A New Treatment Paradigm from the University of Michigan

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Hudson, Jun 20, 2013.

tinnitus forum
    1. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      • Like Like x 7
    2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hudson,

How exciting! Thanks for posting this. It really does sound promising.

• Like Like x 1
    3. erik
      Breezy

erik Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Great! Looks like a sound and electrical stimulus device. They said based on 15 years of research. Let's hope it doesn't take that long to be available.

• Like Like x 2
    4. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      w0rd

5. So many different products out their......hopefully this is one that can help

6. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      We can only hope!! Something is going to "give" one of these days. I'm just hoping it happens soon.

7. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I figured I would give an update about what I have heard after speaking with a tinnitus researcher about this project at UM.

"This approach is actually designed for those with noise-induced tinnitus (perhaps it can work for those with TMJ-related tinnitus, e.g.), and that's the magic of it. Because noise or aging damage has presumably changed the firing balance in the cochlear nucleus that arrives via the VIII cranial nerve (audio-vestibular nerve) toward a more excitable state (loosely). VII nerve afferents are a "back door" to this brainstem center that can perhaps be recruited to balance out that overexcitability. I'm not quite sure the nature of the electrical activity or its patterns (we might never know if it is proprietary) but that is the conceptual idea.
      For those with normal jaw functioning, for example, it is very common for noise-related tinnitus sufferers to report a modulation of their T percept by clinching their jaw. The current approach takes advantage of this relationship."

So this treatment would is not just aimed at those with TMJ issues, but other tinnitus types as well. I'm assuming that anyone who has the ability to modulate their tinnitus by clenching their jaw might benefit from it (if it actually works). The cool thing about this approach is that it is non invasive, as opposed to the Microtransponder approach of surgically implanting a device to stimulate the vagus nerve (the target is a different nerve, but their theory is that it would possibly calm overexcitability as well).

On top of that, if the device indeed moves to clinical trials, the ride would be a fairly smooth one I'm guessing because of the relatively safe nature of the method overall. It would be more a question of whether it's efficacious or not. That means they could basically jump Phase 1 trials and move directly to Phase 2 trials.

• Like Like x 5
    8. erik
      Breezy

erik Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Sounds pretty good. I believe 60-70% of all T sufferers can modulate their T so some extent. I know I can in a variety of ways. Great to see research on all different fronts. Thanks for the update Hudson

9. Grant1

Grant1 Member

Hudson, thanks for posting this.

My tinnitus increases if I yawn, but only for the time it takes to yawn. I wonder if many others experience the same.

10. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Yes, mine does the same thing. I suspect it is very common. The data says it is.

11. Aisling

Aisling Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/9/12
      Mine increases the same way when I yawn it's as if it blocks off all other sounds. But I am not sure if my tinnitus changes when I press on my jaw I have never found that! Great to see more research coming through. They have to figure this thing out sometime.

• Like Like x 1
    12. Map
      Balanced

Map Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2003 (mild), 12/2012 (loud)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I can't modulate my T with jaws or other things in any way, and it is noise induced too.