After 15 Years My Tinnitus Has Got Worse — Now I Hear It During the Daytime

Discussion in 'Support' started by NebulaNeko, Jan 23, 2020.

1. NebulaNeko

NebulaNeko Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burst Eardrum and hearing loss as a result
      Hi,

whilst I’m new to Tinnitus Talk I’ve lived with tinnitus for a long time after stupidly creating a vacuum in my ear in the bath and bursting my eardrum; causing significant hearing loss.

I used to find my tinnitus comforting after getting used to it but now I find myself crying and anxious after I was lying in bed trying to sleep two nights ago and I heard a new pitch and it became louder. A new layer of it. I can now hear it during the day when I used to be able to forget about it and I’m crying all the time.

I have a 3 year old and 18 month old and it’s difficult to sleep as the little one is up throughout the night still and noisy daytimes now do not drown out the sound.

Has anyone experienced anything similar and do I have any hope that this new layer is temporary?? We’ve all had a horrible virus as well and I guess my sinuses are still dealing with the end of it.

Thank you for reading if you got this far x

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. El BUZZ
      Buzzed

El BUZZ Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      First of all: Don't worry.

Second: Welcome to Tinnitus Talk.

To me, the increase in the perception of your tinnitus is mostly due to that virus you mention or the stress/lack of sleep you're going through because of your 18 months old baby.

It's very easy to fall in an overmonitorizing spiral when you hear your tinnitus during daytime. That makes you enter in a stress mode as you are focused on the sound and trying to see if the sounds which used to drown your tinnitus still doing it.

Relax, try to have a good rest, let your body get recovered from that virus and everything will be ok. Be patient.

3. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      Sorry to hear you’re having a tough time - it may be that your ears have fluid in them, are congested. Once the congestion clears the new sound may fade. I’ve had new sounds coming and going over the years, some after quite some time.

Take care of your ears around noise and sleep - number one priority. x

4. MRItechssuck
      Disappointed

MRItechssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe 10/17/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise, MRI
      Really all you can do is be smart and protect your ears when in noisy environments... and see how this develops. Why worry... that won’t change the outcome.

Good luck.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. LongWait

LongWait Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Concert
      Sorry but if you find your tinnitus comforting, this is the wrong forum. Hope you are ok.

6. LukeYoung
      Frantic

LukeYoung Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud Concert - Noise Exposure
      Hope you are okay.

Lack of sleep, stress... this all doesn’t help your emotional reaction to it.

I just came out of a 2 week long spike. Was loud as hell. I couldn’t deal with it.

But it went away. And back down to “baseline”.

Maybe you’re just having a spike.
      Have you been exposed to any loud noise?
      Just remember to protect, even with the little ones. I’m sure children can cry and scream really loud. Have a pair of muffs when kids are getting too loud.

7. MichaelSF

MichaelSF Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress, Anxiety,
      Like me maybe you had habituated, however stress, anxiety, and lack of sleep which is what I have been going though the past two weeks can make the perception of it worse. And having two little kids, bless your heart, I bet is a lot of stress and work for you.

When I use to work out I remember being it so loud but I didn’t care, but now I care even when it may seem low. And because of that, it’s front of my eyes all the time. You’re just focused in it, and its making it worse as you think about it and look for it. You can try to habituate to it like As I am trying to but its been tough for me. Give it some time, if you’re feeling still worse I would call your doctor to get your psychological well being right.