8-Year-Old Son

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by nomoredreaming, Dec 29, 2015.

1. nomoredreaming

nomoredreaming Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj
      Iv had some bad news, my son who is 8 had a really bad ear infection in both ears for about half a year before they sent him of to ent. The ent did a hearing test and said he needs grommets, so he had a date set, he was put to sleep for about 20 mins, the doctor came out and said he has no ear drums lefted due to the infections and has damage to his hearing bones so he put some steroid cream inside the ear . Now he has to have a bigger operation to rebuild his ear drums :(. and for the past few weeks he keeps saying to his sister, can you hear that alarm when there's no alarm going off, it comes and goes he doesn't hear it all the time.
      It brakes my heart I don't know how I would cope if he had it 24/7 or how I could help him. It makes me so mad couse when he first had his ear infection and it kept coming back i kept telling the doctors he may need grommets and wonted them to send him to the ent but they wouldn't it was the school that referred him.

• Hug Hug x 4
    2. LeQuack
      Gloomy

LeQuack Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      Sorry to heat that, hopefully his tinnitus will not be permanent. How is his hearing?

3. Mithrandir
      Ape-like

Mithrandir Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Shock Disorder (TTTS)
      I'm so sad too for him. I don't know if it's a good solution, but he's young and he can believe that's a normal sound ? maybe habituation will be easier for him ?
      Good luck

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      nomoredreaming

nomoredreaming Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj
      He has a bit of hearing loss in lefted ear, when I talk to him about it he said that it's really loud but goes away after maybe a minute.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      nomoredreaming

nomoredreaming Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj
      Not only has he got this to deal with he also has learning disabilities and adhd.

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      My son was 7 when had his ear bones taken out and New drum.
      He is now 20 and copes fine without a hearing aid but at the time we were so worried....pm me anytime if I can help or reasure you more...lots of love glynis

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      nomoredreaming

nomoredreaming Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj
      thanks glynis we have a hospital appointment in January to talk about the op, did your son stay in over night.

8. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Yes but could say also and with in an hour of getting back on the ward with head bandage on he was playing on their computers...lots of love glynis

9. Fungus
      Dreaming

Fungus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus?
      nomoredreaming sorry to hear about your son and what appears to be tinnitus and hyperacusis.
      Fortunately children are very malleable and seem to cope better with many things that an adult has difficulty coming to terms with.
      With the advances in ENT and the interest of some of these doctors in paediatric surgery, then it is likely your son will do well, even with his other issues.
      My daughter had to have grommets as a young child, and we had difficulty persuading her to come home with us after the procedure as she had made friends with a little boy and loved the Playstation on the ward.
      I'm sure you will be able to stay with your son on the ward.

Good luck.

Fungus.