A Question About Loud Music

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dawn Whinetaker, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Dawn Whinetaker

Dawn Whinetaker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      I worked in a loud music environment for a few years and that's what my doctor rooted my tinnitus back to. I had often been told that loud music could affect your hearing, so I'm not surprised that this has happened- with that being said I know MANY people who listen to their headphones on a very loud setting for very long periods of time and never once experience tinnitus. Is it more common to happen to people who are in a loud-speaker environment than people who listen to headphones? It seems like I've just never met anyone who had this happen due to headphones.

2. eldudebro
      Doh

eldudebro Member

Tinnitus Since:
      31/07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Loud Music.
      I'm pretty sure that is how I acquired my T too. Since around 2001/2002 I was always on the go with my mp3 player and then ipod at top volume. Add in all the times I spent at loud bars, going to live shows and using headphones on my laptop, I'd say it's a likely candidate for me....

I think the occurrence of Tinnitus in the younger population is going to explode over the coming years. Just go on public transport and you are guaranteed to see several people ravaging their ears at top volume. Lack of public information and warnings over the danger of loud noise is creating this problem.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Yeah that's how I got mine I suspect it 95% loud music , in my car with these Haman/ kardon speakers they were amazing but unfortunately gave me tinnitus :( and I use to listen to ear phones a lot but I don't think I ever pu the volume on full for long , usually I put the volume highest when a really good part of the song comes or about to come , I know I won't be doing that again yes @eldudebro you're right . I am one of these younger population who got t I got when I was 18 and now I'm 19

4. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm still surprised to see that some people's ears are OK after 40+ years of abuse, and others get tinnitus in their late teens after a couple of concerts. How can there be that much variance in the human ear from one person to the next?

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    5. Quentino
      Tired

Quentino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Decrease of Hearing i presume.
      It happens to both, more for people with headphones because there is a false impression of not-so-loud music.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. tinnitussufferer
      Angry

tinnitussufferer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2004
      just gentics

7. TheGagagirl1234

TheGagagirl1234 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/loud music
      Yes, I think that we may get T from any loud noises. I think I got mine from listening to too much and too loud music. Luckily mine isn't very loud, so I can still function normally during the day. But my T is annoying at night when I'm not tired.

8. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Probably something with the general health of the nutritions , like when I got t I found deficiency in vit b12 and zinc 2 and magnesium that protects So I assume my audiotery nerves were already weak and some loud music made me get tinnitus although I don't my have hearing loss below -20db it's just really frustrating

9. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi All,
      As you know tinnitus has lots of causes and loud sounds a big cause and Carn't believe it's not advertised and people put their ears in danger every day .
      People with noise related tinnitus should be aware of sound and use noise reduction ear plugs around sound 80 db and above .
      Sound that's really loud can still cause problems with noise reduction plugs as ears can pick extreme sounds up from behind your ears through your Mastoid bones so should keep well away from speakers .
      It would be great see adverts on tv regarding ear protection and damage through loud sounds and would help so many people making them pause and think twice .
      .....lol glynis

• Agree Agree x 2
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dawn Whinetaker

Dawn Whinetaker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      That is very interesting. I had a B12 deficiency as well- which ultimately (my doctor's think) caused my Bells Palsy (a small stroke-like illness that only affects your face). Ironically none of them every put two and two together in terms of it also causing my tinnitus. It makes a lot of sense that certain deficiencies would weaken your audiotery nerves.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dawn Whinetaker

Dawn Whinetaker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      As am I! It is very surprising how different people can be. But I suppose it's the same thing as people being pre-disposed to heart conditions, strokes, cancers, and other illnesses. Like tinnitussufferer stated, genetics probably plays a huge role in how well different people can handle different sound environments.

12. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Yeah ofc auditory nerves are same as normal nerves the healthier you're nervous system the better you're ears are simple as that how to make CNS healthy ?
      1(most important)EXERCISE! Specially cardio
      2-eat healthy specially (fish)--->omega 3 & lots of veggies and fruits
      3-keep away from loud noise don't take any risks even if you feel fine
      Do these and I'm sure something good will happen
      Good luck to all
      UAE96

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Interesting indeed!
      I regularly test my b12 levels and they're always fine. None of my family members have tinnitus, except for my late grandfather (used to work in the engine rooms of ships) and my father (never used plugs when playing music, loud headphone use, drives a motorcycle).

I've been subject to tons of stress however, and this can lead to changes in the brain. I wonder if that had any effect on tinnitus. I also feel that I can't think as quickly and sharply as I could 5 years ago. Hopefully I regain that ability once I manage to keep my stress levels down.

14. Dubbyaman
      Angry

Dubbyaman Member Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Excessive loud noise
      yup loud headphones did me in