A Second Opinion? Will My Tinnitus Heal with Time or Is It Permanent This Time?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by JoHa17, Jan 18, 2017.

1. JoHa17

JoHa17 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise
      Hi there,

Well I just got back from the ENT and really the conclusion was that only time will tell.

Two weeks ago I went to a gun range with my buddy and we shot around 30 rounds on the AR 15. We were both wearing hearing protection but after we were done my ears were ringing very loudly and it was extremely muffled, a very awful feeling.

The next day, I went to the ENT and found out I had hearing loss around 4000 hz. He immediately put me on Prednisone.

Fast forward two weeks (today) I went back in and I don't have hearing loss anymore according to the test. My left ear feels completely fine but my right is still slightly clogged and I do have ringing in it. The Doc said it's a good sign my hearing came back and the muffled/ringing drastically decreased but only time will be able to tell if it goes away.

The first time I came across tinnitus was back in 2013 where I was shooting outdoors without protection. I honestly don't remember how long it took but I do know my tinnitus eventually vanished. Maybe it didn't vanish and my brain got used to it but it wasn't a problem for me.

So I'm only worried that this second encounter with a gun made my T worse or louder.

Just wanted to get some second opinions if you guys think this is something that will heal with time or if it really might be permanent this time? Thanks.

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      With tinnitus there is no magic wand and as long as you have had some treatment at first exposure to sound and hearing better it truly is a waiting game as time is a great healer.
      Use sound therapy at night set below your tinnitus and your brains natural filter will start to work as your brain focuses on the lower sound you have chosen and not fixate on your tinnitus sound.
      Do what you can to relax and sleep and eat well too
      ...lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    3. MikeL1972

MikeL1972 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uknown
      Hi Joha,

The key is to protect your ears at all costs when you are knowingly in any loud environments. As for firing guns, I would avoid it even when wearing ear protection because it's like playing Russian roulette.

• Like Like x 1