After Doing So Well, Struggling Big Time Again

Discussion in 'Support' started by geg1992, Jul 2, 2015.

1. geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure + Antibiotics
      As I'm sure many are aware now, and I'm sorry for ranting so much, but I lost my girlfriend of 2 and a half years, the person who I thought would get me through this and stand by my side. I was extremely upset at first but then I started to see the brighter side and I actually felt so much better over the last 2 or 3 weeks or so.

I've gone to the cinema, been out twice and was going to go to an outdoor festival on Sunday. But, over the last week, my T has been getting worse. It's got much higher in pitch and it sounds like the noise is being played through a fan, I don't know how else to explain it, but it flutters a lot which makes it hard to deal with. It's really getting me down and I'm scared I've caused more damage.

I've also convinced my self I've got a back problem (can't remember the name but is abbreviated A.S?) And to treat this you need to take drugs such as iburprofen which makes T worse over a period of time!

My only glimmer of hope is that my Eustachian tubes feel quite blocked up, like when you go on a plane and they pop and crackle. I'm hoping I may just have a bit of fluid or a head cold which may clear up, but I don't have any cold/flu symptoms either! Could this be the cause of the increase and it may just go away when my tubes clear up?

Sorry to rant so much, it just feels like my life has fallen apart over the last 6 months, and every positive step I take, I get knocked back down again twice as hard.

I'm worried I may have caused damage by going out. I do monitor the levels and it averages 80-85 so I don't wear ear plugs. But last week I was talking to a girl in a louder part of the bar so was exposed to 90dbish for about 20 mins, I then convinced her to go to a quieter part with me. Luckily the bar downstairs was busy so it was a good excuse!

Thanks for any help. It's very much appreciated.

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      This still hasn't gone away - my ears are still feeling blocked and full, and keep cracking and popping like in an airplane. The ringing got really bad today and made me really distressed. I'm really scared. How am I supposed to know if it's just a spike or a permanent increase? :( I was living normally again but now struggling again.

3. Evian

Evian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      I'm new round here although have been enduring the T for 6 months, but the first three I naively thought it would go as didn't really understand what it was ( so much for the wisdom of years ! I'm 59 )

The one thing I have learnt from myself and all my reading is that panic seems to be a big enemy of T - I know as I'm doing IT all the time at the moment.

You will probably find that you are panicking about your changes and that is making things worse.

From my unexperienced view point it seems that if you got to a good point as little as three weeks ago you should get there again. I think it is very natural to keep worrying that what we are doing is making it worse.

I did something today and am sure I have made it worse, it seems to go with the territory, the board is littered with those kind of queries.

T in this chronic form seems to have a life of its own, which makes us want to put our life on hold. You got past that point once so should be able to do so again, here's hoping for you.

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for the input :) I certainly know about the anxiety/panic relation to tinnitus! Unfortunately this doesn't appear to be the case for this increase. Most of the time I don't panic about it, it's just the occasional time like now. I've just been thinking 'oh it will go down soon' but it hasn't. I'm hoping that it's linked to my ears being blocked up and that I may have a slight cold or something (although I have no other symptoms).

Hope you're doing well!

5. Evian

Evian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Your welcome, I didn't want to read and run.

It maybe as I think ETD can all be linked in with T, but we all react differently to things, I would try and let it clear in its own before getting nose sprays etc

At present I have about 6 or 7 ways I could have got my T, which seems ridiculous and also doesn't really matter

Maybe if it does change in 2 or 3 days conukt a medic if you have one you have faith in

• Like Like x 1
    6. I also hate being stuck in loud situations. I went to a social group thing at a local distillery for a tour and they had us in a small waiting area where everyone was talking and the sound echo'd and made everything seem very loud. I was about to leave when they finally started the tour. I'm sure that day may have done some damage. I think we have to forgive ourselves though, that's life, we can't help but find ourselves in noisy places now and then in today's society unless you become a hermit. We're not to blame, we are living normal lives, and we have no way to know how loud a place will be until we are there.