A Supporting/Comforting Thought (Silence Doesn't Exist... Hear Me Out)

Discussion in 'Support' started by TheDanishGirl, Jul 26, 2017.

1. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      I have been thinking about something the last couple of days.....

Silence does not exist......hear me out;)

When people say they relax in silence, maybe lying in bed or on the couch often they will still hear some sound: sounds from the outside: the wind, birds chirping etc. and maybe sounds from electrical appliances, or crackling in the walls of their home.

Even when put in a totally silent (soundproof) room, you will hear yourself: your breath, maybe your heart beating and your stomach making small noises.

I have found this realization very relaxing and comforting....that even though us with tinnitus would most certainly like a more silent world......actual total silence exists for no one (other then maybe deaf people?)

Just a stray thought that helps me when I struggle, hope it maybe can help someone else :)

• Like Like x 4
      • Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      A good post @TheDanishGirl and quite true. Unfortunately there are deaf people with tinnitus and their world is far from silent as they hear the tinnitus loud and intrusive and are unable to use "sound enrichment" as you or I do because they can't hear it. By the time Beethoven composed his 9th symphony he was completely deaf but in torment with the sound of tinnitus.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      Yes, that is very horrible! to be trapped in your head with only the tinnitus devil to torment you with its noise :( I feel so sorry for these people, and i truly am grateful that despite the T i can still hear other enjoyable noises as well: music, birds song, the ocean, the wind in the trees, the voices of my loved ones.

4. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Whatever that gets you through this ordeal, is a great thing :)

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Too bad TinnitusTalk wasn't around for Beethoven.....

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    6. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Quite true. It is quite easy to take our senses for granted until something goes wrong with one of them. I was particularly moved last week when entering a DIY store/home improvement centre. A young man came out holding a long white stick and tapping on the ground and was walking towards a van .When he go there placed both hands on the side of the vehicle feeling his way towards the front and held the passenger side door handle, then got in. It was a bright glorious sunny day without a cloud in the sky.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    7. JohnnyMx
      Sunshine

JohnnyMx Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Apr/2013
      Silence has always stunned me, even when my T was not a big deal.

I hated quite rooms with closed windows, I had always to open the windows and hear the outside sounds to feel comfortable.

So I agree, just few people does like COMPLETE silence. Most of the people need some kind of background sound to feel relaxed.

I still hate quite rooms, and not because of my T. For example, I have been couple of times in an audiometry room, and I feel i will go insane, again not because of my T (i feel very habituated with it)... but the lack of sound does not feel good to me.

8. Shera
      Bookworm

Shera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      head trama caused TMJ/neck problems/ETD
      It's hard for me because I loved silence. Would seek it out. We don't have AC and stuff so finding silence was easy. I hated any noises in my bedroom when reading or when sleeping.

But I like your thoughts @TheDanishGirl. Very true that there is never any total silence. When we went to the mountains today to see my favorite ice cave I could here my T because it was nature silence, but I could still hear all the birds and animals. The trees blowing. It's a blessing.