Acoustic Trauma-Induced Tinnitus in One Ear — Now Noticing Fleeting Tinnitus in Good Ear — Normal?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jason37, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Jason37

Jason37 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot
      Is it normal to have fleeting tinnitus more often now in my good ear? It wakes me up in a panic that it's going to stay.

2. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      I get a lot of fleeting tinnitus now. Maybe even once or twice a day but it subsides after 10-15 seconds or so. It’s actually louder than the tinnitus I had when it was constant.
      I like to think of fleeting tinnitus as my ears repairing themselves in some way.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jason37

Jason37 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot
      It's weird because sometimes I have it with a louder tone and all of a sudden all the sounds are almost dead quiet for hours or days.

• Like Like x 2
    4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Yes. An attempt to re-calibrate...

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. Ben Winders
      Pensive

Ben Winders Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      Onset of my tinnitus started with a lot of fleeting episodes (a couple times a day). Then those fleeting episodes stopped for 10 months or so (I just had my regular tinnitus). Last month multiple daily fleeting episodes are back.

Any idea why they are back? Is there any study corroborating what is being said here: fleeting episodes are a way for the brain to recalibrate? Or is this something we like to believe.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    6. KWC

KWC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection/TMJ ??
      Is the Deanxit treatment not working anymore for you?

7. Ben Winders
      Pensive

Ben Winders Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      I don't think Deanxit ever intended to suppress my fleeting tinnitus episodes that are being instigated by god knows what.

The Deanxit still is the best thing I've tried for ignoring/coping/dealing with my regular constant chronic tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    8. mohn

mohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm also noticing fleeting sounds (SBUTT?) in my healthy ear. My bad ear seems to be little better though. It happens especially when I don't hear or observe my bad ear tinnitus!? Is it some kind of recalibration?

Online they say it might be muscle spasm or misfiring hair cells?

And ENTs ignore this?

Is it better to get an ENT's opinion? Steroids?

9. Forever hopeful
      Disappointed

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015 resolved, 4/20 L ear, increase 2/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2015,noise,2020-21 SNHL
      Even people without tinnitus get those fleeting tinnitus episodes. I get them occasionally in both ears. There isn’t a lot of good data on it but there seems to be a lot of consensus that it is muscle spasms or having something to do with the positioning of your neck and the muscles in your jaw. They did a small study where they did micro needling of one particular jaw muscle which I can’t remember and it eliminated all participant’s SBUTT.

Most importantly the consensus is that it has nothing to do with permanent tinnitus.