A Look Back at ENT Visits

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dmitriy, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Dmitriy
      Relaxed

Dmitriy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot Exposure
      When I got Tinnitus 4 month ago I visited 2 ENTs who were highly rated in my area. One of them works for medical clinic that specializes in Tinnitus and Balance issues.

Both ENTs fully expected my tinnitus to be result of hearing loss. When audiology tests showed that my hearing is 100 % they were baffled, and could not provide other reasonable explanation. One said that this type of tinnitus (gun shot) is like a trauma, and will take long time to heal.

What really bothers me is that neither provided any recommendations on how to manage tinnitus or best practices to avoid deterioration. No medicine recommendation, no steroids, no vitamins, no lifestyle changes, not even ear plugs.

I can find dozens of different recommendations on this site. Are ENTs really that clueless when it comes to tinnitus, or are most recommendations just common sense guesswork?

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      ENT check for problems and organise MRI and do opperatìons but it's Audiology that give help and support for tinnitus and see if hearing aids or maskers will help and provide other information and CBT.
      Love glynis

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dmitriy
      Relaxed

Dmitriy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot Exposure
      Well, either Audiologists or ENTs - I would expect someone to provide Tinnitus guidance. I am not talking about finding hearing aids with the right masking frequency, but more of a general guidance.

I saw some posts here where people come to doctors and basically tell them what to prescribe (like steroids), and doctors do that. I am not sure if it's more a case in places where it takes long time to get an appointment.