A Constant Tone Machine?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jon R., Jul 25, 2018.

1. Jon R.

Jon R. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 & then again in 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1st tone 2001 ear plugs, 3 other tones 2021 Pfizer vaccine
      I have a "diesel engine on idle" type tinnitus in my left ear, which spiked higher after Gabapentin usage. My ear also feels a bit like it is vibrating or fluttering. I noticed when certain external noises happened this sensation and noise in my ear lessened. So I checked online for frequencies to try and cancel it out, and I have found a 70hz pure tone noise really helps stop this sensation, I am sat here now with my PC audio on a low 13% and I can hear the pure tone only very slightly, and the idle engine sound and fluttering in my ear is gone. I much prefer the annoying sound of the 70hz tone than my tinnitus. I need this tone on some sort of machine that can play it 24 hours a day rather than via my PC. I don't want to have to use headphones. I don't have a hifi and I would prefer not to have to keep clicking replay.

So, this means either a hifi that can loop a MP3 or an actual pure tone white noise machine that allows me to select a frequency, rather than than pre-set fan or rain noises.

Any ideas ? Thanks

2. BobbyH

BobbyH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustical trauma
      I think you could download a “Tone Generator” app for your phone. There are so many different ones, I’m sure you would find one you want. The only issue might be the ability for the small speaker to push out such a low frequency tone loud enough. I downloaded one for my iPad. I couldn’t hear it on the iPad speaker but I could hear it with the earphones.

• Like Like x 1
    3. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I'm not sure that it's a good idea to send a pure tone to your ear 24x7: a pure tone focuses the sound energy on a very small area of the cochlea, not unlike a laser does with light. You could potentially end up damaging the hair cells located in the 70 Hz region of your cochlea from the sheer amount of energy focused on them.

If I was in your shoes, I would avoid prolonged listening of pure tones.

Good luck!

• Like Like x 1