Advice on Hearing Loss?

Discussion in 'Support' started by john mccluskey, Jun 6, 2017.

1. john mccluskey

john mccluskey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/10.2013
      Hi guys.

I'm looking for some advice on my next step.

I did a test that @Steve sent me (thanks Steve) to check what my hearing loss may be 1 kHz to 16 kHz and I could hear everything really easily.

I've heard that my loss may be higher than this?

I've done 4 audio tests at The Tinnitus Clinic which we're quite thorough, one only last week and I could hear everything ok.

There are many conflicting stories and I'm trying to figure out if I have hearing loss at all.

I've been told that there must be some loss but is it feasible it's way above 16000 and is just caused by stress?

This board has been a great source of information. Any information would be greatly appreciated as I'm thinking about starting TRT in Glasgow in the next 3 weeks but like to gather as much information and tips before I go to appointment.

Many thanks john

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Hearing loss is not always visible on an audiogram. It's often referred to as "hidden hearing loss".
      You could potentially have losses above 16 kHz, but that's a fairly high frequency and it's not uncommon to have losses above that, even for "normal people".

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      john mccluskey

john mccluskey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/10.2013
      Thanks Greg. If there is loss above 16000 then would there be any point trying audio therapy ?

4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      • Like Like x 1
    5. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      The therapy depends on your T frequency, not on where your losses are. They are generally correlated, but not always exactly. Try to find out what your T frequency is, and if you have enough hearing in that area, then you are probably a good candidate for sound therapy.