Airplane (Contact Noise) Question (Recent Trip Caused a Worsening of Tinnitus)

Discussion in 'Support' started by Rinz, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Rinz

Rinz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      Hi Everyone,

Just a short introduction, because I am new to this forum (please skip to second part if you wanna read the question only). My name is Rinz. I have T. since 2000 (so 17 years now) most likely because I was exposed to loud music by playing in a band and going to clubs and such. Over the years, I have learnt to live with it, and I wasn't suffering for most of the time. After 2000, I generally wore earplugs (Elacin ER25) when I go to loud places (although I don't go to these places anymore since couple of years). Occasionally, I have had some bad periods (spikes), but I could always cope with it. However, recently I have been feeling very stressy because since April this year (2017), suddenly, I got a morse-code beep in my left ear appeared in my then T-free ear (its not very loud, but still I keep on focusing on it), though I have been protecting my ears rigorously (i.e. left was no T before april). That is, I avoid loud places, don't drink alcohol, moderate on coffee etc. Also, around the same time I developed a low buzzing sound, and no idea why, but its very annoying. But, after a couple of weeks I got reasonably used to it (again) though the focusing on my T. inceased. As many of you probably know, we T sufferers are quite aware of what to avoid and what not. Well, perhaps it might just be age then I guess why I got worse after April as I went to the ENT who said "nothing to be seen" (except for some earwax which was taken out). So, in a nutshell this is my T history. I do regulate my life for a great part around my T. being focused on it a lot, which sucks, but perhaps sounds familiar to some of you.

My question (finally, right?): I have been on business trips before and this involved long flights (>8 hours) as I live in Japan and have to go to Europe or Australia occasionally. What I usually do is put my earplugs in (Elacin ER25) and over that I put my noise-cancelling headphones. This basically blocks most of the sound so I hope I wouldn't have to worry about my T. getting worse (which is my great fear). However, on my flight two days ago from Tokyo-Sydney (where I am now) I found that the "contact" noise, by that I mean the noise coming from the frame of the airplane traveling via my chair, my bones, and eventually ending up in my head seemed quite noisy (more noisy than other flights I have taken in the past). However, there was nothing I could do, I tried different chairs, but to no avail. Now, after my flight, it seems as a result of my plane trip my general T is much noisier, as well as a new medium pitched T has developed in my right ear. I would like to ask you, how dangerous are long haul flights for tinnitus. I tried to block out the Engine sounds as much as I could (I sat in front of the plane, but unfortunately still next to the wing), I have no cold or any other sniffing or infections of my ear, nose etc. But, it seems clear (to me at least) that the spiking and this new sound is as a consequence of having taken the plane. Will it go away? or most likely stay?

Now, I haven't slept for two days (since the flight). I am afraid it will never disappear, I am afraid to take a plane back. Basically, I am very sad and I am desperate what to do. Although I am a very experienced 17-years T. sufferer, every time a new sound seems to appear, my heart jolts, I go into panic mode, can't sleep, which makes it worse, tonight I need to resort to sleeping pill (zolpidem) which I like to avoid. So, do you think that the airplane could have caused my new T? Also, I highly appreciate any tips on what you do to sleep better? I am really grateful for any insights and also for sharing your thoughts here to fellow sufferers on the forum. I just wished I wasn't such a stupid ass and keep on focusing on my T. Its not the end of the world, but why can't I seem to shake it down?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Take care,

Rinz

ps: just interested: do some of you also have the inclination that you don't wanna blame yourself for making it worse, and you go through great lengths to avoid noisy situations. Just you can say to yourseld "I did what I could"

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Zeneth
      Wishful

Zeneth Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe noise?
      Get these things called Earplanes if you can.

3. Flamingo1

Flamingo1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Earplanes don't block out any noise for me!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      On the the back of the package..

"The range of noise reduction rating for existing hearing protectors is approximately 0-30."

I wouldn't want to be wearing the ones with a 0DB NRR!!

5. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      @Rinz

for noisy plane rides the best are the Peltor x5a
      cut the bass very well and quite comfortable - you wont need plugs underneath as those are rated 31 db NRR
      seating location also makes a big difference, away from the engine is best

I alternate with solid silicone plugs or good foam like the moldex meteor if my temples feels sore

6. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      Try to rest and relax. It should return to normal. Even without protection the only times are take off/landing that should cause an issue anyway from my own measurements (I fly all the time). I use the bose qc35s and they are exceptional just in case.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rinz

Rinz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      Thanks everybody for your replies. I just wondered, because my right ear's new sound hasn't gone away (its like a 4500hz beep), its prolly gonna stay, or do some of you have the experience it goes away?... i just don't understand why I got that..I have a good Bose QC headset and the elacin plugs...
      I tried to sit as front I could, but not flying business class it's still next to the wing.. would the back be better then?
      My only answer is, it's conductance sound via my body or something.. just I'd like to hear your opinion and experience on this.. you know..I'm a week here now, it's 0529 local time.. Again a sleepless night.. Just very frustrated and sad.. and I also have to fly back which I'm dreading now.. Maybe I should shell out for business..