Acupuncture for Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by calin, Apr 15, 2012.

1. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
    2. Pass_n_thru

Pass_n_thru Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud sounds
      Hi, I have used acupuncture and am seeing some positive results. I've used two different doctors who treat with acupuncture. The first doctor applies the same few needles each session. I didn't really see any results. The second doctor I tried uses a much more extensive technique which seems to be improving my symptoms.

I am curious if anyone here has had any success with acupuncture?

3. Vera Lisa

Vera Lisa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      wax removal
      I am trying acupuncture .. i had only 2 sessions but i have no results yet... I am also taking some herbs and mushrooms... They say its for the liver... Hope it works!

4. InfiniteLoop
      Relaxed

InfiniteLoop Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss in left ear from head trauma (?)
      @Vera Lisa

Don't waste your time and money on something will not work and can not work. There is no logic or rationale behind it for T.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. G H
      Curious

G H Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Tried it but it did not work for me unfortunately.... :(

6. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I find it moderately helpful, but my tinnitus always rages when my muscle tension / trigger point problems are the worst. And, frankly, the person I see is somewhere between a typical TCM person and a western physiotherapist; she's good about directly needling trigger points in my neck and back, meridians be damned

7. ifilip

ifilip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud sound
      I've tried acupuncture for tinnitus and also for my pollen allergy, but it didn't help for any of them. I strongly think that acupuncture is just a placebo treatment, or is just not useful for these type on conditions. Maybe it's useful for something else.

8. Sasha

Sasha Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/23/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Had vertigo
      Hello! I am a new member and am asking if anyone has used acupuncture to help with neck pain and head pressure.

I have T on for 24hrs then I get relief for 48hrs, then the cycle starts again. I believe the pain is anxiety driven. Any one else experiencing this?

Thank you in advance!
      Sasha

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Bleep

Bleep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      22/03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perhaps stress
      I'm going to try acupuncture today! Let's hope it works.

10. Nics2drescue
      Inspired

Nics2drescue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi guys, looking for some advice. I went to two sessions of acupuncture so far. First session didn't really have any effect on my T except I felt really relaxed. However second session made my T go through the roof! It was the loudest it ever was, so obviously so was my anxiety. Does anyone know why it would get louder and does it go down again?

Nicola

11. binsonica

binsonica Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck treatment
      I started with acupuncture treatments two weeks ago. The first one was a failure. She put the needles on my feet, back, neck and jaw. An hour after the treatment, my whole back and jaw started to ache really bad, I mean reeeally bad (like someone beat me up with billiard balls bad)and it lasted for 4 days! Did nothing for the T.
      With the second treatment she tried another approach and she worked with some other meridian. Needles on my right leg, on my lower belly, under my breasts and one on the throat. Later on, I felt amazing, very calm, happy, positive, like I filled up with some new life energy. I also had some bruising on the skin. Unfortunately, it did nothing for my T. Still having a usual spike. My next appointment is on Friday.

@Nics2drescue Did you inform your therapist about the spike? You have to tell him/her every little detail about how you feel and react. There are a lot of ways of managing your chi and it takes some time to get it right.
      For example, my therapist has to lower the chi away from my head which is quite difficult to to. Once the energy bursts up it doesn't want to come down. When I told my therapist that ginkgo pills worsened my T she knew in which direction to go.
      Maybe your therapist took a wrong approach and amplified the energy in your head.
      Your spike will probably go away very soon. Mine always do :D Just be sure to talk about every single detail about your T with the therapist because it takes time to get the right approach.

• Informative Informative x 1
    12. Voice of jack
      Mellow

Voice of jack Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 29th 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not known but had an ear infection and hearing loss
      Hi all,

I had my first acupuncture treatment today for my tinnitus, I’ve seen this particular practioner before for other stuff but this was the first time for my tinnitus. He also practices Chinese medicine, he is very experienced, I related my story that the tinnitus just appeared on the 29th January this year after taking a history he commenced treatment. He placed needles all over me including the side of my little finger and base of my neck also I had the wax candle treatment on both ears. He said that liver and kidneys play a big part and that if under strain this could be the cause of my tinnitus. The treatment lasted one hour, I had the treatment this afternoon it’s now 20:25 where I am and my tinnitus is still constant with no relief but it’s early days. The more I read and learn about tinnitus the more confused I get and really don’t know where to seek help.
      Thanks for reading my post.

Take care and good luck.

13. Deanmcg

Deanmcg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I saw a great video of acupuncture curing Tinnitus. So I went as well and it did nothing for me. I only had one treatment last week and haven't been back. Its so far away from I live and I don't think it will do much to be honest. But who knows!

14. Voice of jack
      Mellow

Voice of jack Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 29th 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not very encouraging! I have another session booked for Thursday it’s only 6 miles from where I live but expensive. Anyway thank you for the response, I will let the forum know how it goes.

15. Angus

Angus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      shock
      I have found Accupuncture to be a great help with every other problem I have ever had in my life, but sadly after two treatments my tinnitus just became louder - very disappointing! I'm gointo go back and try some more as I can't believe that it won't help eventually. Pity about the cost - though if it did work I would pay anything to stop the high pitched noise. As someone who used to meditate and enjoy total silence, it drives me mad, I can't sleep, my concentration is affected and I'm becoming depressed.

16. Voice of jack
      Mellow

Voice of jack Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 29th 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi all,

I had another session of tradional acupunture yesterday this is my 3 nd session and to be honest last night and this morning my T is more servere high pithed scream. The new tone kept me awake last night I have further sessions booked for next week but I think that I will cancel as it defiantly seems worse. I have only had T since January 29th this year and maybe I am too anxious and looking for a quick fix. I have managed to get an appointment with an ENT consultant on the 20th March so I think I will refrain from any further alternative therapy until I have had the consultation.

Kind regards to you all.

The voice of Jack.

17. Deanmcg

Deanmcg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I went once as I saw video of a certain type of Acupuncture seemed to fix it!

But I went once and it didn't do one little bit. It actually made my arm hurt! So I haven't been back.

18. Nics2drescue
      Inspired

Nics2drescue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Mine was like that too after my 2nd the 3rd session of accupunture. It got worse but mine went down and it's been very low for the past few days. Stop panicking is the main thing. You are so new to T it's a shock to your system. Try and take it easy and try to relax. Worrying and stressing makes T a million times worse and gives it more power. Take the accupunture slowly. It will help considering you are in the early stages of T. You will need to go to a few sessions in order to find its benefits.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    19. Voice of jack
      Mellow

Voice of jack Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 29th 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you you are correct my T only started end of January. So I’m desperate for relief and a cure. I get some relief in sound apps to help sleep. At the moment I use sleeping pills as I don’t think I would sleep without them. I will persist with the acupuncture.
      Thank you all for support it’s so helpful to have a group to turn to.

Kind regards

Jack

20. Tom88

Tom88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      I’m doing acupuncture this Thursday. I am not assuming that it will cure my tinnitus, however I am hoping for some major destressing.

Did you all do specific treatments for tinnitus, or just aimed at reducing stress? I have never done acupuncture, but friends recommended to do so as for one it reliefs her of headaches and for the other it reduces his hay fever.

21. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      I went for acupuncture to stop smoking, many years ago, and it worked. I doubt that it can reduce or eliminate tinnitus, but perhaps it can be applied to reduce stress. Mindfulness Breathing, along with tensing and and relaxation exercises, can help to do this, as well.

22. binsonica

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck treatment
      My therapist told me that acupuncture helps mostly to people who have stress induced tinnitus (mostly businessmen and such). With other kinds of T, the process of healing is very slow and long. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't. But it always helps with getting rid of stress induced by T which is, I would say, better than taking anxiety pills. The main thing is to find the right approach which is very individual for every person. Sometimes only sticking a needle into one's ear helps immediately and sometimes the right meridian has to be poked. But generally there are good results with healing T with acupuncture. The problem is finding a good therapist who has knowledge, and knows how to listen to the patients body. Most of them use the same patterns which usually don't solve anything. The other problem is of course money. If you need to attend 30 or more treatments, that is quite an amount of money which most of us won't give out for something that doesn't guarantee progress. Which I am very curious about...how much money does one treatment cost in your country? Here, it is 35 euros which is around 40 dollars i think.

@Deanmcg My arm always hurts afterwards, whether I had needles in it or didn't, but it goes away withing few hours.

23. Voice of jack
      Mellow

Voice of jack Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 29th 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi,

I have just had my acupuncture treatment today the cost for me was £60 a session, here in the UK. I’ve had 4 sessions now and can’t see any improvement. I don’t know how many you need but I certainly can’t afford 30! My acupuncturist is English but practices traditional Chinese medicine and Chinese acupuncture. He says that the earring is linked to the liver and kidneys, which in my case are under strain which he says is causing the T, who knows? I had needles in my head, feet and fingers along with one in my stomach. I also have an appointment with an ENT consultant on 20th March to get the result of CT scan the MRI was clear. At the moment I use sound therapy on my IPhone to help me sleep and a sleeping pill which I would like to stop but the T is very loud and persistent in night hours.

Kind regards to all.

Jack.

24. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Ouch.....

I never tried this for my tinnitus although so many did even back in 2002. But my husband had a really bad case of trigger finger (your finger is stuck and you cannot straighten it) and in about five sessions it was cured and never came back. Two of his friends had the surgery. Their trigger finger issue was never resolved.

I was thinking of doing it for a chronic pain issue but I SO hate needles. I would have a panic/anxiety attack just going into the office.

25. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      How in the world is inserting needles in skin going to affect a neurological/inner ear condition?

Can someone please inform me on these alternative facts?

upload_2018-3-1_18-30-33.png

26. binsonica

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck treatment
    27. Voice of jack
      Mellow

Voice of jack Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 29th 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you, it is very interesting I now don’t feel as if I’m wasting my money.

Regards.

Jack.

28. Alfredo17
      Batty

Alfredo17 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 yr
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I like to know if anybody with tinnitus have tried acupuncture. And if they got any relief?

29. jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I have tried twice. The first time is when i found some relief for sure (they did full body acupuncture) and about 9 sessions of one hour. The second time i did not find any relief with the acupuncture sessions (the needles where only on my face), and they where 30 minute sessions. I stopped going after 4-5 sessions.

30. hans01
      Artistic

hans01 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress, hearing loss, sinus infections, ... ?

I have to agree that from my own experiences, even though doctors say my T are noise induced as I have moderate hearing loss as a musician from playing in bands over years, my initial high hissing T started in a period when I started to work as freelance and I had major anxiety, or better said fear not to have enough money, and I have had this feeling over 17 years and it's finally getting better now. I have the impression that the feeling of insecurity, gives tension and then gives us T. I'm doing EMDR sessions since a while, and strangely, after those sessions my high hissing T comes down to a more acceptable level. Feelings of worries, stress, anxiety & also anger can really cause a lot of health issues, just ask people with fibromyalgia ... for me it's mostly in our head, probably the best solution is trying yoga and relaxation techniques + working on healthy gut flora, not always easy to do, but probably the only solution.