A UK Newbie

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Queenie, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Queenie

Queenie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music I think
      Hi, I've had tinnitus for 20 years with hyperacusis that have both been getting worse over the years, now being the worst it's been thus far, and I've had a headache for 5 weeks now. Just started seeing a hearing therapist so will see how that goes.

After a nasty accident late 2014 and 5 surgeries my tinnitus has got louder and it's a very high pitch sound that's pops sometimes and sounds like waves and pops again and goes back to a loud high pitch noise that sometimes gets quieter (but don't know why), and my hyperacusis is more severe which causes me pain in one ear, and causes me anxiety when there are loud noises like kids screaming or loud men's voices and I also use lip reading when there is background noise in bars.

Medication I take at the moment: thyroxine 125mcg (underactive 30 yrs) sleeping tablet 7.5mg, HRT 2mg.

I have to go to sleep with the tv on as this helps distract my brain noise so I can sleep, I've now put tv on standby now that's available and this helps.

I've come hear looking for answers and self help as to why my tinnitus has got louder and anything I can do to help myself.

Hello all x

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Queenie Do use listen to music through headphones? Do you attend clubs, concerts or the cinema where loud sounds are played?
      If your answer is yes to any of these questions that could be the reason your tinnitus has got worse.
      Michael

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Queenie

Queenie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music I think
      Hi Michael

I used to go to clubs a lot, with very loud music and my ears would ring for days after, just one day it never stopped but it's a high pitch tone not ringing

Now I haven't been for years but stress and anxiety levels have increased a lot, my hearing therapist tell me these can increase the T sound

4. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Queenie
      Hi. It is good that you are under the care of a hearing therapist. If you are able to get TRT (tinnitus retraing therapy) that would be good. Wearing white noise generators will help cure the hyperacusis and counselling will help treat your anxiety. Avoid sleeping in a quiet room by using a sound machine. I strongely advise you to click on the link below and read my article: An Introduction to tinnitus. More is explained about the benefits of a sound machine.
      Best of luck
      Michael
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/an-introduction-to-tinnitus.12100/

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Queenie

Queenie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music I think
      That's great advice thanks Michael, I'm going to search for those white noise generators now and look into the sound box tomorrow as it's oops 01:40 in the UK x

6. danieluk
      Scared

danieluk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Im in the UK too. a 5 speaker surround sound system works wonders with a recording of victoria falls. I play victoria falls and a dishwasher recording together.

If you get referred to a NHS tinnitus counseling they will give you in ear white noise generators by audiomed for free.

If you need any help feel free to message me

7. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Queenie
      As Danieluk has rightly said, white noise generators are supplied free of charge by the NHS if they stock them at your hospital. I do not advise that you buy them privately. White noise generators must be used correctly. It is best to be under the care of a hearing therapist or audiologist and having tinnitus counselling when using these devices, otherwise they are not likely to work. Furthermore, if they are not used correctly they can make the tinnitus worse!
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Queenie

Queenie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music I think
      I will ask my hearing therapist about TNT and white noise box next week when I see her thanks