5-HTP, Taurine, or Something Else Stopped My Loud Ringing for a Brief While

Discussion in 'Support' started by abbynormal, Dec 11, 2018.

1. abbynormal
      Question it

abbynormal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Day before yesterday, I decided to try a smaller dose of 5-HTP that I had bought about a month ago for depression. It's in capsule form, at 100 mg. Really made me a bit coocoo when I took it the day it came. Just 1 cap at around 2 in the afternoon. I didn't like the feeling, but I noticed a real difference in my depression, or lack thereof. But for whatever reason, I just stopped them altogether.

Long story short, I divided the capsules this time (no easy task) and just took 50 mg, and took it at night. I couldn't believe how much better I feel now, going on 2 days with really having an interest in life, period. I wanted to talk about the 5-HTP first as I am not sure what is helping my tinnitus, or if it will even last. But I also got some Taurine after reading about some folks reducing their tinnitus by taking it in powder form. I just had the caps so using that.

Last night, when I went to bed, I turned on my sounds I have to play at night, and if I wake up during the night, my tinnitus is bad enough, so leave the sounds on so I can go back to sleep. It was so weird though, when I woke up, the sound (rain sounds) had gone off for some reason, and I realized I didn't have the loud ringing like usual. So I just rolled over and went back to sleep. My ears are ringing this a.m. But just that single night of not having to play sounds all night felt amazing.

I'll keep anyone interested up to date here, and see what happens. Love to hear from anyone who has tried either, or both of these supplements. But always glad to hear from others that understand what it is to live with tinnitus.

• Informative Informative x 4
      • Like Like x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      abbynormal
      Question it

abbynormal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      oh brother, did I speak too soon:( The longer I am awake this a.m., the worse my T got. Now I have both my Pandora going, and a fan sound on my phone. Had a good cry, but now I'm dealing/coping with the T once again. I'm not going to stop trying the Taurine, and the the 5htp (5htp is for depression) though. I did have relief, even if it came back, maybe worse for a time, but I believe it will pass.

I just want to keep you guys/gals informed about anything I feel might bring hope. But with that, I have to be honest in the "failures". It's only one morning, and I just hope I can report more good stuff eventually.

• Hug Hug x 3
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      abbynormal
      Question it

abbynormal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Last night I decided to try the 5 htp again, and also a Taurine for the T. I did wake up a couple of times, but the ringing was so low I didn't use the sounds (rain sounds from app and/or from sounds on clock radio) when I went to bed, or when I woke up (during the night). I can't figure it out, but it was wonderful having so little T. But again this a.m. it starting getting louder again. So I decided to take another 5 htp, and taurine. Still no difference in the T, and I took those a little over an hour ago.

I can't figure out why it got less lastnight, just like the other night a few nights ago. I know it has to do with the supplements, both or one of them. But if the supps work at night, why wouldn't they work during the day:( Oh well, just keeping you all up to date.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      This is just a theory but I wonder if it has to due with the body's circadian rhythm. In the morning different hormones are being produced than at night time. Perhaps the supplements are affecting the body differently at night than in the morning. I don't know for sure though. :(

• Like Like x 3
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      abbynormal
      Question it

abbynormal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I will look it up tomorrow, the Circadian rhythm. Thank you for replying, I am always ready to listen, and check into things. I took another dose tonight and hoping to have another good night. I'll be back on in the a.m. I had the T all day, but stayed busy to help with it. I have more info to share but have to wait until the a.m. too tired tonight;)

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      abbynormal
      Question it

abbynormal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Well something is happening because lastnight, my T turned itself down, again. It is still there, and a bit louder than it was the night before. I'm desperately trying to think of all I ate, and the supplements as well. I know I took the 5htp and the Taurine. But we all know other things could be affecting my T as well.

Another thing I have been doing, but for another issue, is drinking 1/2 tsp of baking soda in water. 1 in the a.m. and one at night. I don't see that being the one to help the T though because again, it doesn't "turn it down" at all in the a.m.

I'm taking several supplements, and the longest I've taken any of these is since Oct. 8th, of this year. The 5htp only a few days now, and the Taurine. Here's a list of all I take once a day, except the Mag dose at night as well to equal 600 mg.

Mag. Glycinate
      B12
      C, Zinc, B complex, A, D3, 5htp, Taurine.

I'm going to go look up the circadian rhythm now to see what that's about;)

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      abbynormal
      Question it

abbynormal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I see it is about Sun light, or getting enough light, and it can energize you. I haven't found how that might effect my T, but it is way worth looking into a lot more:) Thank you for telling me! I'm off to read more:)

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      abbynormal
      Question it

abbynormal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Wow, I see so many more posts on the 5htp. I need to go read those threads. It's been 3 or so hours since I took my dose of 5htp, and Taurine. My ears, I just realized, are not at the typical high volume. I wish there was a way to measure that here at home. Anyway, I could have chimed in on those other threads, even though they are a couple of years old, if I'd searched before I did this thread. Sorry about that. Denise

• Like Like x 1
    9. Krolo

Krolo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1999 , Worse in September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Volume
      So I dabbled with 5-HTP today and it surely does something. It was in a pill with Vitamin B6 5 mg and Magnesium Citrate 50mg and 5-HTP 50mg. For some darn reason I decided to take it in the morning and then about 5 hours later I took another one.
      About 40 minutes later I get this weird feeling on top of the rightside of my head and a bunch of the T actually faded away into the background... I litteraly have no darn clue why or how this works... It sure does feel there is something truly F****d up in my head.

• Like Like x 2
    10. Krolo

Krolo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Volume
      Would like to add that it didn´t dissapear ofc. Then I would be crying of happiness but it wasn´t as intrusive..

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      abbynormal
      Question it

abbynormal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I'm with you, but I wanted to ask if your T is the steady kind, non-stop, or have you had breaks from it before? Mine turned "down" again lastnight, that's 3 nights in a row. It's back this a.m. but just going to "easy does it" for a bit, and then take the taurine and 5htp. I did some reading on the 5htp, and it scared me a little. But, I also have found a lot of testimonies on amazon "reviews" of 5htp, mostly good, but not specific for T. Let me know (all of us here) how you are doing. I take 100 mg a day. No more than that.

PS Yes, just saw your next post, mine doesn't disappear either, just lowers a lot. I don't know how to measure the diff. But like on an electric stove-top, it goes from high to Medium low.

• Like Like x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      abbynormal
      Question it

abbynormal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I just want to say, right now I am feeling kind of scared of the 5htp. I read a lot on these things, and sometimes I think I'd rather suffer with T than try some supplements. That's why I won't take any drugs from a doctor, they all made me feel sick (to explain in short) and feel worse than the health issue. I found this info on wikipedia, tells a lot about the 5htp. I am wondering if it wouldn't be just as helpful to take melatonin, but 5htp doesn't make me sleepy, but I sleep better with some weird dreams. When I take it during the day, I feel kind of calm, not sleepy, but about an hour later, I feel real jittery. Weird stuff, that's all I know right now.

oops, forgot the link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5-Hydroxytryptophan

13. Krolo

Krolo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Volume
      Mine is of the furious 24/7 kind. It does vary a bit but not in this way that happend now. It is also reactive to sound, that thing has not changed really. Has to do with my H.
      Mind you 5-HTP is not the only thing I am taking but since yesterday evening it´s the new thing I added.

• Like Like x 2
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      abbynormal
      Question it

abbynormal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Ok, yes, mine is the 24/7 and the only regular changes I have is it spikes up super-powered but I just like grip the chair I'm sitting in and wait for it to pass as it always has in about 30 seconds?? It is way scarey because that loud and I would..I don't know what I'd do. I did just recently add the 5htp and taurine. Taurine was the one suggested on an article for the T, but I've yet to try just one or the other to see which is help for sure. It could be the combo. It worries me about the feeling in your head, one spot? I read something yesterday about something called "the typical 5htp headache" and that was about someone realizing they need to take it every-other-day. A couple of people I read do that. 100 mg every other day.

PS I had a headache yesterday for a few hours mid-day, that was an "all over" headache, not piercing in one place like migraine. Forgot to mention I take a lot of supps too. Geez, I keep buying whatever I read that will help with something. But I do read as much as I can find on things, and I don't think I am overboard on them. I hope. I don't like the multi's so I get each vitamin separate;)

• Like Like x 1
    15. Krolo

Krolo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Volume
      Nah it wasn´t like a headache. I have had similar weird feelings when I took benzo or other things that affect stuff in the head. No headache really. At least none that I could attribute to the 5-HTP.

• Like Like x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      abbynormal
      Question it

abbynormal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Ok, I decided to just take the Taurine this a.m. with my other supps like Magnesium. I want to see if my T "turns down" just using that. If not, I'll for sure know it's the 5htp, or the combo. I know yours worked with just the htp but it also had some other supps with it as well;) Hope we both continue getting some "at least" lower volumes;)

17. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      I too had this experience with 5-HTP several years ago, and have not tried it since. It seemed to give me the same paradoxical effect of on one hand helping me feel relaxed, and later on makes me feel a bit jittery (similar to the way coffee affects me). I've been meaning to try it again however in some very low doses. Since it's a precursor to seratonin, I've suspected what I experienced from it was a very mild form of "seratonin syndrome" (too much seratonin).

• Like Like x 1
    18. Krolo

Krolo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Volume
      Yeah, kinda hard to pinpoint what it is exactly that does it. Only time will tell.
      How much taurine are you using?

• Like Like x 1
    19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      abbynormal
      Question it

abbynormal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Thank you Lane, I think you hit the nail on the head. I know there is something about it that might be able to be adjusted, just haven't figured it out, yet;) That's a "darned if you do, and darned if you don't" because there are some way positive effects.

Yes, too much caffeine jittery, good analogy;)

• Like Like x 1
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      abbynormal
      Question it

abbynormal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Just the 1000 mg and it's supposed to be one a day, but I am doing 2 right now. Just took one about an hour ago, so we'll see if it affects my "volume" ;)

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      abbynormal
      Question it

abbynormal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Last night the loudness was spiked but I realized how much salt I added to a soup that already had boullion on it. Then a lot of sunflower seeds so I think I blew my chance of the volume going down again. I took my usual supps lastnight, 5htp, Taurine, Magnesium and that's all, had to use my sounds all night though.

This a.m. I had the ringing loud again, spiked, but I just realized it has gone down. I took no 5htp this a.m., but I did GABA, Taurine, Magnesium (magnesium separate, about 2 hours after others) Something gave me a shakey feeling. which is always harder because of my essential tremors. But now, the ringing is low again, and shakiness passed in about half an hour.

Maybe 5htp tonight, but I'm also looking for which supps to take together, or separate to make them work best, with food without food etc.

What I see happening is I am have lots of times when the T is way reduced in volume. This works for me, even if I'm never cured, lower is better for me.

• Like Like x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1