Air Escaping My Ear?

Discussion in 'Support' started by derpytia, Mar 21, 2016.

1. derpytia
      Pooptoast

derpytia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014 (many increases since then)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Progressive hearing loss / noise / ETD
      To start this off, no I don't have a ruptured eardrum (I would be in pain and I'd know, trust me).

But every day this weird thing happens once a day either in my right or left ear, mostly when I'm laying down, where there's just this moment of what sounds like air leaving my ear (more specifically my eustachian tubes) but there's no sensation that goes with it at all. It literally sounds like like a soft, quick release of air leaving my ears. It doesn't affect my T but I'm kinda wondering what the heck it is... I'm stumped.

2. Reinier
      Not amused

Reinier Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explosion starting engine
      I would Imagen it is just that. Only a sound similar to the sound of escaping air. Air is not escaping from your middle ear. Just the sound.

3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      It will be your eustachian tubes equalizing the pressure ....nothing to worry about....lots of love glynis x

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      derpytia
      Pooptoast

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Oh great now I'm worried it's another weird tone thing. My brain and ears need to pipe tf down lol

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Reinier
      Not amused

Reinier Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explosion starting engine
      If it is constant I would Imagen it not being air.
      New sounds come and sounds go hopefully. Could it be, you can hear your blood running through veins?
      By the way: I only have experienced tinnitus for 10 months. There are people on this forum that are much more experienced (-; Actually that shouldn't be a smiley )-;
      I just figured it unlikely being air. That's all.

6. Owen
      Disappointed

Owen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unclear. Inflammatory allergic reaction/AIED
      As it is a one off, short noise, I think there is a chance it is air being released. I have all sorts of weird problems relating to ETD, sometimes autophony, sometimes a sensation that a pipe has physically opened and also as if a liquid is draining inside my head + others. I have had the usual tests and all comes back normal though - even though, it is anything but normal and these are new sounds that I never used to hear before T and are not just present because I am more aware of my hearing.

Mine does have a sensation attached to it though and other people can hear a change in my voice when I can feel them pop open. All very odd!

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      derpytia
      Pooptoast

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That would make sense. My ETD does all sorts of weird things to my ears. Even if I don't have a cold or anything, if I sleep on one side, the ear facing down seems to almost "fill up" overnight and when I wake up and sit upright, that sensation goes away. Or if I eat a tad too much sugar or salt, the tubes get slightly inflamed and then the pressure regulation gets messed up for a while. Sleeping always seems to be a reset for my tubes either way.

• Informative Informative x 1
    8. Poyraz

Poyraz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzos, Stress, Anxiety, Loud Music, Jaw Problems. Who knows
      My T sounda like my ear is escaping air. It ia not tonal. I'm sure it is related to my ET however the ENTs I have seen reported nothing about my T. But I remember the first doctor warned me that I have possible allergies to smells like perfumes since my inner noise looks so white-ish. I really wonder if my T is related to my ET.

9. Hil

Hil Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      @derpytia I have this, too. It's when I wake up in the morning, and there's a whoosh noise like air is moving in my middle ear.

10. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I have it too. Pretty sure it got something to do with my tensor tympani syndrome.

11. Nonna
      Moonlighting

Nonna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/17/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      guess
      Had that air escaping sensation 3 times in the 3months I've had t. The first time I felt the air blowing out of my silent ear. The last time the air stayed trapped behind my eardrum in my loud ear.