A Thank you and Appreciation For Your Guidance

Discussion in 'Dr. Stephen Nagler (Archived Answers)' started by kmohoruk, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Dr. Nagler is not accepting new questions.
    Dismiss Notice
tinnitus forum
    1. kmohoruk

kmohoruk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise, Ear Infection, TMJ
      (Since I cannot send a message to you through a conversation, I wanted to pass it along this way)

Hello Dr. Nagler,

I just finished reading in the "Why TRT Sometimes Fails" topic, and was very disappointed with some of the things that were said. It's amazing what people say when they are behind a key board and typing such negativity.

I just wanted to extend a very grateful thank you, and show my appreciation for the support that you give on this forum, and how you give your time for free.

When I had a permanent spike in my T over the summer (After being perfectly habituated to it for about 6 years) and had a mild case of Hyperacusis develop due to firearms, I was a mess. I wasn't eating, sleeping and had very dark thoughts. Thankfully with the support of my parents, girl friend and friends I managed to pull myself together. Sometimes I have bad days, but even now I have some days where I am able to read in a very quiet room with my T just being there, doing its thing.

With the Canadian medical system, it requires one to have to wait on average 3 months to get into an ENT. Since I had this spike, I haven't been able to go to school or work. So I try and keep busy doing online courses, helping my parents and exercising. But I spend most of my time at home while I'm waiting for my appointment.

I have been doing pretty well, but recently when October came around (My apt with the ENT is on the 20th and then TRT starts on the 23rd), I started to crack again. Started to get restless, sad, wanted time to go faster, thought my T was getting loud etc...

When I managed to ask you some of those questions, as well as read some of your previous answers from other peoples questions, it helped give me some information and support, which is what I really needed. It makes me feel good knowing that where I'll be going (St Pauls in Vancouver) is with an audiologist that you respect.

So Thank you Dr. Nagler for everything that you have done for this board. I am a strong believer in positivity and how it can make a difference in your physical and mental state - which I am sure plays a big factor in TRT. It's nice seeing you have that same sort of positive attitude on this forum.

As you said tonight " It takes Strategy, Determination, Flexibility, and Insight. But it can be done. And if I can do it, you can do it. "

I hope your having a good night,

Kris Mohoruk
      • Like Like x 2
    2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member

Atlanta, Georgia USA
      Tinnitus Since:
      That would be two of us, Kris.

I do thank you for your kind words, though. It means a lot.

Let me clarify one thing I said in that thread that might be a bit misleading.

DIY ("Do It Yourself") tinnitus treatments often work just fine, and I did not mean to suggest otherwise. My preferred DIY tinnitus treatment is DIY CBT. I even wrote an article about it.

But I am not a fan of "DIY TRT" because I do not see how you can effectively complete the bi-directional TRT counseling on your own. Now there is certainly no harm in trying "DIY TRT," but since the TRT protocol specifically calls for bi-directional TRT counseling, you really won't be doing TRT at all, and you cannot expect the 85% probability of success that you would enjoy if you did TRT with an experienced and knowledgeable TRT clinician.

Best to all -

Dr. Stephen Nagler
      • Like Like x 2