Accidental Noise Exposure Episodes

Discussion in 'Support' started by Candy, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      This is a general point...we get many threads about the fear of further auditory damage. Given that it the sufferer's biggest fear, I believe we would benefit from some cohesive advice. I guess when the Tinnitus Hub is up and running this would be addressed.

Accidental noise exposure episodes are unavoidable, how can we go to the ER or secure an ENT appointment every time they happen, I know in the UK it would be impractical...one needs to have a strategy. My strategy is "cross my fingers" but I don't think it's a particularly good one.

I think we all need to work out a plan with an audiologist or ENT or a tinnitus researcher (probably he best option and TT has good contacts) and share it amongst our forum. Some general guidelines would be useful.

Otherwise we are just at the mercy of another poster's advise who happens to be online at the time, what qualifies them? Sure, some of us may know more about the subject than others but how do you know that as the recipient of advice, especially if you are new to the forum.

The same goes for drug side effects. One falls ill without warning and is prescribed a drug they must take immediately, we see that often. Again, in that situation it's hard to get enough feedback to make a quick but educated judgment.

The added anxiety of making such decision adds to the burden of the condition.

What do you think? @Samir?

• Like Like x 2
      • Genius Genius x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      going for a rim shot on the snare drum.
      Great idea...maybe even a list of known drugs that should be avoided and posted up top like the positivity thread.

3. Gabriel5050
      No Mood

Gabriel5050 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (most likely)
      Well, I still don't see that.