Advice on Sleeping

Discussion in 'Support' started by Steve willo, Feb 22, 2015.

tinnitus forum
    1. Steve willo

Steve willo Member

Hi I've had tinnitus in left ear for a month.

I have tried masking it out with other sounds but just Carnt sleep. I keep waking up every 30 mins. And I'm so tired now it's unreal

Is there anything you can take. Which won't increase the volume of the t. The only problem is. When I lie down. It seems to start tempory t off in my right ear as well

Thanks

2. Rube
      Fine

Rube Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      @Steve willo When I first got it was the same way with sleep. I started taking sleepy time tea or chamomile tea from celestial seasonings tea along with a 3mg melatonin tablet. I slept decently, I would get like 3 or 4 hours, wake up and then fall back asleep. That only lasted about a month, I sleep fine now without anything. Hope that helps!

• Like Like x 1
    3. Vincent R
      Inspired

Vincent R Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
    4. uncle vikin
      Musical

uncle vikin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Subjective tinnitus r ear cause ( unknown)
      You will have to find out what works for you .I went back to melatonin 3mg sr it seems to help me sleep but I do sometimes vary I may sleep 3,2,3 or 5,3 ect or 8 straight depends on the night but you will after awhile start to sleep better.Try some things out and see what works for you.

5. Steve willo

Steve willo Member

Thanks. It's a nightmare I just wish it would go already

6. Mark K.
      Happy

Mark K. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure. May have been from medication
      Hey Steve:
      You WILL get better sleep as the weeks go by. As the other posts suggest, you'll need to experiment a little and try to find the right Sound to help you sleep, or right process prior to sleep (ie. Melatonin, Sleepy Time Tea, Etc.). These all should help. Right now your nervous system is in hyper mode, and your anxiety levels are probably very high. This is also contributing to you not being able to sleep. You need to bring your anxiety levels down as well, Time and different therapy techniques will bring your Anxiety levels down. But for now, try to find a sound that will help mask the ringing. If you have a high pitch ringing, then sounds of crickets usually work. If it's a hissing sound, then white noise usually works. Check Youtube or try some of the sounds on this site. Of course every person is different on what works for them, but I know you'll find what works for you. I've had tinnitus for 3 months (going on 4) and my first month I was just like you, I was waking up every 30 minutes. Eventually, I found that white noise or crickets helped me sleep better at night. You also may want to take the Melatonin or Sleepy Time Tea also. You will find what works for you. Trust me, the sleep will get better.

• Agree Agree x 2
    7. Yohann
      Balanced

Yohann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise probably
      @Steve willo , I take an infusion of valerian roots before bedtime. It stink a bit, but it help me to sleep better (at least 5 or 6hours). Before that, it was a pill of atarax at bedtime on bad days. I've stopped that, i don't know long-time side effects (and I felt groggy much of the day after)...

• Like Like x 1
    8. Mark K.
      Happy

Mark K. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure. May have been from medication
      Steve:
      One last suggestion, Try not to take prescription Sleeping Pills if all possible. Most doctors will automatically prescribe sleeping pills for you, without explaining the adverse side effects they can cause. Try to sleep naturally with no prescription sleeping pills. You will find that you can get at least 5 to 6 hours initially on your own. The Sleeping Pills are tempting since they are a quick fix, however in the long run, it may do more damage than good. If you need to take anything, Melatonin, or even over the counter sleep aids such as Nyquil Sleep, or Tylenol PM which are not addictive and really have no bad side effects. But as always, use your best judgment and ask if you have any questions or concerns.

• Agree Agree x 2
    9. Steve willo

Steve willo Member

Do you find you are coping with it it after a few months. Do you have it bad or medium. Driveing me mad

10. labrat10687

labrat10687 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Was in the same situation as you many years ago. Tried many things but what worked for me was a low dose of Amitriptyline(Elavil)and I noticed a marked improvement in very little time. Read up on it to start out with. Just my 2 cents worth. Hope this helps.http://www.drugs.com/answers/effective-amitriptyline-sleep-618122.html

• Like Like x 1
    11. Steve willo

Steve willo Member

Thanks for your advice. Do people find it gets easier to Foget its there over time. I've had it about 5 weeks now and it's getting harder for me Thanks for everybody's response

12. Rube
      Fine

Rube Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      @Steve willo it will get easier and you will habituate. its a natural process and different for everyone, you can help it along by using @I who love music back to silence method.
      It's a long thread now but worth reading and trying this method.
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/back-to-silence.7172/page-10#post-95983
      Who knows, you have t such a short time you may just wake up one morning and it will be gone!

13. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Steve,

I agree with the others' comments about sleep, and about the fact that it WILL get better with time. Every person with tinnitus is different, so there is no specific time line. But please realize that you are in the worst phase (the beginning phase) right now, and things will begin to improve as your mind and body get used to the tinnitus. Try to find ways to get some sleep, and to distract yourself any way you can. I am now at the point that I can sleep without any background sounds in my bedroom, and I know what works best for me. Experiment and try different supplements and conditions until you find a formula that works for you.

I use magnesium chloride tablets about 1 hour before bedtime, and sometimes I use melatonin or a Chinese herbal remedy, called An Shen Bu Xin Wan, that helps a bit with both tinnitus and sleep.

Good luck, and keep us posted on how you're doing!

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    14. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      In a nutshell -
      Stop describing your T sounds.
      Start describing your feelings about T.

15. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      Try some Sleepy Time Extra Tea--it has valerian root in it and really helps relax you. I do relaxation exercises, deep breathing and meditations for my anxiety. I also take Xanax which helps me as I was very anxious even before my tinnitus onset. I tried sleeping pills during the second month for about a week but they really didn't help much--I'd wake up after only a few hours and I felt drugged in the morning. You are in the worst phase--it will get better. I sleep 7-8 hours a night now. For months I would use my iPod with an audio book--I still do on bothersome nights. I still wake up a few times a night but I think that's an age thing...I'm in my 16th month and doing much better--my life is back to nearly normal--more so than I ever thought possible in the beginning. Hang in there and give it time. I know that is difficult but habituation is a natural process. The members here helped me through the worst of it and we are here for you. Like others suggested, find a masking noise that helps you at night. If you find yourself thinking about your tinnitus all day, try partial masking--there are good sounds on this site on the home page.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. dochoppy
      No Mood

dochoppy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure, drug combo?
      Sleeping at night with tinnitus is an adventure to say the least, thats the way I think of it anymore, I really never know how I will sleep from night to night so its always a surprise, most night I sleep with my general hearing instrument pink noise generators in all night, sometimes I will sleep without them and just put them in if I wake up, I also take a melotonin and unisom both before bed, sometimes if I wake up and my T is really bad in the middle of the night I will take a klonopin to help me finish off the night, what an adventure it is!

17. Mark Beehre
      Facebooking

Mark Beehre Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2008 // 11/2014
      Steve, having been down this path recently, I can tell you that it does get better. Right now your emotional response is interfering with your sleep. Once you have had T for a long enough time your emotional response will decrease and sleep will come. I am almost 5 months since relapse. I still don't sleep everynight but I do most nights, e.g. in February I have slept everynight but 1 and had probably around 8 or 9 nights where I had difficulty getting off to sleep and only got 4 - 6 hours. When I fully habituated the first time I never had problem sleeping.

So my advice is to accept that you may have difficulty sleeping and that it is perfectly normal and that it will get better. If you stop stressing about sleep you will no longer fear not getting it, then it will come, even with super loud tinnitus. :)

18. Lorenzo74
      Mellow

Lorenzo74 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      In the beginning I had major sleep problems and could never fall asleep again once I was up as I was constantly trying to forget about the sound in my head…

Then I changed my attitude and started "embracing" the sound in those sleepless times instead of fighting it and I found out that with time I learnt to "accept" it and started to care less about it and eventually I was able to fall asleep again.. I guess it was a mixture of acceptance and time…

Hope it helps… Ciao !

• Agree Agree x 2
    19. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      I'm thinking of taking magnesium--can you tell me what kind to take? I'm doing a very slow taper off Xanax. I may have to go back on it-- but I think it is putting tiny holes in my memory, even at the low dose I take. I'd appreciate your guidance.

I tried melatonin but it didn't work for me and made me feel drugged in the morning. I took only 1 mg.

Hugs.

20. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loss of hearing and then stress and anxiety
      Clonazepam worked for me. I know a lot of people shy away from taking medicine, but if you truly are at the point where it is interfering with your sleep it will work. I have tried taking 1/2 tablet of a .5mg dose and not only does it make you care less about the sound, sometimes it reduces the volume, but it tires your body and makes you very sleepy. It also removes stress from your body and for me it also makes the T less loud the next day.
      1/2 a .5mg tablet is a very low dose and its the lowest dose thats worked for me to help me sleep.
      If you dont find something that works, being more tired will only make your situation worst. I dont recommend this as a long term solution as you can read and these drugs can be addictive, but if you are experiencing something temporary it will help a lot.

21. labrat10687

labrat10687 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Steve willo, Very good info in all the posts from people who have been there.

• Like Like x 1
    22. geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure + Antibiotics
      When I first got T it was a struggle. Then I just thought, if I don't sleep so well tonight I'll sleep better the next, and tried not to stress out about it. I was getting regular sleep after a couple of months.

Recently it's got worse and I'm back to square one, but I'm hoping I can get through it like last time. Have H too now which is much harder to deal with as any masking sounds make T louder.

23. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      @Kathi

Magnesium chloride tablets work well for me, because the magnesium in this form is easily absorbed, and does not cause any bowel distress. The brand I use is ALTA Magnesium Chloride tablets, available online (Swansons, Amazon, and various other online sites). It is very calming, and helps you drift off to sleep naturally.

I wish you success in weaning off the Xanax, and hope this will be helpful to you.

• Like Like x 2
    24. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      Thanks @Karen --I'm going to give it a try. I have some magnesium chloride tablets that I bought my husband for leg cramps. It's 250 mg. We'll see if it helps me--we are all so different in our tinnitus. I've cut my Xanax in half for two weeks now--except at night. My doc wants me to stay on Xanax but like I said--it's causing me to have holes in my memory--just little things but it is worrisome to me. I have another doc appointment in a month but I really want to try to get this way down--just on an as needed basis.

Hugs to you my friend for always being there for us.

• Like Like x 1
    25. Steve willo

Steve willo Member

Yes thanks guys, I have been sleeping a little bit better I have been putting films on my phone and just listening to it and after about 20 mins I can fall asleep. I've only been waking up 2x now. Rather than 10-15. So much improved

I hope I might be lucky and it might go. As I've only had it. 5-6 weeks. people who suffer with this for years are very strong people. Because. This 6 weeks have been pure hell but with time I'm hoping the brain will just Foget the sound even exists.

26. NiNyu

NiNyu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma? stress?
      Won't happen. If T stays your brain will never forget it. It's worse than HIV, no cure. No breaks. No meds. So either you embrace the noise or.. well you know.

27. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids
      @Steve willo @NiNyu
      Steve
      Hang in there, T can subside. It did for a buddy of mine (after 5 months). Either way, you will adjust and you will start sleeping better.

Mark

28. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Something that is bizarre to me is that even when my T is driving me nuts throughout most of the day, the second I lie down in bed next to my wife with our cat, I relax... even though this issue is, by far, my #1 complaint with regard to my overall happiness, I haven't actually lost sleep over it since the first couple weeks after I made the ringing worse with an acoustic trauma in 2009.

So, it absolutely is possible to have high pitched, irritating tinnitus and not have sleep problems as a result. You'll all get there in time, I am confident!

• Like Like x 1
    29. NiNyu

NiNyu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma? stress?
      That's the locust symptom.

30. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      what's the "locust symptom"? Sorry, I don't understand what you mean.