Acupuncture for Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by calin, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Yeah reading up on it some people on here say that this doesnt work... But it looked like it worked for 30 people there... Idk maybe they did something different? I dont know much about acuputher

2. akaalan

akaalan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Hello, my first post. My T is of the 24/7 sort, a high pitched electrical whine like a dentist's drill only at a higher frequency. A friend who wasn't aware I had this condition related another friend of theirs was a longtime T sufferer and had amazing, almost instant relief from one visit to a Chinese-trained acupuncturist, and goes back for regular sessions. Fortunate to know an acupuncturist who has Chinese mentoring I agreed to a series of 5-7 visits. I can honestly say that after the first session my T was (subjectively) knocked back about 10%, and I promised myself that ANY improvement would be worth continuing. It is expensive, though, and I've had to stop due to money constraints. Plan to start again when things ease up. The acupuncturist is focusing on kidney function as well as the ears, and is optimistic the treatments can help, but there's no pressure to keep coming back like some chiropracters in my past have done.

My biggest issue is sleep and how the tinnitus can be so maddingly distracting in falling asleep and staying there. Lately I've tried one Unisom tablet before bed and so far that's helped just getting me a better night's sleep, and it feels like a low-impact solution for starters.

Before looking into this condition I was unaware how many people suffer from this, and how difficult it is for "normal" folks to understand how stressful it is, all the time. My biggest fear is I'll someday go insane with the noise, and it takes a lot of effort to stay centered and focused as a husband, father, and my work. Thanks to all who've posted their experiences on this website. My empathy is with all of you.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      I hope the acupuncture continues to help you. Anything that can give us hope or relief, even if temporary, is definitely something worth doing.

I also didn't know how many people suffer from tinnitus until I got mine and started to look into it. It amazes me that with so many people suffering from it, there is hardly any awareness. It seems like the only people trying to raise awareness are those who are already afflicted by the problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. MikeA
      Musical

MikeA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      akaalan,

I know it's difficult, and I'm right there with you. But you've handled this for ~33 months....you won't go insane. Not to sound dismissive, but they say focusing on loved ones helps. Give the kid(s) a hug. Just don't let them yell in your ear :rolleyes:

5. ralph j begley

ralph j begley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I had acupuncture from a chinese doctor who studied and practiced in Beijing. The only way he could insert the needle behind my ear was to keep my mouth opened the entire time. Suffice it to say, it did not work for me. Relaxing on the accupuncture couch seems to be the greatest benefit. Whatever works for you.

6. akaalan

akaalan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Michael, thanks for your post. Oddly, my daughter screeched right next to me while watching a movie that evening. While non T sufferers don't know what this is like, I try to look at is as a handicap of sorts that one has to learn to deal with as many, many other people with a severe disability or permanent injury must if they wish to keep living. And I'm grateful that if this is the worst of that sort of problem I'll ever have, I'm more fortunate than those many, many others who have to go through months of therapy and rehab just to get attain something close to normal. And it's still a pain in the ass.

7. Just my two cents - of all of the alternative therapies, I think that acupuncture is more likely than any to work. It absolutely reduces stress and is pretty much risk free. Some of the mechanisms used to explain how it works are questionable, but bottom line is that it works and can't hurt, so who cares. Even if it doesn't change your tinnitus, the stress reduction may make your symptoms less bothersome.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. MikeA
      Musical

MikeA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Yup, I'm going to give it a go. Available at the research I university where I'm on the faculty. I'm a concrete type of person (got to be able to see it, feel it), but the practice has been around for > 2000 years so worth a go. And I'm sure carrying a lot of stress around my neck. Probably poor posture from being at the computer all day.

9. Rachel Murray
      Amazed

Rachel Murray Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      Hello, I have just heard from a friend that she is being seen by a chiro and feels that her T went down a lot.

I have also been suggested acupuncture, head massage and gingko tea or pills.

I have always considered alternative medicine as a scam, but my drone and my ringing are worse than ever, so for the first time in my life I am thinking of giving it a go.

Has anyone tried one of these things before?

Thanks!

10. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Hi Rachel,give a cranial osteopath a try,my local hospital,refers patients to the one I used,he gets to treat premature babies,and long labour babies.so anything head related I'd give a cranial osteopath first port of call.so good enough for a hospital to refer people to them I'd certainly trust.Have a read up on them,in your area.
      As I wasn't on a comp back then I didn't know they existed. I look at alternative treatment,if you don't try it you'll never know ,me a once doubting Thomas on a lot of things .not any more in relation to osteopathy.
      Yet another good thread you've began,see what comes up on it today.
      Tried Chinese acupuncture ,that done nothing after 6 maybe 8 sessions again for rhinitis pain,but my arthritic aunt got pain relief ,from acupuncture,went every month.what works for one. Not for another,as in my case.X

• Like Like x 1
    11. Worker

Worker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      lots going on at the time
      ACCUPUNCTURE, has anyone had any success with this treatment please?

12. Enrique
      Dreaming

Enrique Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/20/2014
      No success but it does help to relax you which is very important.

13. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      I've had several treatments by Chinese acupuncturist for Rhinitis ,did zilch for me ,never for tinnitus .
      Be interested to hear about the reaction acupuncture and T ,if others have tried .
      Didn't relax me Enrique . Yet my aunt who had arthritis swore this treatment worked for her,use to see Chinese acupuncturist every 6 weeks ,said it gave her relief .Maybe may help those on site with F M ,got to help some another therapy that's been around for years.Id never dismiss any treatment ,unless you've given it a fair go. Will watch this thread develop.

14. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I had many treatments and was hoping for improvement. Did not help my T.
      If I could afford it I would continue for the relaxation benefits and over all feeling of well being.
      What is the cost in your area? Insurance does not cover and is $100 a session.

15. skywalker
      Thinking

skywalker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      I've had 2 sessions & yes its not cheap I'm going once a week, , I feel it has made some improvements,Will keep going for now & see how it goes

16. tyty
      Wishful

tyty Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I also have used acupuncture for my T and it did not seem to help much but I did feel it helped with my tension in my neck and relieved stress.

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Tried it with a bad practitioner, who decided to use electroacupuncture on my head near the auditory nerve. Created a whole new high pitched squeal. Be very careful who you go to. Don't let them put electricity on your head!

• Like Like x 1
    18. Relic Hunter
      Cynical

Relic Hunter Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1990
      Insurance did not cover..A waste of time and money as no change in T what so ever. At least it did not get worse.

19. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Yipes, @Lisa88. electricity on your head?? That does sound scary! Not a good idea, unless you are working with a neurologist.

You can scroll back on this thread and read about my acupuncture experience in more detail, if you want. In a nutshell, feel it helped me for awhile, then plateaued. I stopped completely about two months ago. Not sorry I tried it. My insurance did not cover it.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    20. Codaz

Codaz Member

I did 3 treatments now. 80 euro's per session. First session I felt a lot of muscle spasms during the treatment (needles inserted and you can sleep for 45 mins until he removes them).

Definately was louder after the treatment but I had no more fleetings after that until yesterday. And I did have fleetings once or twice a week. Last friday the acupuncturist focussed on different spots. Facial and not on the spots he did the first two times. It did not do as much as the first 2 times so I'm going to discuss this with him.

First two times the needles were indeed inserted behind the ears, one in the left arm for anxiety, and one in the left ankle for emotional response. Third treatment it was in my left hand just left from the first finger.

But does it do something? Yes. Does it solve it? I don't know.

21. Antonio

Antonio Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear fatigue
      So I have been to an apucunture session today. The man who does it is specialized in "chinese energy". It can seems a bit weird, but he was a nurse before, so he knows occidental medicine, and he is definitely not another wackadoodle who surfs on the "another treatment" hype.

He planted something like 20 needles on my body, saying that my tinnitus (which appeared for no reasons, although I am a musician, but I protected myself with moulded plugs), was due to an unbalanced energy between the liver and the kidneys. I didn't believe those bullshits. But man...

After 15 minutes, my jawbone started to shiver, and some muscles spasms occurred everywhere. After 20 minutes, my tinnitus disappeared in my right ear, and the one in my left ear changed its tone from suprahigh (like a washing machine spinnin hard) to a slight medium one!!!

I came back home with my head full of fucking hopes, and one hour after, my hearing is crystal clear!!! I still have a slight background noise with a very slight ring, but it is nothing compared to before!

It might be temporary, I don't know, I don't have any perspective on it yet, I have to wait a few days to tell whether or not it works long-term, but what I can already say for sure is that APUCUNTURE FUCKING WORKS!!! My hearing was not damaged at the basis, it is important to precise it. Also, my tinnitus was going from 1/10 to 3/10 so it was not a super big deal compared to what some people here endure. I don't know if this technique can work for everyone, but at least, it can for sure give a relief!!!

Be cautious, my advice is given 3 hours after this session. But its effects are so damn good that I wanted to let this forum know that some techniques actually work! It is called "chinese medicine". I hope the result will last, but I have to wait a bit before drawing any conclusion.

Keep hope buddys, and just believe it is possible!

• Helpful Helpful x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    22. Cher69
      Fine

Cher69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20/5/2013
      I'm glad you found help - but I must put out therey experience of acupuncture - it wasn't comfortable or relaxing but cold slightly painful but not over so and just over rated ! Didn't work for me and I went for a course of sessions - that said what has helped is self belief and positive thinking - however you find this - needles, meditation, crystals, prayer or whatever if it helps you then you will learn to be strong and deal with timnitus - I don't believe I God but for some people prayer and belief has helped them for others needles and meditation so if it works for you then it's what is right ad proves that we human beings with the power of the mind can conquer anything ......with time xx

23. Codaz

Codaz Member

In fact, I did do and still do a lot of "electricity on my head" to treat my T. TENS electrodes on my facial muscles at my jaw physiotherapist. I forgot the voltages + milliamps. But yes, you feel the muscles contract and loosen in a very very high pace and yes it drops my T dramatically. @Markku might remember what TENS has for voltages and amps.

It's painful yes, but more facial muscular pain = less T on the days afterwards. And a little nap + some tea helps me through the pain.

24. luckyman316

luckyman316 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Before I go ahead with this, just wanted to see who has tried it and if it made any improvement, made anything worse, completely cleared it, etc.

25. Antonio

Antonio Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear fatigue
      Well, just read a few comments above... Yes, it works. However, I must edit my testimony on account of the fact it came back progressively after a few days. But the man was crystal clear: one need more than 1 session to be cured. Anyway, it won't hurt you, and will at least relieve you for a few days.

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. MarioT
      No Mood

MarioT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress + SSRI medication
      tried it... didnt do s**t for my T.

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      All acupunture people can look at a simple chart that says the ears are "connected" to the liver and therefore conclude that T must fall into that catagory , no need to have any experience of treating T .
      Also , acupuncture is a Chinese method , so yes ..its "Chinese Medicine" ;)

Still , glad it worked for you , you might be having sessions with a properly trained person .

28. jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced, Ear Infection, Medication... Who knows?
      I tried it and didn't do anything for my tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 2
    29. Stink

Stink Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2000
      acupuncture is one of the tinnitus "treatments" many people in plight try but most do not benefit from it...too bad

30. Antonio

Antonio Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear fatigue
      Well it depend of the person who does it. The man I met has been practicing around the globe, especially in military camps in Africa, and was educated in Paris, in relation with the university of Beijing, China. He was an occidental nurse before, so he is no springchicken who thinks it's cool to use needles. But beyond the quality of your practitioner, one have to take into account the cause and nature of his tinnitus. Mine is not due to a sound trauma, but to a hear fatigue, through many years of composing music. Before saying that it does not work, I would rather say: it works, but only in certain cases.

• Like Like x 1