4 Different Sounds?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Nathalie, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Nathalie
      Sad

Nathalie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      What could it mean if there are 4 different sounds at the same time?

I hear a high frequency buzzing, a whistling sound that reacts to outside noises, a static noise like a refrigerator with spontaneous spikes in volume and a rhythmic sound that has no certain pattern, it is kind of spontaneous as well.

I have had no noise trauma or listened to loud music, so all kinds of loud noise exposures are a no-no for me. Never have had any exposure. I only took aspirin for 6 days but didn't get any side effects, I also didn't overdose, the max dose I took one day was 2000mg, other days 1000mg and 1500mg, after discontinuing everything was fine as well for 3 days before therapeutic ultrasound on my neck and temporomandibular joint area for a facial nerve problem. The same night I got the therapy I noticed distorted hearing and slightly muffled sounds, a very mild tinnitus but slowly over the days the tinnitus crept up and new sounds started to form.

What the heck is happening to me? It has been a month now since the onset and no improvement only getting worse and hearing seems to become even more distorted.

Does any of you have any idea what might be causing this? Maybe it is related to the facial nerve issues? Doctors haven't been helpful at all.

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Your middle ear houses your facial nerve so looks like both connected...MRI might be needed.
      .lots of love glynis

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nathalie
      Sad

Nathalie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yes I have been thinking that too and I will get an MRI scan done on December 7th. Let's see what that will show. I just don't understand what is going on with me because there has been no trauma or noise exposure. Only the ultrasound therapy and a short course of aspirin but I guess if it was the aspirin the effects should have been long gone by now and also they should appear while you are actually taking the drug, right? :D I know that aspirin causes tinnitus only when taken in massive doses and the effects on your hearing are temporary anyway. I guess 2000mg of a dose isn't something that can cause permanent damage. It is not even considered an overdose.

4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Nathalie Since you are sure that the tinnitus wasn't caused by noise trauma, this really needs to be look at closer. The MRI is a good start. I read your first post. You may need to be seen at Maxillofacial unit, so your TMJ: Temporomandibular Joint can be examined as this can cause tinnitus.
      Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nathalie
      Sad

Nathalie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yes I am completely sure that there has been no noise trauma because I have never even attended loud concerts or areas where there could be a chance of loud noise bursts. In the past I have never listened to music on a loud volume and even if I sometimes listened to a song at a slightly higher volume, it was only for 5 min max. Never had any problems with my ears. That is why the current situation seems even more bizarre. The only possible culprit seems to be the nerves or something in the brain, the question is what is wrong with them. I haven't had any head injury either. I considered aspirin in the beginning but it seems very very unlikely and aspirin induced tinnitus seems to be temporary anyway. I didn't even notice hearing related effects while I was taking the drug! At least I haven't heard from anyone who has gotten permanent hearing problems or tinnitus from aspirin. I don't know guys, is 2000mg a very high dose? It is not considered overdose or toxic to my knowledge. I don't have problems with my liver or kidneys and I drink enough water. Ultrasound as well shouldn't cause hearing damage, right? Does anyone else have any suggestions for further actions regarding the issue?

6. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Nathalie By any chance, did you listen to music through headphones regularly before the onset of your tinnitus?

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nathalie
      Sad

Nathalie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      No, during my whole life I basically have listened to no more than 10 times and not high volume. Before the ear problems started the last time I listened was like a month ago for 10min.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nathalie
      Sad

Nathalie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I had no problem at all before the ultrasound therapy but I don't know how it could have affected my auditory system :/

9. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Nathalie Once you get the MRI done and hopefully eventhing is alright they can start to look at the TMJ.
      Best ofl luck.
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    10. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Invisible ultrasound can be a cause of tinnitus

New research at a UK university, says people are being bombarded with ultrasound without their knowledge and it may be causing tinnitus. The research has been conducted by the University of Southampton and it suggests that people are being exposed, without their knowledge, to airborne ultrasound from a number of sources including loudspeakers, door sensors and public address systems in railway stations, museums, libraries, schools and sports stadiums.

Continuing exposure led to complaints of nausea, dizziness, migraine, fatigue and tinnitus - the same symptoms reported over the years by workers who have been regularly exposed to occupational ultrasound through industrial devices for cleaning and drilling.

While there has not yet been sufficient research to confirm or deny a link, the study by Professor Tim Leighton from the University’s Institute of Sound and Vibration Research, says that current guidelines and research knowledge for occupational safe levels are inadequate to cope with the current mass exposure of large numbers of people. Commenting on the University's website Professor Leighton says: “most guidelines refer to occupational exposure, where workers are aware of the exposure, can be monitored and can wear protection. Furthermore, the guidelines are based on the average response of small group, often of adult males.

“The guidelines are also based on an insufficient evidence base, most of which was collected over 40 years ago by researchers who considered it insufficient to finalise guidelines, but which produced preliminary guidelines. This warning of inadequacy was lost as regulatory bodies and organisations issued ‘new’ guidelines based on these early guidelines, and through such repetition generated a false impression of consensus.”

He says recent data suggests that one in 20 people aged 40-49 years have hearing thresholds that are at least 20 decibels (dB) more sensitive at 20 kHZ than that of the average 30-39 year old. Moreover, five per cent of the 5 to 19 year age group is reported to have a 20 kHz threshold that is 60 dB more sensitive than the median for the 30-39 year age group. The lack of research means that it is not possible to prove or disprove the public health risk or discomfort. However, it is important that sufferers are able to identify the true cause of their symptoms, whether they result from VHF/US exposure or not.

Read the full story

• Winner Winner x 1
    11. Tyler Montgomery
      Spaced

Tyler Montgomery Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/12/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated eardrum from hard blow to the head.
      You can throw thousands of dollars at the tinnitus and see 100 different doctors and you probably still won't know what's causing your tinnitus. Even if you do believe some of the speculation they will throw at you, it is highly unlikely you can cure it by doing anything in particular.

Do yourself a favor and don't worry about it. Just start habituating right now.

I am like you and have multiple tones, one of which goes away completely when I clench my teeth.