5 Years of Pulsatile Tinnitus, Finally Posting

Discussion in 'Support' started by Christen, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Christen

Christen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      In attempt to deal with my anxiety and additionally not be just another silent statistic, and to share my story with whomever it may help, I decided to become active here.

At around 25 (2013) I developed a whooshing sound in my right ear, with feelings of fullness and pain that come and go, that my GP had nothing to say about (he didn't see any ear infection and therefore didn't care). Since then it comes and goes in how noticeable it is, often months at a time. I have very mild hearing damage in the lower range in both ears (doc said its common in people with a history of sinus troubles, of which I had many as a kid) but nothing unusual in the affected ear.

A year later, I noticed while applying makeup in the first time in around four years, my vision in my right eye had deteriorated very noticeably. I've never had unequal vision, although I've been near sighted and astigmatism since about ten. My optometrist had no explanation for the vision changes nor the pulsatile tinnitus, and wasn't worried. I tried to not worry as well, but it's hard, especially when much of the internet considers pulsatile tinnitus a sign of potentially serious vascular disorders. But I put it out of my mind.

Sometime after moving around 2016, I started taking care of my health again, and mentioned my pulsatile tinnitus to my new GP. She explained that "everyone hears their pulse sometimes, particularly when they stand up too quickly", even tho I specified it wasn't rare nor in both ears. Skeeved out by her lack of concern and urgency to get my out of the door, my anxiety increased.

I am now 30, with my symptoms spiking again. I've grown quite a bit, and hopefully this coming Thursday, for the first time I will truly confront a doctor about my concerns, even bringing in printouts about PT. Maybe my printouts are bunk, but we have a whole appointment for her to explain exactly why they would be bunk and why she isn't worried about me having a stroke or a brain tumor when there are basic tests to rule dangerous vascular abnormalities out.

Thanks for reading. Community really helps me out. I hope we can be there for each other. Sorry if my conversational style is awkward, I'm not super good at social stuff but I'll try.

• Hug Hug x 6
      • Like Like x 1
    2. Striveon

Striveon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I hope all goes well in your appointment and they are able to help you, guide you and advice you into the right path :) cheers

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Christen

Christen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      After posting this and making a strong, active effort to calm myself down, my symptoms are already a lot better. Im much less concerned about my situation cause at worst, its probably a small fistula, or something to do with my ears, nose, and sinuses (i have chronic allergies). Although I also quit fasting so maybe its coincidence. I'm thinking of canceling my appointment for now while I start Flonase and see a dentist, stuff ive been meaning to do anyway.

• Like Like x 2
    4. Striveon

Striveon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm glad you're feeling better but I would encourage you to keep fighting and see if there is possibly something wrong going on. Just to give a peace of mind perhaps? I hope you better, cheers :)

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Christen

Christen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Nah, i trust my doctor. Being on here has made me realize just how absurdly tame my PT is. Its subjective, mild, and hasn't come with any neurological symptoms, which is probably why she isn't concerned. Whatever the cause is very likely benign.

Ofc ill make sure to get a second opinion when i get a fancy Stanford doctor this upcoming October but for now i have peace of mind. Sorry!