8 Months In with Tinnitus — The Hum Has Returned with a Vengeance

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Andrew McNab, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Andrew McNab

Andrew McNab Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello!

Thought I would share my story as I guess it's better out than in. Like sound.

Everything started around August last year. I woke up one day and both my ears felt blocked. This lasted a week before they cleared and were replaced with a low frequency hum in my left ear. A week of this, before the hum was replaced by more blockage - only in the left ear. Another week and the hum returned, and it has been there ever since. I don't attend a lot of concerts or loud events.

For the first six/seven months, for the most part, I could ignore the hum during the day. It was easy enough to distract myself with other sounds, even fairly low ones. That said, it irritated, annoyed and upset me. I like my silences and I couldn't enjoy them anymore.

Then it randomly disappeared for almost two weeks. Probably the greatest two weeks of my life. I was reading books in silence. Going into empty rooms without carrying a nature sounds app on my phone. Bliss.

Unfortunately the hum has returned with a vengeance. It is now much louder and it's very difficult to drown it out. The pillow speaker that worked for the first six months now has no effect. The hum is now trumping most things - television, music, etc. It's absolutely dominating everything, affecting almost everything I do and it's really getting me down.

I know there's a big mental aspect to this. Some might say it just seems louder because I'm focussed on it. But there's no way the volume is the same. Prior to it going away and coming back, gentle sounds were enough to quiet it. Now, it's screaming at me most of the day and nothing blocks it out. There are times when it is so loud it feels like a huge amount of pressure is building in my ear and it's going to explode. I'm also getting twinges and aches eminating from the area.

My hearing tests have all shown that my hearing is fine. MRI was clear. The ENTs I have spoken to have basically just said 'You have tinnitus. It may go away. It may not. We don't know what has caused this. Good luck'.

It sucks. Plus, I work in a library which is a breeding ground for huuuummmmmmmmmmmms.

I find it baffling in this day and age that medical science can't sort this with some crazy pill, or even just explain what has caused it and why.

Anyway, thank you for your time. I dream of the day when I am able to write messages like this without whale sounds competing (and failing) against this demon in my ear.

Andrew

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum, Andrew. Sorry that you are suffering with the latest spike of the ringing. ENTs generally test our hearing and check that there is no medical issue with the ears. Beyond that, they are clueless about T generally. My ENT basically told me the only way he could stop my ringing was to SHOOT me. Gosh! I guess he meant to joke but joking with a desperate patient is not funny but totally cruel. Well ENTs better learn more about what can cause tinnitus or trigger a spike because this happens too often.

There are many causes, single or combined, which can trigger or aggravate tinnitus including but not limited to drug side-effects from ototoxic drugs, ear wax build-up, ear-wax removal suction, inner ear infection, Eustachian tube disorder or ETD, ear drum injury, fluid build-up in ears feeling pressured or fullness, sinus infection & congestion especially with a bad cold, TMJ, TTTS, autoimmune disorders such as Lyme Disease & Fibromyalgia, high blood pressure or blood circulation problem, anemia, loud noise exposure or acoustic trauma/shock, acoustic neuroma tumor, head injury or TBI, neck injury or muscle problems, hearing loss from aging or other causes, Meniere's Decease, barotrauma from rapid pressure changes in flights or diving, especially with congested nose or sinus causing failure to balance the pressure changes, slapping of the ears, deep grief, untreated sleep apnea, extreme/extended stress, anxiety & panic disorder, depression, sleep deprivation, etc. T can also be caused or made worse by unhealthy diet such as too much salt, sugar, caffeine, MSG, alcohol etc. or by lacking some mineral or vitamin supplements, such as Magnesium, Zinc, B12, D3 etc.

So look over the list to see if you have any such event around the time of the spike. If the cause is fixable, then perhaps the intensity of the ringing will subside. Here is a site which talks a bit about what can cause low pitch humming. You can also search TT with terms like humming tinnitus or low pitched ringing and you should see many prior discussions. Good luck. Take care. God bless.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/tinnitus/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20350162

• Like Like x 2
    3. RamblinMan

RamblinMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think a bad cold
      My story is almost identical to yours. I posted it elsewhere on here so I won't repeat it all. Are you still checking here? Any improvement? I am 2 months into it and mine seems to be getting worse, not better. Thanks.