A Couple Months In...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Jason5791, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Jason5791
      Thinking

Jason5791 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have no clue.
      Hello All,

I have just recently been told I have Tinnitus. Needless to say it is very annoying and very difficult to sleep. I have been reading a lot of post here that are very positive and some excellent suggestions. Being so new to this I am sure I will be trying many things to help this condition. Wish and pray for relief for us all!

Thank you again for all the posts and comments. Nice to have a place to seek advice or even a word of encouragement!

• Like Like x 1
    2. daniel1111
      Shitfaced

daniel1111 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, repeated exposure with loud headphones.
      Hi Jason,

Welcome to the forum!

Are you able to mask your tinnitus when trying to sleep? For different people, different sounds work. Sometimes rain, white noise or crickets for example can be useful for some relief and sleep.

Hope you start feeling better about it soon, or even make a full recovery. Stay positive!

Regards,
      Daniel

3. untamed wolf
      Chatty

untamed wolf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Hi Jason

I think our situation is quite similar, we got it around the same time and have no explanation. I have troubles sleeping too. I don't have any miracles to help you sleep and I haven't tried white noises. For me it helps to think of something else, like making a history in my head and play it like a movie (that may sound confusing). That takes your focus from T away. Or I like to talk to someone before bedtime, get my stacked emotions out. You can talk to anybody you want I find it quiet down because I say it out loud and don't think about it.

I'm new to this too so I'm not sure if it helps or not.

Feel better soon!

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. AnxiousJon
      Magical

AnxiousJon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety, Insomnia, and a Fan at Night
      Your perceivably positive, reasonable attitude, is exactly the way in which you should go about dealing with it, Jason; keep it up.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jason5791
      Thinking

Jason5791 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have no clue.
      When you have three children (all daughters) with the oldest being eleven, I think any parent wants to remain as positive and optimistic as they can be. No parent wants their children worrying about them especially at when they are younger in age. I will do my best to take measures to help the T, but I will also do my very best not to let it affect my family in a negative way.

Daniel1111, I am just now looking into masking options for sleep aid. I will let you know what I find in the near future!

Thanks again everyone for all the encouragement!

6. Cazb78

Cazb78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No idea - yet!
      Sometimes if my tinnitus is bad I use a sleep app. There's loads out there and you can choose the noises, sounds or music u want it to play as u go to sleep. You can also time it to play for a set amount of time.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jason5791
      Thinking

Jason5791 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have no clue.
      So it's been a couple weeks since I originally posted so I thought I would update. It's kinda of amazing how much of a roller coaster this has been. There are times when I don't realize it's there and there are times when I am praying that it will stop. When the office is busy or I am playing with the kids I usually don't even recognize it. The minute it gets quiet, or trying to get to sleep it is very annoyingly noticeable. I can be in the middle of doing something and think to myself "haven't really noticed for a bit" then wham, I'm thinking about it and there it is. Frustrating.

I have tried different things for sleep. One being different headsets/ear buds with music. Not really working. Just uncomfortable to wear and usually end up coming off which usually wakes me up. the thing that has actually helped me get to sleep is taking a couple of shots of liquor. Now I am by no means saying drinking alcohol will cure your ills. I don't even drink a lot, but I have found that this does help me relax at night and helps me get to sleep.

Anywho, the battle goes on and it is a bumby road but I will persevere.

Stay positive!

Jason