A Hard Journey with Tinnitus, Then What a Surprise. Hi.

Discussion in 'Support' started by Nick Hardy, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Nick Hardy
      Stressed

Nick Hardy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi,

Last 3 years very very stressful. Had to retire early. Exhausted, TMJ, adverse reaction to drug that put me in A&E 5 times, tinnitus, family issues.

Recently thought going mad with stress and anxiety then today got involved in DIY and it went and so did my pains.

Once I finished the job it all came back.

Heard of Julian Cowan Hill's theory of CNS idling in the background in red alert.

I am beginning to think I've got PTSD. Can anyone relate to this? If this is so how do I get this to stop being in red alert? Any comments appreciated.

Thanks Nick

• Like Like x 1
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      It has been said that distraction with something that is very interesting and requiring the brain's total attention can provide positive effect on our coping with T. That is why we often promote the idea of going back to living despite T, living life abundantly and finding joy amid the pain.

Why not use hobbies to help distract the brain? For me, I do gardening, fishing, camping, bird watching too besides hiking/walking and I keep 4 aquariums too. I find outdoor activities can heal anxiety/depression like magic. The planning process before the outdoor event can take your mind away from worrying about T, and the richness of the outdoor experiences can heal the mind and allow it to rest from the harmful brain chemicals of negative emotions. At least try a new hobby which we always want to do. How about photography, ceramics/pottery, painting, musical instruments, etc. etc.

This hobby-healing approach is actively promoted by Paul Tobey, a concert pianist and a recovered T veteran who gives lectures on living with T & is still featured on ATA site. I find this advice tremendously healing for my T journey. That is why I posted many of my hobby activities on the Positivity thread to encourage T sufferers to try to live their life & pursuing their hobbies regardless of T high or low. It can only help and make life easier. Finding joy amid the pain, and living life abundantly regardless of T is my new motto. It may take time to get there, but as long as you stick to it, it will pay off in due time and you won't be so scared of T.

By the way, I suffered from PTSD too and I talked about how I have recovered from that plus my ultra high pitch T & severe H in my success story. You can read it here:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/from-darkness-to-light-how-i-recovered-from-tinnitus-hyperacusis.3148/

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nick Hardy
      Stressed

Nick Hardy Member

Tinnitus Since:

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nick Hardy
      Stressed

Nick Hardy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Thanks so much for this . It feels like a few locks are being taken off the doors . Wish you well. Nick

• Like Like x 2
    5. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I got PTSD after having some breakdowns at work, at home, and when I was out. Terrible feeling. Lately, when my tinnitus has gotten loud I have had "meltdowns". I might have to change something.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nick Hardy
      Stressed

Nick Hardy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi Jasonp I can relate to your situation . It's like it's two of me. The inside vunerable and scared and outside outgoing and confident. Get really bad pain in muscles gut and jaw. Tinnitus really gets me going . Going to see EMDR therapist.trying to cope can be a real effort and very exhausted very quickly. Very interested in billionsost and opinions of Julian Cowan hill . What do you think? Nick