A Month In: Some Questions

Discussion in 'Support' started by larascott, Apr 4, 2016.

1. larascott
      Wishful

larascott Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Either concert and/or pain meds from recent dental work
      Hello! I'm new here. I'm so glad this forum exists.

I have had off and on ear ringing for years. Then about 2 months ago I had a ton of crazy bad dental news: I needed all three of my root canals redone, and one had an abscess.

So I went in for the first part of the treatment on two teeth. I was told to take Tylenol and Advil together for 3-4 days every few hours, and I am NOT a pain pill fan. Also to take antibiotics for a week, and Percocet if I needed it, which I took very little of.

I'm a pretty tough cookie but the pain was very intense, so I did as I was told. About a few days in I started noticing the ringing, then went to a concert (that wasn't even all that loud) and BAM - the ringing stuck.

It's now been almost a month. It's mostly just in one ear (though occasionally shoots to the other ear and terrifies me). If I'm sitting in a room with a fan like I am now then I can't really hear it unless I close that ear. It also itches and pops quite often.

I feel like it MIGHT be getting better, but I want to take it so careful.

A few questions:

-I have plans to go to a concert in 2 weeks. Can I go if I have earplugs, or am I probably in a very volatile state where I shouldn't? I would gladly cancel if it could mean progress.
      -I have to go back in for the rest of the dental treatment today. Am I safer just taking Percocet?

Thanks in advance!

2. Sarah Russett

Sarah Russett Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2015 - April 2017 (now T-free)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise-induced
      You should always wear earplugs when going to concerts. ALWAYS unless it is pretty quiet. YOU don't want ot get tinnitus from noise exposure that was completely preventable.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      A warm welcome to the forum.

I think as it's early days for you I would give the concert a miss this time till your ears settle down incase risk it becoming permanent.
      Dental work can inflame your jaw joint and increase tinnitus but should settle over 48 hours of it happens.
      I don't mean not go to any more concerts as plugs should help protect your ears but with tinnitus comes lots of unwanted emotions and this can be as hard going as the sound itself and lack of sleep.

Give it time and see how your tinnitus is over the next few weeks and months.....lots of love glynis

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      larascott
      Wishful

larascott Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well, right. I used to be so good about earplugs and then I was careless. I will always wear them from now on.

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      larascott
      Wishful

larascott Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks so much for the warm welcome. I think I will definitely pass on the concert this time to give my ears some time to heal up. I'm seeing Brian Wilson play Pet Sounds in October, and I want to be nice and ready to hear that! :)

• Like Like x 1
    6. Fretux
      Batty

Fretux Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      awesome, love brian wilson, pet sounds is such a masterpiece!!!