36 Hours of Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by mrkrabs, Jun 9, 2018.

1. mrkrabs

mrkrabs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Hi everybody, first post. I recently attended an extremely loud metal concert front row for almost 3 hours, stupidly, without any ear protection. Afterwards, I had the muffledness and ringing that accompanies loud concerts, and I assumed it would be gone by the morning. I’ve had this ringing only once or twice, and it usually goes away within a few hours. But 36 hours later, while the ringing has subsided, I’m worried about how long this could last. I know my ears are damaged, but what are my chances of recovery or having permanent tinnitus? And what can I do now to speed up healing?

• Like Like x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      It's gotten better so I think your chances are pretty good. In the meantime, welcome to the site!

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    3. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      the best thing you can do is get a oral steroid called predisone and give your ears a huge rest. No head phones

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      • Like Like x 2
    5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I have been counting months since the onset. I like the idea of counting hours since the onset...

I see the exact figure is close to 11796 hours. Nine days from now will be my 500th day.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    6. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Nobody can predict how it will go, but then trending you describe seems pretty good.
      Still, if I were in your shoes, I'd be giving my ears a rest.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mrkrabs

mrkrabs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Thanks everybody. I’ve been wearing plugs in loud places just to make sure I don’t overwork my ears while they’re healing.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. New Guy
      Doh

New Guy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      @Bill Bauer

I didn't realize you had t for so long. I thought you were just over a year. Thanks for all you do on the site promoting caution with t. I just realized it's a longer road ahead than I thought.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mrkrabs

mrkrabs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Update: I think it may be getting better, there’s still a bit of the high frequency, but the “static” and random sounds are gone. Really a wake up call to be careful with my ears next time.

• Like Like x 2
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mrkrabs

mrkrabs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Getting a hearing test tomorrow with an audiologist - Hopefully it goes well, I don’t seem to have lost any ability to hear, just the ringing persists.

• Like Like x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mrkrabs

mrkrabs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      So just now, I woke up to almost complete silence, except I just heard a bit of static if I plugged my ears tightly. For about 10 minutes, the frequency was gone, and then crept back in. Does this signify that it will not be permanent?

12. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      No, it does not signify it will not be permanent, but I'd still mark it down as a good thing: your trending is positive.

• Like Like x 2
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mrkrabs

mrkrabs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Got my test done, still have perfect hearing. After 1 week, the tinnitus has subsided, and the ENT said that I should make a full recovery.

• Like Like x 2
    14. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi @mrkrabs,

I'm happy to hear your tinnitus is subsiding, and that the prognosis looks good.​

You may want to check out THIS POST on Sodium Thiosulfate. Below is just part of a testimonial (not mine) on that post:

""One of its uses, that can be found if you know how to search the literature, is as a protectant against hearing loss. I have found that this use extends to reducing, if not eliminating, tinnitus. Also, if you have any potential hearing damage from, say, prolonged exposure to loud music, taking some of this when you get home from the concert will do well to mitigate the hearing damage. This is confirmed by my personal experience. You can likely take it before as a hearing loss preventative, as well.""​

• Like Like x 1