Accuracy of Smartphone Sound Level Meter Applications

Discussion in 'Support' started by Bertman, Jul 31, 2015.

tinnitus forum
    1. Bertman
      No Mood

Bertman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concert
      Hey all, found this online and figured it was worth a share.

http://chr-search.com/pdf/accuracy.pdf

In the conclusion it states that db volume is the most accurate app (of the ones tested) for db readings (iPhone). But be careful as its still not that close, just good for estimating levels!

• Like Like x 1
    2. Leodavinci
      Wishful

Leodavinci Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/26/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Great post but whats the best app for android? THanks

3. Bertman
      No Mood

Bertman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concert
      I believe sound meter by Borce Trajkovski was the best android app, but the results show it's not quite as good as the iPhone app. And everyone's phone may be different. Hope this helps

4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Apple devices all use the same hardware. That is, every generation of iPhone is identical. Android is a wide open field with thousands of different hardware configurations, so it's a lot harder to understand how well your device performs in this regard without using a real dB meter for comparison.

I use Sound Meter Professional on Android, on a Nexus 5. From using it side-by-side with a real meter, I know that it's reasonably accurate up to about 75db, and then it starts clipping hard.