Alcohol ABOLISHES My Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by dudeguywithstuff, Sep 22, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. dudeguywithstuff

dudeguywithstuff Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      anxiety
      Can someone please explain how the erratic chirping / ticking noise in my ear disappears completely when I get drunk?

Sure, my ears will "ring" when I'm drunk. Probably just the effect of blood rushing through my ears. Or higher blood pressure which is just what happens when you're drunk.

I don't have a ringing noise, and I wish I did because it's hard to get used to a bird chirp every 3-4 seconds. It's like my ear saves up the ringing over the past few seconds and then releases it all at once.

I guess I could keep drinking 5-7 drinks every night to continue abolishing my condition. I think we all know where that would end up.

Has anyone else experienced something similar???

2. MikeP505
      Curious

MikeP505 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Punishment for being so darn good looking!
      @dudeguywithstuff

Never experienced the chirping symptoms you have. I have however been a little tipsy a couple times in the past and my T was still as loud as ever. I'm actually happy that's the case or I would be a raging alcoholic instead of a raging tinnitisoholic!!

3. dudeguywithstuff

dudeguywithstuff Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      anxiety
      For the record, the chirping symptom IS my tinnitus.

4. MikeP505
      Curious

MikeP505 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Punishment for being so darn good looking!
      @dudeguywithstuff

Ah OK. Mine is just a steady super high pitched screech in each ear. At least with Tinnitus, if I get pulled over by the coppers while driving, I can't charged with Tinnitus-and-driving!! Or DWT driving while tinnitusing! lol Be careful with the alcohol.

• Funny Funny x 1
    5. dudeguywithstuff

dudeguywithstuff Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      anxiety
      That's why I'd really like to know if anyone has something similar. The members of this forum tend to be fatalistic in the sense that if you have a sound in your ear, it is almost certainly cochlear damage that can't be cured and will continue forever. But the folks here also acknowledge that tinnitus has many causes. We of all people ought to be able to figure out what types of noises mean what and what changes in tinnitus lead to what future outcomes.

My noise is intermittent in the sense that I can still hear silence...it just gets interrupted by a chirp, kind of a WWSHH noise, and sometimes just a tick / click, every few seconds. If it's not constant, it seems like it shouldn't be cochlear damage. But it IS constant in the sense that it never stops sounding off every 3 seconds. (Unless I get drunk)

I would just love to hear someone comment on this. I've heard tinnitus described as "ringing, rushing, whooshing, tea kettle, jet engine", which all sound like constant noises. Then I hear it described as "chirping" or "clicking" which are INTERMITTENT noises. Can intermittent noises still be cochlear damage and be permanent? Does ANYONE have any expertise on this?

6. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      Wow 5-7 drinks a night. Consider what that would do to your life long term...though for right now maybe you are more focused on the noise in your head.
      Will give you the counterpoint to your question. First, there is no medical expert that can answer it with certainty. Second, there is no cure for tinnitus of any variety because it is a brain processing issue. Cochlea damage doesn't necessarily precipitate tinnitus. A person can be hard of hearing and not have tinnitus. Nobody yet has unraveled the mystery of redirecting the brain which creates an illusionary sound whatever hardware issue you may or may not have...cochlea, the analog to electrical signal creator or auditory cortex which processes the sound. I believe one day, this mystery will be solved and/or shorter term in next few years symptoms will be reduced. Only speculation and greater research needed. Meanwhile, consider reducing your drinking for your long term health. The noise in your head may even subside with time or you will habituate to it and it won't bother you as much.

Good luck.

7. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      Is it possible that the alcohol thins your blood enough to temporarily treat whatever it is thats causing your ticking/clicking?

If so, I wonder then if another type of blood thinner would cause the same thing to happen.. perhaps.. gingko biloba, or vinpocetine?

8. JasonP

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I don't know for certain but maybe because it is an NMDA antagonist and I believe it also has an effect on GABA as well.