8 Months with Hyperacusis... Update

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ring Ding, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Ring Ding

Ring Ding Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello my fellow sufferers ! Just wanted to give an update on my condition since a bunch of time has passed since I last posted. The Hyperacusis is actually getting better. I would say it's about 75 - 80 % healed. I was in really bad shape through the whole entire summer and I was very miserable on my family vacation. At this point I am getting by on a daily basis much better. Most things don't really give me any pain anymore and I don't feel like my ears are closing up even further in reaction to sounds. There are still certain things that sound louder to me and freak me out a bit. Sirens and Train Stations are still a no go without ear protection. I can do the dishes and the silverware without a problem. I even went to the supermarket and was able to push my cart around without any problems.

The thing that makes me the most happy is that I can listen to music again to some extent without problems. I walk around a lot in manhattan and from the start I would just keep my headphones on because any time I wear ear plugs my ear fullness goes through the roof and is very uncomfortable. I did have music playing because the alternative was to listen to the horrible tinnitus by itself and that seemed like a worse option. I started with the volume on barely a whisper and only played the quietest of songs. None of the songs I used could feature drums either. I would often experiment with making it normal volume again to see what would happen and everything sounded like it was coming through a tin can , I am happy to say that has gone away too. I am now at volume level over 50 % and things sound good enough that I can enjoy music again.

What I can't seem to get rid of is the ear fullness and the current level of tinnitus does not want to drop down either. I am wondering if the two are connected to each other in some way. If I am in a place with a reasonable level of noise the Tinnitus is not so bothersome. In quiet places it's rather loud and obtrusive in a way it never was my whole life. If I am outside it's not so audible but inside spaces are a different story. In my office at work it's like torture all day , when I go to the bathroom , when I go to bed or when I am alone in any situation it's usually worse and not because I like to dwell on this stuff. It's just impossible to ignore.

Just curious how many of you guys have ear fullness along with these conditions and if it ever went away.
      If it did go away did your tinnitus become more tollerable ?

Also any suggestions for getting rid of the fullness ? I hate it so much !!!!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 6
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    2. VRZ78

VRZ78 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Infection
      This is a very positive story for H and sound quality. What was the cause of the H ?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ring Ding

Ring Ding Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I was at a concert in a small club. Next day when I woke up it was like a true nightmare come to life. For the first few months my ears felt like lava was pouring out of them. I haven't done anything special all this time. Just trying to tough it out and live as close to normal as possible.

• Winner Winner x 1
    4. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Pressure is hard to deal with, but it does go eventually. Some causes may be inflammation of the cochlea, jaw problems, neck tension, back tension, lack of exercise, etc It can be irradiated from somewhere else, the neck for instance.

Have you tried physiotherapy? There are radiofrequency machines now that drive head and waves into your body and that works marvels, unstrings the neck, shoulders, etc.. sometimes the ear just pops real deep and pressure is gone. You could give it a try, see if it works to some extent for you.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ring Ding

Ring Ding Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Juan, Thanks so much for sending a reply. I am also battling with Mercury poisoning so I don't know if it's related to that. I was seeing a chiropractor regularly until the end of the summer and nothing he did managed to help. I get plenty of exercise so I don't think it could be that. Certianly inflamation of some kind. I really feel like besides hearing the ringing I can also feel it too. There is a constant feeling like there is a bloon that is inflated or a crawling feeling in there. When I move my head or wiggle my ears I can hear and feel like a crunch or something. I'm guessing it's my tubes ? I just really wonder is eventually when the fullness goes if the ringing will become more bearable. I was habituated to it befoe for more than 30 years so I think that is the biggest bummer for me too.

6. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      It is hard to know what causes the fullness; probably that's one of the mysteries of hyperacusis. Over the years I have realised that it is probably related to stress, tension, loud sounds and inflammation. Maybe other factors play a role too; H is a very individual condition. Diet helps me a bit too, a healthy diet, with fruit, dry fruits (magnesium), vegetables.. salad, raw stuff, better than cooked.

The radiofrequency machine is used for people who play sports often and have bad injuries. It is more powerful than a normal physiotherapy session. The physiotherapist can adjust the heat of that machine and in my case it helps unravel a lot of the tension of back, neck, all those muscles. Sometimes the ear pops in less than 24 hours and usually pressure subsides quite a lot or it is completely gone, depending on the severity of it or what caused it (if it is a recent loud sound it is harder to get rid of the pressure than if it is muscle or tension related).

• Informative Informative x 1
    7. Kyle espersen

Kyle espersen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Hey just wondering how you're making out with your hyperacusis? I know this post is old but I'm curious because at 8 months. I kinda feel like shit today but I have been doing good lately with pretty much all environmental noises except sirens. Just wondering if you have any tips

8. Dem

Dem Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Currently - Concert 2012-2016 H - virus
      Ring Ding was last time active on forum over year ago.
      Feels bad man, for me(6 months in) only thing that helps me with H is caffeine.
      Some days, not sure why, i can see maybe little correlation with windy weather i cant stand even quiet music, but after good coffee im gaining little more tolerance to sounds.