3T MRI Soon — Experiences? Loudness? Concerns?

Discussion in 'Support' started by josf3, Mar 12, 2018.

1. josf3
      No Mood

josf3 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1-25-17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      L citrulline
      Hey guys so I am having a 3T MRI at the hospital soon for some problems not related to tinnitus and I am concerned about the sound.

I know some of the 3T machines have quiet options on them that reduce sound level but after calling hospital and talking to the technician he had no idea what I was talking about and said they have ear plugs that's it.

I know a 3T MRI is much louder then 1.5T but I need to have 3T because the imaging is much better.

I read that it can get to 125 decibels at its peak. Not what I like to hear.

Anyone had a 3T MRI? Tips and advice are much appreciated.

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Do you mean CT and MRI ?
      Love glynis x

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      josf3
      No Mood

josf3 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1-25-17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      L citrulline
      Hey Glynis no its a 3 tesla Mri scanner which means it just produces a better picture without the need for contrast.

4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Thank you for explaining it to me.
      Good luck with your scan.
      Love glynis

5. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      the quietest MRI machines are the Toshiba Vantage series - 1.5 and 3 T line of machines

they have a patented set of hardware mods to reduce noise - still loud, but far better than other MRI

try calling Toshiba Medical and ask which clinic uses those , this is what I did for my 3T scans..it was loudish but not more than being inside an old subway train .

wear good earplugs deeply set

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      josf3
      No Mood

josf3 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1-25-17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      L citrulline
      Hey Bobby I already have my mri booked at the hospital for a 3t mri. I dont know which brand it is but doesnt every major mri brand have some sort of software that reduces noise? I am going to get some hearos extreme 33 nrr ear plugs and will ask for additional ear muffs if they have them. I am worried but hopefully its not that loud.

7. Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Natalie Roberts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy or mild hearing loss.. Who knows.
      I have had multiple MRIs since the onset of my T. I take Valium for my anxiety, use ear plugs and use the ear muffs they provide. I notice sometimes a small spike for a day or so but it typically goes back to normal. This last MRI though my T has been spiked for about a week. Not sure it’s related to the MRI or not but my MRIs are really important since I’ve had a brian bleed and it’s preventative.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. Holly1987

Holly1987 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I had an MRI a few months ago and it was a lot louder than I expected. I would most definitely take ear plugs (I was given earmuffs but they didn't do much) I was having a mild anxiety attack throughout and was certain it would cause a spike but it was fine ☺

9. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      if your T is due to noise only I would be very careful with the machine type, otherwise just plugs will work
      the more powerful 3T machines wont let you use muffs even all plastic as they create image noise - and even then these muffs are very light, not much NRR to expect.

good foam plugs like the moldex meteors put real deep are the way to go

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      josf3
      No Mood

josf3 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1-25-17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      L citrulline
      Mri on monday. Pretty nervous about it even with ear plugs because its a 3T mri. Hopefully they have some sort of technology on it that can reduce the sound like the newer machines.