49 Year Old with Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by lisa49, Feb 18, 2017.

1. lisa49

lisa49 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I am desperately looking for answers and have found not many doctors have any?

I am so glad I found this site because it seems like most of us are experiencing the same symptoms. January 6, 2017 I started to hear a low ringing in both of my ears. I have struggled with Anxiety the last few months, blaming it on Perimenopause?

When something is wrong with me I instantly consult my doctor(s), so after seeing my GP, two ENT's, Emergency Room, OBGYN, Therapist, Homeopathic and Chiropractor, I am still at a loss for words as to how this came about, (I have already met my deductible for the year).

I have googled symptoms every day and am just getting over a cold, so last night was horrible. The sound was enough to drive me CRAZY! I usually sleep with the fan on and I woke up several times making sure the fan was still on. I become extremely irritable and know than cause the T to heighten so it's a vicious cycle.

I'm beginning to think I AM loosing my hearing, but I have had two hearing tests in the past four months, CT of the sinus, CT of the Head, and an MRA as well as testing for Meniere's and all have come back negative. I got in pretty quick with the ENT because I had been seeing an ENT for a plugged right ear and TMJ (that I do not have soreness from) since 2002 and when the T came about I figured I should go see him and explain my symptoms and that's when he ordered all these other tests. The only thing I have not had is an MRI!

Could the T be from ANXIETY? Have I always had this and it was faint? Could it be from my cervical spine (would a cervical chiropractor help?) Did I have my earbuds up too loud?

All these questions and NO answers. HELP or ADVICE would be appreciated!

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Welcome to Tinnitus Talk.
      Anxiety and TMJ and a cold can cause tinnitus and stress and loud music and neck problems also and hormones along with more causes.
      Im 51 and have tinnitus in both ears due to Menieres.
      You could see your dentist if need a mouth guard to wear at night to reduce jaw pressure.
      Keep sound on around you to take your mind off your sound and if need anything to help you sleep you could try over the counter meds or Melatonin etc.
      Keep posting for support...lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      lisa49

lisa49 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you SO much for a reply! I actually went "old school" and put my head over a steam pot on the stove to break up the build up from the cold. Ears were so much better (no freight train noise, just the normal buzzing). I slept real well last night with the fan right next to me and had my kids bring a fan down and set it in the family room, so something is always sounding. I sure hope Meniere's Disease is not the cause of this (they did say it could be atypical Meniere's disease), early onset? I am calling the Dentist tomorrow, brainstorming with my mom yesterday and she suggested that, so thanks for the reminder as well. Do both of your ears feel full and do you have hearing loss? Good luck to you!

4. Samantha R

Samantha R Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @lisa49
      Sorry to hear about your struggles but glad to hear you got a good night sleep without your loud 'freight train'.
      Sounds like your head cold could be part to do with your tinnitus if you got relief from clearing your sinuses.
      Sound is our friend, so I think you've got the right idea using fans for masking.
      You've also had a lot of testing, but it is frustrating when nothing turns up as the cause.
      You didn't mention whether or not you have vertigo or dizziness which can be a symptom of Menieres.
      I had a low buzz on and off for a week which was the start of my tinnitus. It went and I was so relieved, but now I have a high pitch hiss instead!
      On audiologist I saw said the low frequency hum I had could be Tonic Tensor Tympani Syndrome, but who knows?
      I hope you are still going ok.

Sam.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      lisa49

lisa49 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Samantha R thank you for the reply! I don't know how to check my replies on this forum? I am doing better and I am going to look into what your doctor said you had. I still have T, but the anxiety of having it has gone away because it's not new anymore. Is your ringing in both ears?

6. Crazyputer
      Alone

Crazyputer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Machinery
      Hang in there. One of the best things I've found to help Tinnitus is to listen to music, not too loud, but it helps to take the mind of the Tinnitus.