3 Weeks In, Now In Good Ear?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Farah, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Farah
      Wisdomatic

Farah Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise - Standing next to speaker at 2 day festival.
      Hi all,

So it's been 3 weeks since my tinnitus started in my right ear from acoustic trauma (you can check my previous post for details).

It was always mild, a little louder the first week but dropped significantly the second week to a level 1/2.
      Of course I still worried, imagining it getting worse etc... and last week became obsessed with it developing in my left ear as this ear was the quiet one, sometimes rang for a few seconds, mostly at night but at least it was quiet 99% of the time.
      So like a mad woman, I kept plugging my ear to check if it was still good and low and behold a few days later I have tinnitus in both ears now.
      They're both on the same level. The left one started 2 days ago and it was a little louder but now seems to be the same as the right.
      I am absolutely terrified that it's only downwards from here, very worried that it'll get louder and become unbearable.
      The worst part is I had actually accepted my right ear and ignored it most days. But now I'm back to square one...

I understand that my left ear was also damaged from the loud music and that perhaps it's just a delayed tinnitus development. But I'm also sad that perhaps I brought it on by checking it all the time and worrying about it.

I would also like to note that the day previous to it developing in my left ear, I started taking magnesium supplements which I bought at the pharmacy.

Who knows...

Is it normal for it to develop in the other ear? Has anyone else had this happen?

2. AZeurotuner

AZeurotuner Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I seems to be based on what I've read here, although I got my T so long ago I can't even remember how it started. I will say that I'd MUCH rather have it in both ears than one. About a year ago I had this weird day where the T in my right ear was practically nonexistent while it was blaring in left. It was VERY annoying, I felt off balance, and it was frustrating being able to hear better with my right ear (due to the T being so quiet, usually it blocks out some noise). Maybe the spread of T to the other ear is the bodies way of equalizing itself... Just a thought.

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Farah
      Wisdomatic

Farah Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, perhaps it is. It's just very depressing as you get all sorts of worries along with the changes, that perhaps it'll get louder or something.
      But I understand what you're saying, I'm sorry it sparked up on you like that, every day for me is a worry of it becoming worse. I can live with it if it stays at this level but if it got louder... really don't know how I'd cope.

4. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Farah, try not to keep monitoring the noise levels, especially by plugging your ears. This is the mistake I have made for years. You are basically telling your brain that the noise is important. Constantly monitoring it can only enhance it and keep you focussed on it, which is the opposite of what you want to achieve, which is to ignore it. Mine is so loud now, I have no choice but to hear it. I dont need to be in a quiet room or plug my ears, as it screams away quite nicely 24/7 no matter what background sounds there are. Probably due to the high pitches I hear, as much as the volume itself.
      So please dont make the mistake I have made. At this early stage I believe it is so important to do your best to not monitor it and try to distract your mind with good sounds, like soft nature sounds or a learn to play a gentle musical instrument, like the classical guitar which helps me at times.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Farah
      Wisdomatic

Farah Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Tweaker
      You are so right, I really am making it worse by focusing on it. I noticed ignoring it at first (when it was only in the right ear) that it actually seemed to disappear.
      But it's just hard when you get it all over again in the other ear. I will try my absolute best to ignore it.

Has your tinnitus always been this loud? And was it from acoustic trauma?

6. Adzy
      Transparent

Adzy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 18, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Middle Ear Infection
      Farah,

I am two weeks in. Mine was due to a middle ear infection, but I imagine the damage is similar whether the inner ear is flooded like a basement that needs time to clean up, or in your case, a tornado has come through tearing part of the house done, and it needs some time to re-build itself. I personally believe there are ways to expedite the healing. You are only 3 weeks in. Sounds like a lot, but its not as ears can take a while to heal. My ENT said don't even come back to me until its been 6 weeks. Big question though: Have you had a hearing test done? Please click on my member name and visit my original post just yesterday. "Beating Temporary Tinnitus" . I'm a beginner with you in this. We can heal! And my ringing feels like it has shifted to the right ear at times, but is primarily in the left. So don't worry about the shift.

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Farah
      Wisdomatic

Farah Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Adzy

Thanks so much for being so reassuring, I haven't had a hearing test done yet as I thought I'd give it a month before going (as I figured my ears were not healed up enough over the past 3 weeks). My gp said the same thing about 6 weeks, and I'm really really hoping we can make it through this. My ringing like I said isn't very loud, which I am grateful for but it's the fear of it getting worse.
      I will check out your post now :)

• Like Like x 1
    8. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      No, noisy jobs led to it becoming louder. Even after moving to office job it has gotten louder but the damage had already been done.

9. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Yeah same happened with me , I started wit my right ear then 1 week later started on my left different tone

10. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      Mine was only on the left ear, then migrated to the right ear and it equaled out over time. After 1 month it was clear both ears were gonna have it. Sadly even if your t is cleared, your ears are still going to be damaged and you will have to spend your life protecting it. Make sure to wear plugs when you can.

11. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      Also try not to never wear headphones again. Especially ear buds. If you absolutely must, then only use open back headphones so that sound pressure can escape. And I you still go to movie theaters and concerts, and say you wear ear plugs to them and you feel they spiked your T, then stop going to those as well. But honestly, I would stop going to them and not use headphones. T can get worse in an instant in those situations and its not worth the risk for a life long mistake. You can increase your chances of keeping it as it is if you are willing to met some life changes. You're still in the early stages and you still have a lot of time for it to potentially go away. Did you try Steroids?