3 & 4 CD Scans Found Reason for My Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Greg Sacramento, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      I had a series of brand new technology in my area of 3 and 4 CD scans done from my lower spine up. This was done at a private imaging center. My spine, shoulders, mouth, jaw and ears and nose were examined. Each scan was done sitting in a chair. The scanning was silent and each scan took 30 to 45 seconds each. Every nerve, vein, bone and aspect was examined. I received a 100 page report with pictures. They found many age related issues. TMJ was typically adaptive and not progressive. Sinuses and airways are fine. Spine problems were many but with a previous ruptured C5, I know there's were problems. Neck is fine. Teeth - no violations of nerves or a hundred other things mentioned in mouth, tongue and jaw - other then age related.

My external auditory canal nerves has moved within the canal in both ears touching the side of the canal. This happened according to them during ear syringing seven years ago. All other radiological exams never picked up on this. Surgery placing a spilt between the nerves and canal should improve my hearing, but I will be deaf for a while after surgery. Permanent deafness is rare, but does happen. Enough hair cells are alive in the cochlea of the inner ear to probably regain most of my hearing back. Will my tinnitus be helped. They expect improvement in my tinnitus. Previous results for others since June 2016 using this new technology has been from 0 to 100%. If I don't have this surgery my conditions will worsen with age.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. light rain

light rain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      That sounds incredible the scan is able to produce so much detail. Do you know if it is more or less radiation or just better technology or both.

3. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I'm not really picturing this. These nerves in the external auditory canal aren't carrying sound signal, are they? They have nothing to do with the nerves transmitting the sound information from the cochlea to the auditory cortex, correct?

If so, how is their displacement creating tinnitus for you? What's the hypothesis there?

4. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Also when you talk about "3 and 4 CD scans" are you sure about your terminology? Are these CT scans?
      Do you mean you just got 3 or 4 CT scans done?
      I'm trying to figure out if it's a new technology or just a relatively old (CT) tech that you are just misspelling.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I went over the federal radiation guidelines, but I had to be certified in radiation exposure, safety and this and that when I was with the hospital. Federal radiation exposure over limits with radiology examination is nothing more than a sun full day at the beach.

I am afraid of having the surgery. The part about deafness. If I don't, they say it will get worse with age. Most of the time now, it's unbearable. I hate it when it goes from a 10 to a 5, like the last few days and then roars like a jet back to a ten in seconds. Most of the time lately, I'm at a high pitch screaming ten.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Greg: 3D and 4D has been around for awhile, but the computer imaging was improved about a year ago. The written report in broken down into sections. The first section is observations and findings. Dental, TMJs, Sinuses, Nose: Airway, Neck, Ears and Spine. The second section is titled: Other Findings and the third section is titled: Impressions.
      The consultation finding include other doctors. The radiologist for the scans themselves are associated with BeamReaders.

Other Finding: They say that left and right external auditory canals are narrowed which are incidentally noted within consultation. The treatment of external auditory canal (EAC) stenous with nerve imposed slope requires a stent or splint. (BBC) basel cell carinema is not noted.

7. light rain

light rain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      My Dad was a respitory therapist and used to work in the ER a lot. He'd have a button that would say when he'd had enough radiation. He's also had a number of ct scans because he can't have MRI. It doesn't concern him much either.

Any surgery is scary. Sounds like at least you know now and you can wait for a bit anyway to make the desicion.

8. nogood
      Procrastinating

nogood Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity/infection
      What is the exact name of the scans ?
      I have tmj issues had couple of scans ct scans but they did not reveal much.
      I am not familiar with CD scans

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Greg: One on a second page of finding, it's saying that EAC is narrow with a imposed slope. Positioning of stents will be needed before surgery to able induce metabolic activity of the tympanic membrane in axis to the malleus.

Is this all clear to me? NO
      I guess that's why they talk about being deaf after the operation for a period of time.
      What is a period of time?

I will sure have some questions for them tomorrow. Tried several times today with no luck.

10. nogood
      Procrastinating

nogood Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity/infection
      I recommend that you go to another doctor for second consultation
      Different dr have different opinions and experiences, esp when surgery is involved second consult is always a good idea.

• Agree Agree x 2
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @nogood

On the part under - OBSERVATIONS
      DENTAL FINDINGS

TMJs - The condyles are normal in size and shape with smooth, rounded, well-corticated contours. There is evidence of flattening on the superior aspect of the condylar heads and along the posterior slope of the articular eminence on both sides. Both condyles are nearly centered in the respective glenoid fossa and dimensions of the joint spaces are within normal limits.

IMPRESSIONS: TMJ findings are consistent with osseous remolding, most likely of functional orgin. These changes are typically adaptive and not progressive.

Then they included pages of scans on everything in my mouth.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @nogood:
      All the doctors are tops in their field.

Under Dr. Notes, they conclude that I have both subjective and somatic tinnitus.
      "Dental implant relation to IAN, patient received somatic tinnitus." That is true. I walked out the implant visit with added somatic tinnitus. They talk about the closeness of the mandibular branch to the front lower dental implant. The scan shows that it also touches that nerve.

I had subjective T for almost 7 years from high powered loud ear syringing which messed up my ears according to the doctors and scans talked about in this thread.

• Like Like x 1
    13. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      What is a 3 and 4 CD scan? Do you have a website for the clinic or doctors that are treating you?

I would be hesitant to go into surgery. Especially at the risk of losing your hearing, something sounds a little suspect in my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. nogood
      Procrastinating

nogood Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity/infection
      @Greg Sacramento
      I suggested second consult because as you I will also be worry abt going deaf.

I have been to TOP drs for my tmj issue and T in 3 different countries, I choose the least invasive treatment. Took it step by step. I went to different types of dr too allopathic homeopathic traditional Chinese medicine (Tmc) acupuncture
      It was tmc dr who figured out tmj issues and suggested I go that route.

TOP dr or not you are just another patient, most of them will not even listen or they don't have time to listen to you, luckily for me I have couple school mates who are drs And couple of relatives who are drs. They explain things to me or suggest alternatives.

Bottom line second consult is not gonna hurt ( if money is not big problem), if they suggested same route you can be more confident to take the surgery.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @yonkapin I am hesitant to go into surgery. I had a problem with drug medications way before I had tinnitus.

Because I find it stressful, for only short periods of time, I'm comparing my scans to scans on the internet. On my scans the external auditory canals appears to be smaller than compared to scans and pictures on the internet. My tympanic membrane also in comparison to pictures and scans on the internet seems to be to close and maybe overlapping other parts of the ear. I guess that powerful ear syringing years ago started these problems.

Now with the new lower front implant touching my mandibular branch nerve - that can cause somatic tinnitus. I had high pitch, moving ear to ear with different sound levels not long after leaving the dentist office. It's too late to repair that nerve. It has to be done quickly.

Thanks for thoughts

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @nogood - Thanks also

For a second opinion, I would to see doctor Ben Balough. He wrote an article that myself and many others have used a link for. The article is: Charpter 42 Delayed Treatment of Otologic Trauma. He was formerly Chair Department of otolaryngology surgery for the Navel Medical Center. His office is 25 minutes from me. Problem is that he is booked for 6 months.

Thanks everyone. I like to be a giver and not a taker, but I really do thank everyone here.

• Like Like x 1
    17. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      That sounds suspicious to me. I'd certainly recommend a second and third opinion before getting into surgery. Ear surgery is no joke - I know first hand (or should I say "first ear"?).

No matter how smart you think your doctors are, more opinions can make a very big difference. My original CT scan was analyzed by a radiologist who wrote that "everything is normal" on the report. 3 doctors "looked at it" and said it was OK, but that one other doctor found something suspicious, and he turned out to be right. I'm glad I was persistent.

Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
    18. Halsy

Halsy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept. 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Abscess tooth
      Greg, what is the clinic where you got them or the name of these scans? I've searched for them as well and Google comes back with nothing except it's ultrasound generally used for pregnant women. Thanks.

19. Rafaa

Rafaa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who knows? I have Patulous ET and ETD + Other things
      @Greg Sacramento I would like to know too please.