75-85 Decibels All Day with Regular Spikes of Up to 95 dB?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Zinnia, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Zinnia
      No Mood

Zinnia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      What would you do if this were your situation at work? That's how it is for me... it gets loud. The thing is though, is that it's not intermittent, it's all day long so my ears don't get a rest.

For me, personally, it's too loud for my damaged ear and causes spikes/increases... whatever they are.

What would you do in this situation? Wear plugs? Do you think this sound level warrants protection?

2. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      I would get custom earplugs.

• Agree Agree x 3
    3. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      What kind of spikes are you getting just before going to sleep for instance?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zinnia
      No Mood

Zinnia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Yeah I'm in the process now of getting them. Unfortunately I don't know if this will solve the problem.... before summer I was having problem wearing earplugs (foam mostly) because of the occlusion effect. I have to project my voice to the kids and it sounds so loud in my head.... I just discovered yesterday that this can actually be harmful....that it can raise the decibel level to the ear by 20 decibels or more!

I'm looking for a solution but feel like I'm coming up short! (i'm trying to get more info on how custom plugs may reduce occlusion effect)

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zinnia
      No Mood

Zinnia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      During work when i'm around the loudness.
      Do you think those decibel numbers I mentioned are too loud to be in w/out protection?

6. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      Well for me it would be problamatic I think, but everyone is different.
      If you feel that your ear doesn't like it I would use protection. Maybe partly, like half a day or something?
      I advise premolds with a range of filters, - 9 dB might already cut it.

7. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma / firecracker
      @Zinnia

I used to be a professional musician, playing clubs 5 nights a week for years. When my tinnitus got worse, I had to make a choice. Either keep playing in the band, and further increase my tinnitus and destroy my hearing, or quit the band, and find a new profession. I decided to quit and find a new profession. I have NOT regretted making that decision to this day. I know it's not easy, but what it is what it is.

Having tinnitus, causes us to have to make sacrifices, and life changes, that's it.

Just being honest

Good luck

Louie

Quietatnight

• Like Like x 2
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zinnia
      No Mood

Zinnia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Yeah, sorry to hear that but that's great that you don't regret it at all. I imagine you've found other satisfying work.

You're totally right though and i find myself in this position where i'm reevaluating my work situation. The idea of not doing it is scary to me cause i don't have a back-up plan,and other reasons of course. I'm trying to be realistic about all this though, and realize finding different work might have to be the case if my ear can't handle it. Gee, I suppose i'm not accepting this new reality very well though. Guess that takes more time.

I wonder if many people with T have have to leave their jobs. I did a search here and saw some but just wondering how often really this happens if they work in loud environments.

Anyway, thanks for your response.

9. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      When your custom plugs arrive, you could port them, this reduces the occlusion effect greatly.drill as small a hole as you can from the outside of the plug to the inside. You have to drill at a angle to ensure the hole pops out at the right spot. You want the port on the outside leading to the canal portion that carries sound to your ear. This reduces protection slightly, but at the same time lets your voice escape through the port instead of bouncing back at your ear. Jut a warning though, this can be tricky to do, you risk damaging the plug. If you aren't confident with a drill, maybe find someone that is.

Also, you could wear lower db protection, the more the filter lets in, the more occluded noise it lets out. Maybe try a 9db filter, might be just just enough protection, but also lets your voice escape As well. This would obviously less complicated than the ported route, but for me, the port worked best.

deep fitting moulds help as well, cuts down the chamber area between the ear drum and the plug.

Good luck

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma / firecracker
      @Zinnia

In my case I was lucky because I already had my Double EE, and a minor in Computer Science. I new that whatever carrier that I went into that it had to be a quiet one. So I just opened up a Computer sales and service retail store. By doing that, I was able to control how loud my work would be. In a sense I created a new work environment for myself that I could work in, and live with. Later on I opened up 4 more locations. That worked out great for me. I was fortunate that I was young enough to have done that .

I know that you have been teaching a log time, and understand that it may be harder to change to something different. Maybe you could become a tutor, or move up to teach older children, like high school age kids that are not as noisy as younger kids. Either way I wish you good luck of course.

Louie

Quietatnight

11. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zinnia
      No Mood

Zinnia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      This makes sense, I can see how this could help if properly done (although admittedly the idea did make me cringe a bit of drilling into a not so cheap thing. I'm not against modifying stuff though.) I have someone who can help if I take that route.

I have an appointment to get the custom plugs and like you mentioned I'm going to get the 9's and higher as well. Maybe between using 9's and having deep impressions that will help reduce occlusion though I feel i'd need the 25's at times throughout the school day (I'm concerned about the eardrum block touching my eardrum though - plan on making a thread about that...)

Thanks. I appreciate your advice.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zinnia
      No Mood

Zinnia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      That all sounds like it worked out really well for you. Thanks for the advice. I'm going to try to teach with as many modifications as possible and hope it works out. It's nerve wracking especially because i'm realizing this summer how sensitive my ear really is - have had a lot of spikes and i've been at home most of the time.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zinnia
      No Mood

Zinnia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
    15. John_415

John_415 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20-12-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I would definitely wear earplugs!
      Yesterday I came across these:​
      musicsafe-pro-packaging-alpine-hearing-protection.jpg
      The Music Safe Pro Earplugs
      Link: https://www.alpinehearingprotection.com/earplugs/musicsafe-pro/
      This one comes with 3 filters, so if you choose low or medium your protected but not overprotected. There also very comfortable btw.
      I myself have medium filters in areas where the volume fluctuates a lot, there great, It took me 5 months to figure out that you can have earplugs with low medium or high protection and not just high or nothing.

I just ordered these yesterday:​
      [
      Etymotic Music Pro Earplugs
      Link: https://www.etymotic.com/mp915.html
      These are electronic earplugs which let trough normal volumes but when the volume reaches a certain threshold to dangerous levels they automatically kick in to lower the volume to up to 15 decibels. I saw great reviews online and there supposed to last for a very long time so thats also an idea.