All Those Drugs

Discussion in 'Support' started by Cor, Jul 15, 2014.

tinnitus forum
    1. Cor

Cor Member Benefactor Team Tech

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hey all. So about 8 weeks ago my tinnitus went from barely audible to life-altering. Most likely because I was told at that point I have tinnitus. Just being told probably spiked my anxiety, and so the tinnitus. At least, thats my theory.

Ever since ive first been on these meds:

- Parexotine: result even louder tinnitus, panic attacks, suicidal thoughts. Was seemed side effect on parexotine, discontinued after 3 days.

- switched to Alprazolam (xanax) 0,25mg pills, max 2 pills a day, usually no more than 1. This helped my anxiety a lot. t keeps rising slowly.

- at the same time as Alprazolam, also started Lormetazepam to sleep. At first 2mg, but that put me in a coma :) Switched to 1mg, seems just about right. Tried 0.5mg, didnt work as wel.

- yesterday my dr (in this case psychiatrist, who is currently my primary dr due to the panic attacks that i havent had since) switched me to Clonazepam for sleeping, since he wants me off the Lormetazepam. I get this, it's highly addictive. I think i slept bad, I felt awake continuously, but my wife is certain I slept a lot. This morning T is highest it's ever been. I didnt take any Alprazolam as he wants me off that as well as he thinks im not depressed. Good thing is, this dr also has tinnitus, and gets it. But I think he's a bit premature in removing me from xanax, as I feel emotionally a wreck this morning.

Im starting to think all these drugs are doing more bad than good. They're putting me on a roller coaster of emotions and tinnitus.

What do you all think about all these benzos, and drugs in general?

• Agree Agree x 3
    2. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      Be careful man, sounds like you've cycled through a lot of different drugs in relatively short period of time.

Great caution is needed when using benzodiazepines and anti-depressants. I've made a few posts on the subject before so I'll spare those who've had to read my stuff before, but you need to be really careful with anything that effects the GABA receptors in your brain, more specifically this relates to benzodiazepines and nonbenzodiazepine hypnotics.

Long term, continual use can lead to dependency and wicked withdrawal symptoms if not tapered correctly. My dependency on zolpidem (nonbenzodiazepine hypnotic drug, works exactly like any other benzo does) has definitely had all sorts of negative impacts on my life, and I think it played a role in my tinnitus/hyperacusis development.

In 8 weeks you've been put on an anti-depressant, and 3 different types of benzodiazpines. This will mess with your brain chemistry a bit and might be why you're not feeling too well. Taking two different types of benzodiazpeines at the same time is also a very bad idea because it will lead to dependency much quicker, I'm referring to using alprazolam and then lormatezpam at night - not a good combo. It's good that your current doctor is trying to get you on just the one.

Having said that though, I'm far from an expert on any of this and this is just my opinion based on my own experience and research. Benzodiazepines have their place, and are useful to deal with short term anxiety - but they are often over prescribed and many patients (understandably) don't understand the impact that these drugs can possibly have on them.

Just make sure you take things slow, see what works and what doesn't work for you. If you do continue to use a benzodiazpeine, just stick to using one type and try to limit your use so you're only taking it when you actually need it, otherwise it becomes way to easy to pop em' like candy. I would suggest you continue to research into the drugs you are taking and take things from there, there's plenty of information out there.

In the meanwhile, try to stay active, make sure you're getting plenty of exercise. I know it's hard to get moving when your feel so shitty but people seriously underrate the effect that rigorous exercise has on the body, it's the best thing for it. Eat well, try to get plenty of natural rest (easier said than done, I understand). Try to stay social and don't mull over your tinnitus, keep yourself distracted with work and friends. You can also try natural supplements like magnesium and maybe something like melatonin for sleep.

Anyway, hope you start to feel better man!

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Winner Winner x 1
    3. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      Good advice by @yonkapin.
      I take Remeron against depression, for sleep and maybe it also helps against anxiety.
      As yonkapin mentioned, take benzos only if needed. I myself have Tavor (lorazepam) here and if really needed (suicidal thoughts), take one. Try to get through the panic attacks by breathing, distraction or speak with someone. This helps me most.
      Try to find masking sounds that your T is not audible (at least partly).
      On the long run, you will get used to T and your anxiety will go down. But it takes time.
      I have a high-pitched dog whistle in my head and I know what you are going through.
      Stay strong,
      Martin

4. Cor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      @yonkapin ive only been taking a very low doses of xanax (0.25mg pills, max 2 a day, usually less) do I still need to taper? I have a couple dozen pills left over, and im wondering how to go about it.

Or will Clonazepam 0.5mg be the 'replacement', so i dont need to taper? Im on a tiny amount of Clonazepam i think, which is supposed to help me sleep.

The psychiatrist says sleep is the most important for me now so thats what he's going for. And he doesnt seem to think I need to taper Alprazolam since it was so little and only for maybe 4-6 weeks so far.

im quite active, own/ride horses, walk/bike (normally I run long distance but my achilles is acting up) eat well, from our own garden even :).

5. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      I think you should be fine to stop the Xanax. The clonazepam does indeed act as a replacement, so I would just stick to that for now and follow the advice of your current doctor.

Ah, that's awesome! Keep it up :D

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. undecided
      Fine

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Since your pdoc thinks that sleep is important for you, maybe you could ask him to look into Valdoxan, (to go along with the xanax for a little while, maybe). It is not a benzo or some sort of ssri, it's a melatonin receptor agonist (makes your brain develop a bigger liking for the sleep hormone :) ).
      It's usually prescribed as an anti-depressant, and in a way, I believe it serves its purpose.
      It's non-addictive so there's no withdrawal or possible taper to be concerned about.

That being said, i can't say I'm totally against benzos. Taken at therapeutic doses, they can provide certain relief.

7. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Hi Cor Glad you've found out your dr has tinnitus,he's walked in your shoes with it,I've only known 1 old dr with tinnitus,long retired,he hated tinnitus.So Drs get it,no ones immune.Wishing you well .Biggest of hugs xx

8. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I was on Ativan for a few years. I'm slowly getting the hell off them. I am gladly trading more T for less withdrawal symptoms.
      A few years ago I had high blood pressure so a dumb ass doctor put me on BP medicine AND Ativan. ???????
      Even having T for 40 years, I've never had anxiety like this. Ativan is fine if you want to feel nothing but tired. So I'm s l o w l y decreasing the Ativan, per doctor's order.

9. Cor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      It seems like he actually had a barotrauma event. I dont recall ever having one. Im fairly sure you'd know.

10. Cor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Im seriously considering moving to Mirtazipin (remeron) and dropping all the benzos. I think im really not suited to benzos. Or to SSRIs, as paroxetine gave me panic attacks.

11. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      Yes, take Mirtazapin and only take a benzo if really needed (panic, freaking out, suicidal thoughts).
      I am 9 months in with a high-pitched dog whistle in my head. In the meantime, I can go through my day without freaking out. Sometimes still crying. Took 4-5 times a benzo (tavor) in about 9 months. If really, really needed, take in addition an anti-anxiety med like obipramol. In Germany, they oftentimes give Remeron in the evening for sleep and an anti-anxiety med in the morning. I didn't want to take too much, so I only take Remeron which is an AD.

Try to find distractions when T overwhelmes you. Speak with someone, watch something on youtube, surf the internet, read success stories, write here. Mask with music, cricket sounds, white noise etc. It is a tough time, but many have habituated, although it is a long journey.

Stay strong Cor.

12. kevin b
      Fine

kevin b Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2014
      Just an FYI on SSRis- I have been using them for 20 years and have been on a few including Paxil- it is a very common start up side effect to get ramped up anxiety the first week or two when starting an SSRI- to give any of them a fair chance at working you honestly need to give them 2 weeks at a starting dosage to see how your body will react. For most people, not all, the bad side effects go away or go done considerably after your body adjusts. I am not trying to talk you into them but they can be useful and safe if taken properly, Paxil is noted to be the best AD for anxiety as well. Good luck

13. Cor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      @kevin b I know SSRIs have a ramped up anxiety startup. I was totally prepared for that. And indeed, on day 1 i felt some additional anxiety. But on day 3 I started to get a full on panic attack with high heart rate, sweating, etc at night, my t spiked, and I started to become suicidal. I did not consider that acceptable side effects, so I stopped paxil. I had never had a panic attack before in my life. Certainly never been suicidal. Those issues disappeared after stopping paxil.

It now seems im also not suited to Clonazepam. It seems to significantly increase my t.

14. Saz

Saz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus
      I have to say my experience with 1mg Lormetazepam was amazing. I got good sleep, no goofiness and clearheaded, and the intensity of te tinnitus vibration and noise calmed down. It was amazing. Doctor says it hasn't had its license renewed and is no longer available in the UK as a prescription. Yet it gave me my life back for a short time. Now have severe insomnia,, dizziness, deafness and the tinnitus is raging. Any comments or advice would be great at this point. Thanks

15. JasonP

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Try getting your hearing checked and see if you have hearing loss. If you do, try hearing aids that have maskers built in. That is drug free and might help lessen the noticability of the tinnitus.

16. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      If you were doing okay without drugs and are only on drugs as a result of the diagnosis, my advice is to stop taking that stuff and give it some time.

• Like Like x 1
    17. jeanoroid
      Yeehaw

jeanoroid Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / headphones
      Yup..
      The OP may assume Tinnitus is the problem - but it won't be long before the drugs are the problem.
      Been there and it's not worth it.

18. Cor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      That was almost 2 years ago. I havent been on any benzos for 1.5 years. I do take a sleeping aid which helps me sleep much better, but ive gone off of them several times just to proof Im not addicted :)

19. jeanoroid
      Yeehaw

jeanoroid Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / headphones
      My apologies. I didn't see the dates..
      How is the T now that it's been that long?

20. JasonP

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Just out of curiosity, do you know if a gram of fish oil increases or decreases your tinnitus or has no effect?

21. jeanoroid
      Yeehaw

jeanoroid Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / headphones
      To be certain - if there was a remedy or drug or whatever that was effective against T, we'd all be on it, big time.
      We know stuff like aspirin can increase T, but to this point no across-the-board options for decreasing it.
      I think the best method is to note what works for you..
      Crappy answer, but it's better than holding out hope that the 'Tinnitus Solution" is actually anything other than snake oil..

22. Cor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      My T is currently quite loud, but im doing much better myself.