with work and playing video games. Being active helps a lot. You'll be fine :) i know that!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zora
      Depressed

Zora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      so yeah...I am happy to say, that I feel like my T has gone down a little.
      but maybe I am wrong.
      So on Thursday, there was a big houseparty of one of my friends. there were a lot of people I know and like.
      I wanted to go so bad (especially because there is a girl I really like:oops::love:) But I didnt bc I was scared my T could get worse....bc I knew that it was going to be loud..and I know that I should avoid loud places from now on..but I am missing out on life :(
      I am thinking about taking Retigabine(Trobalt) bc I dont know what to do else?