Afraid of Flying — My Tinnitus Is Probably TMJ Related

Discussion in 'Support' started by BeautifulBlue, Jun 2, 2017.

1. BeautifulBlue

BeautifulBlue Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probably poor posture + bruxism
      Hi,

I have to fly in a few weeks and I am very worried. It is almost certain (but not 100%) that my tinnitus has nothing to do with my hearing but it is due to Neck/Jaw problems, including bruxism. Is this enough for me not to worry about it getting worse as a consequence of a long flight? I know pressure changes can cause very serious damage and I am very, very worried. I am not sure I can do anything to prevent it, as noise protection won't do anything for me.

Anyone who had positive experiences and can share tips? Am I just being paranoid?

Thank you!

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Equalize your middle ear pressure regularly (through swallowing or yawning for example) to minimize the pressure differential that your ear drum (and the whole chain downstream from it) has to deal with.
      That's no different from what you'd do if you didn't have T anyways.
      I wouldn't worry about it.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      BeautifulBlue

BeautifulBlue Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probably poor posture + bruxism
      Thanks @GregCA , I really hope you're right :)

4. racerfish
      No Mood

racerfish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / T worsened with antiobiotics
      My tinnitus is from acoustic trauma and antibiotics. I fly frequently and have never had issues. I just use foam earplugs and am fine.

• Like Like x 1
    5. NimQ
      Alienated

NimQ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2011, got worse 09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      You could use Earplanes, they supposedly help your ears to balance the pressure. I don't have personal experience of them, since I have not flown after my tinnitus became more of a problem. Even when you are not worried about the actual loudness of the flight, I would recommend (anyone, really) to use some form of protection during take-off and landing. It depends on the plane and where you are seated, but sometimes the decibels can rise surprisingly high. The EarPlanes alone offer -15 dB or something, so that could be enough for you.

Anyway, I would not worry since there is no evidence flying would cause any difficulties to you. You haven't had problems with eustachian tubes and you tell your ears are not sensitive to noise. Enjoy your trip!

6. alleycat

alleycat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ
      Hi Sara,

How did your flight go? I am traveling to Hawaii a week from this sunday, my tinnitus is due to my TMJ. I currently have a mouth splint to reposition my jaw and have very slowly noticed the tinnitus get better. I'm afraid flying will hurt my progress. Did you have any issues?