A Friend Uses Masking Hearing Aid

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by calin, Jan 21, 2012.

1. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      A friend of mine came to see me at my business yesterday. As she sat down with me she removed a hearing device in her ear. I heard a whistling from it as she put it in her purse. I hadn't noticed that before.

So, the conversation progressed into tinnitus as I told her I got it some months ago. We chatted for an hour or so about tinnitus and treatments.

She has good experiences with her Starky earing device. She has been using it for years , but the device was recently updated to help her moderate hearing loss due to her age.

She says the high pitch whistling emanating from the device matches what she hears. She finds it effective and helpful.

She attributes her tinnitus to ear and sinus infections.

She says she has months and months of silence until the T returns.

She was interested in the UST technology and said she heard something about this technology years ago. She was also fascinated by the sonic toothbrush technique. She said she found comfort years ago using a small vibrating device around her sinus and ear area, so these techniques could be helpful... she would give them a try.

Just an experience with someone else with T. It's interesting how I am finding more and more people personally that has tinnitus.

2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      So -- the masking hearing aid is made to replicate the exact sound frequency of the individual's tinnitus? I wonder if most people who use masking devices experience silence after constant usage.

When your friend has the months and months of silence, does she continue to use the masking device?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Hi Karen,

No, she doesn't use the masking hearing aide unless she needs it for hearing better and or the tinnitus comes back. She said she had some hearing loss recently and had to have it modified.

I heard the whistling when she took it off.

4. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks, Calin! A masking hearing device sounds like it might be worth looking into. I'm going to try some other remedies first, and if they don't work, this might be a possibility.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      I hear ya. It is good to know that there are alternatives.

I am doing just fine and like my progress, but I will keep that in the back of my mind.

6. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Glad to hear you're continuing to make progress! I am encouraged by that; I'm making progress, too, but am glad to know about this technology, in case other alternatives don't work. Hearing aids can be expensive, and I would imagine that masking devices are, as well.

7. christine kauhane
      Sunshine

christine kauhane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      june 9th 2013
      i just got one 5 days ago and i love it ! it helps me when my T gets to high. i have a remote so i can change the volum or the type of sound i need at anytime it's pretty cool and light. i forget its on my ear at times and i can work with it too, clean house and sleep with if thats if i wake and have hard time going back to sleep.. i think it helps me lots.....

• Like Like x 2