A New Tone Out of Nowhere

Discussion in 'Support' started by Markku, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Unfortunately, it looks like my last year's worsening wasn't the end of it.

A few days ago I noticed a new tone. The exact moment was after waking up from a nap.

A demonstration:

Markku's New Tinnitus Tone

It's been a rough year to say the least for me and now I have to worry if this is going to stick. I know the common nature of spikes and random new temporary noises — however this would be the first for me if this goes away. My tinnitus has been generally very stable (sans fleeting tinnitus episodes, but they are a different beast: muffled hearing for half a minute and extremely high-pitched ringing) if last year's gradual worsening isn't taken into account.

I'll make sure & update if things change but right now I have to deal with the increased anxiety, trying to keep my my fight-or-flight response at bay, and working to calm myself.

:(

Wish I had better news.

• Hug Hug x 16
    2. LeQuack
      Gloomy

LeQuack Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      Hey brother, sorry to hear about the new tone. It was pretty much the same for me now that I think about it, my T was pretty stable for years, I always knew what to expect even if things got a bit too loud on occupations. Then the new tone came just out of nowhere, weird how that happens. Hang in there, maybe try taking prednisone since it's still early?

3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Markku,
      Just to say I'm thinking of you and do what you can to stay calm and not panic.
      Hope your new sound is short lived and goes as fast as it came and stay positive it will.
      Sending you a big hug, ...lots of love glynis

4. Jae
      Bookworm

Jae Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/12/15
      Do tones just magically appear out of nowhere? If you kept your ears in well condition (no persistent exposure to loud noise), the hair cells shouldn't sustain damage other than from aging. However b.c studies recently point to the brain as the source of T, hormonal changes could add to your new tone. Perhaps you are eating something new or taking new med that is causing some sort of hormonal changes. Or it could be a butterfly effect from some other ailment affecting the body which is causing the changes.

5. LeQuack
      Gloomy

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      I wish that was the case but it seems the more I take care of my ears the worse the tinnitus gets. So I seriously doubt that most T setbacks and new tones are a result of additional hearing damage, at least for me it must be something else. Like genetics, a tumor, something.

6. Jae
      Bookworm

Jae Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/12/15
      Genetic factor plays if your family has a history of hearing problems. Tumor affecting the audio nerves can be determined by MRI. Increasingly fluctuating hearing loss, and with Tinnitus signifies either an auto-immune disease, and if accompanied by vertigo, meniere's syndrome. OFC there is also the secret allergy factor that you aren't might not be aware about.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I remember your case, yeah.

I actually did have a good experience with Prednisone when I took it for another issue for a week or so (and I don't consider it a placebo: I had no expectations whatsoever that it might have any effect on my tinnitus since I knew about the window of opportunity fairly well).

No such luck as permanent reduction though, the tinnitus returned quickly — approx in two days — back to the previous level after the treatment.

Now wanting to try and do something, I've taken and continue to take large doses of N-Acetylcysteine, Magnesium, Acetyl-L-Carnitine, Taurine, and others. As far as I know, not much evidence for alleviating tinnitus (although may possess some otoprotectant effects etc), even less so in cases of sudden idiopathic worsening/change, but I feel I have to try something. The story many of us are all too familiar with.

Maybe I should have tried Prednisone the same day I got this new one. Actually, it wasn't too long ago when I thought that I should always have a pack of it ready "just in case". Trying to have it prescribed isn't the easiest task.

Earlier I wished our members happy holidays... I wish I'd get to feel happy about it too.

Anyway — knowing how gloomy things are for you as well, you have my sympathies and best wishes.

Glynis :huganimation:

Good questions — I have no answer. I only know that I take care of not exposing myself to loud noises, and I haven't taken any medications lately that I could attribute this to either.

On a regular basis I hear about people whose tinnitus has either started and/or worsened without a cause that they can attribute it to. If you go to sleep and wake up with a new tone, it's just baffling, isn't it?

And that's also what's a little scary — never knowing what tomorrow brings. Then again, that's also life in general. Anything can happen. Worrying is futile. Should enjoy the present day but that is sometimes a tough order.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    8. LeQuack
      Gloomy

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      I heard somewhere that prednisone is effective up to 2 weeks after, but ideally in the first week. So maybe it's not too late. I've taken it a few time, of course it was always a hustle with the doctors and prescriptions but I guess even if it didn't help at least I could say I've tried something.

9. dboy
      Jaded

dboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2007 & 8/2013
      I'd say hang onto hope for a while yet. A couple of months ago I was losing my marbles having had a bad spike for several weeks and starting to feel convinced it was gonna be permanent. But it backed off again eventually. I understand this is a whole new tone, but t is unpredictable.

(Actually my spike seemed to go away quite soon after I started using tVNS (which has otherwise not been a success for me). This is probably pure coincidence, but I have often wondered whether the plasticity promoted by the tVNS had worked toward reversing the spike. I was meaning to do some research about this and see whether this is a plausible hypothesis before posting about it. Your post has reminded me that this might be relevant to people whose tinnitus has recently changed.)

Anyway, my post was more to express support/empathy than to waffle on with speculation. After everything you do for folks with t it would be a great injustice if yours should get permanently worse again. I really hope your new tone goes away again soon Markku. Best wishes.

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Markku

We have had T for a similar length of time. I know how it feels to have the worsening T over time. I have multiple tones and my T is very reactive to noise these days. I have looked after my hearing since 2010 and moved out of my loud workplace into an office. Also I have cut out caffeine, no concerts, fireworks or anything like that and yet it has worsened, like I had been going to rock concerts since 2010. It doesn't make much sense and I have given up trying to work out what makes it gets worse. There is no rhyme or reason. Perhaps the nerve pathways involved just become stronger over time?
      You have my empathy as this time. Hopefully the new tone will subside or you will adjust to it. The anxiety it creates it horrid, I know but there may be better days to come.
      All we can do is take one day at a time and hope someone one day finds a treatment that actually reduces the symptoms.

11. Onnie
      No Mood

Onnie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      '09/1.0: Loud concert '15/2.0: Cause unsure
    12. CDNThailand

CDNThailand Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/17/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MP3, Stress, TMJ
      @Markku

Did the tone ever go away?

13. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      going for a rim shot on the snare drum.
      I had this happen to me a few times a couple of months ago...it occured after exposure to a loud sound, out of nowhere, and possibly as a response to the general fuzz acrn. Sounded very similar, was a loud blooping noise. I jus put pressure on my ear and luckily the sound went away. I havent had it since (knocking on wood). Saying a prayer for ya man.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Thanks for asking. Unfortunately, it never did. :banghead:

Something I've noticed lately, over the past months, is that I've had less and less episodes of fleeting tinnitus. I used to get those a ton, sometimes several times a day.

Not that it matters when the baseline loudness and type of tones are intrusive as heck either way.

• Hug Hug x 2
    15. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Just saw this @Markku, I hope you're feeling better. Did you do anything preceding this new tone that could have triggered it, or was it truly random?

I really feel bad for you as I know you have other health issues on top of this. This is just rubbing salt into the wounds. If I can help in any way I'm always here, as I'm sure most others here are too. You created this place, so all the support others have felt is ultimately on your shoulders.

Keep fighting the good fight bud. Hopefully one day we will all rejoice together.

• Like Like x 1
    16. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Markku,
      Happy chat on the phone with you always.....
      May be you might benifit from a low dose AD that can help tinnitus.
      I have had a big improvement with Nortriptaline 50mg....
      I know you have other problems also.

You are here for us all on this fantastic forum you created and we are all here for you and your much loved by everyone...lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    17. CDNThailand

CDNThailand Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/17/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MP3, Stress, TMJ
      I get fleeting tinnitus like 30 tomes a day...is it trying to get worse or maybe healing? 2 months into t...

18. Samantha R

Samantha R Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @glynis how long did the Nortryptaline take to work for you in terms of reducing your tinnitus?

19. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Not long at all May be 2 -4 weeks
      ...maybe less.
      .lots of love glynis

• Informative Informative x 1
    20. derpytia
      Pooptoast

derpytia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014 (many increases since then)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Progressive hearing loss / noise / ETD
      @Markku I'm sorry man! I know how you feel man! Hang in there with me, okay? There is more to life than this mess. <3
      (i should change my username to "twelve-tone-tia" but i am still a derp)

• Like Like x 1