Acoustic Trauma and Vertigo

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jason C, Oct 14, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      In month 5 now after acoustic trauma from a powerful burgler alarm, apart from the tinnitus and hyperacusis I have balance and vertigo issues!

Does this improve over time?? I constantly feel like I have just gotten off a boat.

Jason.

2. Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hmmm are you sure that your problem came from an alarm? Sounds like that may have just amplified an existing issue. Have you seen a Neurotologist? If you haven't that would be a good idea.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      Yes unfortunately so, these burglar alarms have an external sounder that is ridiculously powerful, I was exposed too it for about 10 mins at close range.

4. glynis-harbron
      Feminine

glynis-harbron Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Ask your doctor about Betahistime or Proclorperazine and also see ENT for more tests to rule out Menieres.....lots of love glynis

5. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      Can acoustic trauma cause Menieres??

I was thinking the issue is vestibular damage (Balance hair cells)

6. glynis-harbron
      Feminine

glynis-harbron Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      It's due to a virus but you still need to get checked up and rule it out.... lots of love glynis

7. Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Wow that sounds awful. Seems like once your ear is damaged anything can happen. That being said, what you are describing doesn't sound like Meniere's. You need to see a Neurotologist because they specialize in the inner ear. An ENT isn't going to know enough about your situation.

8. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      Yea no fun at all, I am hoping ENT will refer to neuro.