Afraid of Going to Sleep

Discussion in 'Support' started by Amy, Oct 3, 2014.

tinnitus forum
    1. Amy
      Tired

Amy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      How do you guys deal with T-related insomnia? The past few weeks for me have been bad, with very few nights of good sleep. If I take medication it sometimes helps, but not always. The T is screaming over my usual masking methods, which have worked well in the past.

At this point the anxiety around trying to sleep is probably making my T worse. But I don't know what to do...you have to try and sleep, you know? But nothing helps anymore, and I'm feeling totally hopeless.

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Hi Amy,

Oddly enough, I'm the opposite...I am scared to face the day. The night, I get a break from the hell as I can not hear T in my sleep (hope you are the same) I have the mindset that I will soon get relief, this helps me relax and fall asleep. I think things like...you can scream all you want tonight, you will be gone as soon as I go to sleep, you can't touch me then!

Maybe give it a shot, it's worth a try anyway. It really helps me. I don't use any meds for sleep anymore.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    3. jimH
      No Mood

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Feeling "totally hopeless" tells me that you need help NOW! When I was experiencing the same thing, I had to go on an antidepressant plus take 3mg of Melatonin about an hour before bed time. The combination of the two I was able to sleep through the night again. Talk to your doctor about it. They might prescribe a sleeping aid in addition to an AD. Remember that anxiety exacerbates our T condition and just makes it worse.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. undecided
      Fine

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      It seems to me that reducing your anxiety is the key for better sleep.
      Therefore maybe you should try some medication that do not target sleep but rather anxiety.
      Or maybe you could try some extended-release sleeping aid like Ambieb/Stilnox-CR. These help maintain sleep, not just induce it.

Or go for some really hardcore shit like Seroquel @ 25mg.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor Team Tech

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      • Like Like x 1
    6. Jeff M.
      Cowabunga

Jeff M. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      Hey @Amy , I know EXACTLY what you are going through!! :nailbiting: It sucks! It's a vicious circle, the lack of sleep weakens your spirit and your mind's ability to deal with T and with life in general. Then that creates fear of not being able to sleep, anxiety, which paired with loud T, make you not sleep!! :blackeye::confused::mad: It's maddening, I know!

BUT, it's not impossible to overcome!! Just as has already been shared, you need to get stabilized ASAP!! The beginning of that process is in fact SLEEP! Consult your doctor, and be completely honest about your anxiety and your inability to get proper sleep. If you are not satisfied with what they have to tell you, ask for a referral to a psych. I am not a big meds guy, but when I was where you are now, they saved me!! Get a scrip for something that gets you to sleep, without turning you into a zombie. You may have to try a few different ones until you find what works.

In addition to getting on the proper med, try other methods like deep breathing exercises, get out and exercise and get your body and mind naturally tired, try different masking methods, a cup of hot sleepytime tea before bed, etc... Get calm, centered and stabilized. You can do it!! I, and many others here on TT, can testify that we got through it and you will to!!! (y)

Wishing you relief, calm, and rest soon!!! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    7. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      Same for me. Night is my relief. The day is much worse to handle with 14-15 kHz in my head.
      Ask for Remeron. It is an AD and makes you tired. I have no side effects.

8. Amy
      Tired

Amy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I can usually handle my T during the day, honestly - I'm at work now, and I can hear it at the same pitch and frequency that keeps me up at night. It just doesn't seem so bad during the day. And I sometimes listen to violet noise to drown it out.

But yeah, I've been taking trazodone on and off to help me sleep, exercising, doing yoga, etc. Work stress is surely aggravating this and I'm hoping that once that ends, so too will the sleeping problems. Luckily I have a good therapist and GP if this gets worse...but maybe it's time to investigate anti-anxiety meds.

@Sound Wave, thanks for linking back to that post. I've been trying to do those things but after three or four nights of 2-4 hours sleep, it gets hard to remember. I'll bookmark that for future use when I'm feeling overwhelmed. :)

9. MikeA
      Curious

MikeA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Yes it is very likely your anxiety and lack of sleep is making perceived T worse. No one wants to be dependent on meds but at times they are needed. Think of them as a bridge to get you where you are going. Just having something on your nightstand that you know will give you sleep can reduce anxiety. Use then occasionally as needed as you work on habituation. Good that you see a therapist. Also look closely at your sleep hygiene. OTC aids like magnesium, valerian root, melatonin, and even calming teas can really help. I believe many would agree that perceiving small gains over time is a key to adjusting to onsets or spikes in T.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      @Amy, maybe you should get a short term prescription for an anti anxiety med and also try some relaxation/deep breathing exercises right before bed time. I listen to Yasmine Buraik. Her podcasts are free on iTunes. If you don't have iTunes, here is a link. I really like Autogenic Relaxation, Progressive Relaxation and the Relaxation Room.

https://sites.google.com/site/yasmineburaik1/

11. Amy
      Tired

Amy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      For the folks who've taken anti-anxiety meds or anti-depressants: what was the process of tapering off like once you got your T under control? I'm sort of worried about that. Definitely going to try the other stuff, though - I got a bottle of magnesium a while back but hadn't tried it. Now seems like a good time!

12. pef

pef Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/16/2013

Tellis, I know you have had a rough time with your T, but if you now able to sleep without meds, and you are able to relax and fall asleep, you have a couple of big, big victories under your belt!

I read your post and I thought "GOOD FOR TELLIS!"

I know T sucks, but take your victories and run with them.

• Hug Hug x 1
    13. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member Ambassador Team Tech

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      The antidepressants and anxiety meds can really help if they're monitored by a responsible doctor and who knows how long you can be on stuff for.
      I know for me melatonin helps too. Though I must admit a flexeril now and then knocks me out...though that's a muscle relaxant but very related to old tricyclics .

14. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member Ambassador Team Tech

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      Does anyone else hear fall asleep with the TV on? I Do that every night and it's cause I don't want to go to bed and face the T / quiet .

15. jimH
      No Mood

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      As for tapering off, I did not experience any thing unpleasant. My doctor cut my dosage in half for two weeks, then reduced that dosage in half for another two weeks. Then I completely stopped taking it and felt absolutely no effect at all. Don't let your anxiety/fear of coming off an AD worry you at all. Just do it gradually and you'll be just fine

16. aleks90

aleks90 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I have it like that sometimes( often before). I was always afraid of going to bed, because I knew I would lie there hour after hour. It totally ruined my cycle and sometimes I just gave up because it made me so miserable. I just stayed up until it made me so tired I just collapsed from being tired. This got me extremely depressed.

One day I just said "fuck it" I don't care anymore. I'm going to lay in bed at the same time each day regardless of how afraid I am.

This is what I did:

• lights partly off two hours before bedtime.
      • no caffeine after 5 pm
      • exercise daily but never later than 3 hours before bed.
      • drink chamomile tea with no caffeine.
      • bedroom should be bedroom, no computer, mobile etc. Never lay in bed during the day and have the temperature cool.
      • a masking that fits you, not too loud but something thats always the same so your brain thinks of sleep when you go to bed.
      • take a shower before bed to relax.
      • do not do any heavy thinking before bed, no chess, no puzzles etc, just wind down.
      • and the most important thing is making this a habit.
      This is not specific to T, but sleep in general. This really helped me, and when I have a good mood and a good habit even if the T is high that evening I don't mind too much, because I'm tired anyway and I don't stress about it.

Yes sometimes I fall of, and I get stressed and feel bad, but I know that this helps. You just have to climb back on the horse. I've had a bad period lately but this really helps. Just remember that there are people with stronger T than us that can sleep totally fine. that means that it is possible!

edit: I also used melatonin when my cycle was way off, it helps getting things started!

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    17. aleks90

aleks90 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I did before, if you can make a habit of it and don't watch anything too exciting it can work. I remember I used to watch boring documentaries or shows that I found boring hehe.

One friend of mine with no T, can't sleep without having reruns of simpsons on. It's all about the habit : )

• Like Like x 1
    18. MikeA
      Curious

MikeA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Personally I'm not fond of this method. Light from television violates the dark element of cool, dark, and quiet (OK the quiet part is out for us) central to good sleep hygiene. You'd be better off with low volume sounds of nature in the room IMO.