Air Sounds in My Ear

Discussion in 'Support' started by Anonymous, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Anonymous
      Panicky

Anonymous Member

Tinnitus Since:
      None
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      None
      I know this isn't really Tinnitus but. Whenever I'm wearing headphones or in a quiet place, Whenever I swallow or yawn I hear air going through my right ear. It's kind of worrying me I think I might have a problem with my ear. Anyone know what's wrong?

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      It could be an eustachian tube problem.
      love glynis

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      • Like Like x 1
    4. kiel
      Depressed

kiel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Headphones
      I don't think this is from TTTS. I have it, an it's a sort of rumbling sensation in your ear. OP is saying they're hearing their breathing in their ear. That could really only be one thing:
      https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patulous_Eustachian_tube

Sounds like a minor form of Patulous Eustachian Tube, @Anonymous . I have exactly what you describe in my left ear, although it's much worse when it happens in the right ear. In my left ear I can only hear my breathing, but in my right ear? I can hear that (only louder) and my voice. It is unspeakably awful when it happens. You should try to avoid Decongestants of any kind, and you can try laying down or bending over to temporarily relieve this. Not much else can really be done, sadly.

5. lena_

lena_ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      are you sick/have cold/maybe an ear infection? maybe check that out with your ent? do you have allergies?

it was my first t sound, but i was sick and had an ear infection when it happened and had allergies too...it went away after 2 months or so...now i still have t in one ear only, but it is a bit different..
      i use steroid nasal spray and have allergies as well - but it is something you have to see with your doctor.

& do not use headphones anymore& avoid loud noise enviroments for this period of time at least until your ears settle down.

i'd start taking some good quality ginko biloba just in case and maybe a bit of magnesium, b12 if you are a vegetarian (well you know your diet, so according to that, if you think you lack any..), get a good sleep regularly, your ears will most most probably heal from this thing.

once again- stop using headphones! this is really important right now

good luck!

6. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Eustachian tube dysfunction seems most likely here. So what if you don't wear your headphones or you are in a loud place, do you not hear this? Have you done any hearing tests?

7. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I agree that it is TTTS but I'm not entirely sure that this type sound is coming from the ET. I have sounds coming from my tubes opening whenever I swallow, yawn or move my my jaws in a certain way for example (I can manually open and close the tube by moving my jaw). But the sound that my tensor tympani makes when it spasms in response to sound is different and resembles much more what OP describes as "air going through the ear". The sounds my TT muscle makes and the sounds my ET makes can happen simultaneously too, for example when I yawn. I also feel that these sensations are coming from different places in the ear.

8. dingaling
      Asleep

dingaling Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, probably loud music
      3 possibilities:

1) Eardrum perforation

2) Normal opening/closing action of the Eustachian tube

3) Nothing wrong at all and your hearing is just super-sensitive

When you wear headphones, internal noises are amplified and it could be these you are hearing?

9. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
    10. kiel
      Depressed

kiel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Headphones
      I really think you guys are steering OP wrong here. He is experiencing "Autophony", or self-generated sounds. That isn't caused by TTTS. It 's also not caused by standard Eustachian Tube Dysfunction AFAIK. It's generally caused by Patulous Tubes, or "PET"(tubes that remain intermittently open for longer than they should) and results in one hearing one's breathing or even their own voice in their ear. I would suspect PET specifically because OP says it happens when he swallows (thus opening his Tubes), which is what happens with me as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. CrystalB

CrystalB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I know I have ETD, and my ENT suggested that I can try to pop my ears to help with the feeling full.
      In my left ear it pops and crack a lot just by moving my jaw, and my right ear feels somewhat full and when I go to try to pop it, I hear like wind but it won’t pop like my left.
      What causes that?

12. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @kiel From the link that I provided above, start reading from a sub title "The mechanism of sound attenuation and amplification". This subject matter starts about 20% down in article that be judged by using the side bar. This discussion continues well down into the article. We may be thinking on certain lines as stated in the article that it's unlikely that the tensor tympani controls the E.T.

@CrystalB The jaw, often due to extension causes trauma. Clenching of teeth can happen before trauma or afterwards. The jaw relates so much to tinnitus including the ears.

• Like Like x 1