ABR Test — Who's Had One, What Was It LIke, Was It Helpful

Discussion in 'Support' started by rpalmquist, Jan 18, 2017.

1. rpalmquist

rpalmquist Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Auditory Brainstem Response (ABR) Test is one suggested test/treatment for tinnitus. I'm interested in learning about your experience in this form of test to help me determine if I should get one, but couldn't find much detail in this form (thus this new thread). My background:

-- Got T on 12/31/16 when attending a loud concert
      -- High pitch constant tone in left ear only,
      -- Going to my first doctor visit this afternoon.

2. Amber
      Depressed

Amber Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1999
      What are you looking to learn from the test? How could it help you?

3. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Personally I wouldn't do it,ABR tests are loud as hell and can exacerbate noise induced T.

I know people who actually got T from an ABR test so don't bother,anyway whatever info you obtain from it is not going to cure your T regardless so it's just an unnecessary risk in my opinion.

Audiograms,OAES,DPOAES are all safe in my opinion but they only test haircell response or function which is only half the picture so again it's pointless.

If your going for an audiological assessment I will say this,make sure they test all the frequencies(0-16,000hz at least)and that they do OAES/DPOAES twice back to back and make sure the results match one another and are also inline with your audiogram tests.This way you know it was an accurate result.

4. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It was LOUD and not that useful. They couldn't even get a full test on me because they couldn't get a good wave I (you can only see that at the louder settings).

5. Thissucks..jenn

Thissucks..jenn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 1-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bunch of b.s from cosmetic injections
      I did the ABR. It was fine to do. No spike for me and a 100% pass as well.