A Weird Symptom (When I'm Around Electronic Devices, My Tinnitus Spikes), Anyone Else Have This?

Discussion in 'Support' started by s7607, Jul 6, 2015.

1. s7607

s7607 Member

so i've had this t thing for a few months now, but it's come with this really weird symptom and i was wondering if anyone else has/can explain it. when i'm around certain electronic devices (the only one i've been able to identify is a security camera monitor screen so far) my tinnitus spikes. i can't usually identify what devices cause it as i usually get the spike when walking past certain shops in the mall/street which means that whatever's causing the spike is obscured from view.

when i get the spike it's either a constant or spikes then goes back down and then back up every 4-5 seconds. if i move outside a certain range from the device that's causing the spike, then the symptoms stop until i go back into whatever the range is (usually a few metres).

has anyone ever heard of this before? i've had absolutely no luck when searching it up and the ent just gave me a look like wtf when i explained lol. i've had two audiograms and apparently have no hearing loss btw.

• Like Like x 1
    2. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      You'd get more useful information from a Podiatrist than you would from an ENT.

• Funny Funny x 1
    3. Thongjy
      Balanced

Thongjy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      Can I know if the security camera monitor wireless, LCD or CRT display?

Does your T compete with the surrounding noise? Meaning the noiser the surrounding the higher volume your T is?

Do you know the cause of your T?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    4. Mad maggot
      Breezy

Mad maggot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Sounds spooky! There's always been argument too about high tension wires causing problems for people and lots of docs saying this is rubbish but interestingly when I landed in hospital with neurological systems suggestive of MS I was asked by the first three docs who came to see me: ""do you live near any power pylons and high tension wires?"
      I haven't noticed what you do but I find fleurescent lights make my T so loud I can't hear anyone speak. But I don't get just T as it comes with my eyes bouncing and jumping with the noise in my ear. I wonder if my eyes are causing the T or the ears are causing the eye jumps. Haven't worked that out but lights bringing it on would seem to suggest it's beginning with my eyes? Bizarre I know but life often is!

5. Thongjy
      Balanced

Thongjy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      Try doing this test. can you place your head near the wireless router or modem while doing a streaming or download and check if that also spike your T.

6. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      When I was in the countryside far away from cell networks and most kinds of electronic fields for a few days last week, my high frequency T was reduced by what seemed like 75%.

When I was driving back towards civilization, I heard it turn back on, almost like a switch was being flipped, when I got to the outskirts of the first mid-sized town....

...it makes you think!

Note that the place I was staying, DID have a wireless router -- in fact, it was inside the room I was sleeping in. What that place doesn't have, is cell coverage, high tension power lines, traffic, airplanes overhead, etc etc.

I mentioned this to a MD/PhD tinnitus researcher I talked to yesterday, expecting her to ridicule me. In fact, what she said was that she's talked to a large number of tinnitus patients who see a connection between their tinnitus, and cellular towers -- and she said that there's literally no real research into this, and thus, she doesn't have an opinion, because there's no data...

• Informative Informative x 1
    7. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      @s7607 ...Well, this certainly is a very interesting thread! Being that this is your only post since joining yesterday, could you tell us what caused your T condition?

8. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Something like this?.....:D

WTF-facial-expressions-of-people34.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2
    9. Thongjy
      Balanced

Thongjy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      From the engineering point of view, cellular towers are expected to broadcast over a larger area compared to a wireless router that will broadcast over a local small area. that would mean the field strength generated from the cellular is much higher than the Wifi. this also explains why though u have awifi roouter in the room but the impact is minimal.

10. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assuming you're not living right next to a cell tower, the amount of radiation you're exposed to from cell towers is minimal compared to a wireless router, or compared to the exposure you get from a cellular handset.

Of course, in ordinary life I do live right next to several cell towers, but that's a sort of inescapable consequence of urban living.

11. Thongjy
      Balanced

Thongjy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      Have you tried using a EMF meter to measure?